Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Because I want to know.
Nobody can give you this answer, and you know that of course. Just like nobody can give you a definite number of photos you can fit on your memory card, and just like nobody can give you an exact number for the noise power your sensor produces at a particular temperature. Because the answer is: it depends on so many factors that this is not known beforehand. But that doesn't equate to unpredictability.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
No. not a wild guess, I am well positioned but obviously can't divulge the way I get this data as there are no non pre production model R5's out there and Sony are keeping the A7sIII under very tight wraps for a while yet. ;)

So either take my answer, realize that nobody can give you a better one (including Canon because they haven't tried it where you want to under the same conditions you would use it) or accept that to film 4K60 for 30 minutes is going to require a video camera.

The cool down and restart question is a bit more complicated and is a non linear sliding scale, the faster you restart it the less runtime you will get so unless you give me your expected down time or the expected follow on run time it is difficult to answer exactly as you keep asking. But here is a range I have garnered from my personal extended R5 use:-
1: Leave for 3 minutes you get a further 5:28
2: Leave for 5 minutes you get a further 8:57
3: Leave powered off completely for 20 minutes you get a full record time again.

I am deadly serious about the umbrella, in 95º heat you might come over all funny after 25/30 minutes...
As comprehensive an answer as possible at this current time thank you

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
You are so right - I don't have a camera that will over heat and shut down at any unpredictable time in above 73F, let alone outside in 95F. Even if I do what Canon suggests to do which is to bring a Fan with me...but they won't put it in their camera. They try to address the issue: "Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat" - really??, that is nothing new. Putting a fan in a camera can be done so that it remains weather resistance - they just can't do it without a good ROI.

Remind me again how you aren't trolling everyone and being needlessly negative?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You are so right - I don't have a camera that will over heat and shut down at any unpredictable time in above 73F, let alone outside in 95F.
So, what's you problem then, and how can we help you solve it?

Even if I do what Canon suggests to do which is to bring a Fan with me...but they won't put it in their camera.
It's just not a camera designed for your needs. It's a camera designed for my needs. Canon cannot please everyone, so they decided to please me and not you.

Life is unfair, sorry about that.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
You are so right - I don't have a camera that will over heat and shut down at any unpredictable time in above 73F, let alone outside in 95F. Even if I do what Canon suggests to do which is to bring a Fan with me...but they won't put it in their camera. They try to address the issue: "Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat" - really??, that is nothing new. Putting a fan in a camera can be done so that it remains weather resistance - they just can't do it without a good ROI.

Just don't buy it, it looks like the R5 will bring you lots of struggle and frustration, it already started even before you've bought it. Don't buy it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Forgive me if I missed where people recommended you do this, but surely you can just buy something else that shoots 4K60p for an unlimited duration? The R5 doesn't work for you, so, uh . . . okay?

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm a 100% photographer and 0% videographer. I don't even do sports. I just wish they can make this thing cheaper with no engineering bits for video at all.

I'm in the minority am I?

If I had a nickel for every time someone said this, I could actually afford an R5

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Last few days i figured out why the camera industry is doing so bad.
It's because 90% of customers are shooting 2 hour long oversampled 4K videos and they have not much choice.
Canon is missing the point by adding all the stills and video features in cameras. They should just focus on video.
On Sony forums people already decided the "R5 is a failure".

A7S3 and Panasonic S1H should sell in bigger quantities than Rebels.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I don't really understand how they thought that putting
in a marketing burner like 8k while neglecting to get
the very basics right (Full HD with good frame rates)
would be enough.

Yes, it is likely one of the best stills cameras Canon has
ever built. But then, my bunch of Canon DSLRs still performs
okay, and all the thing where the R5 shines don't happen at
the moment anyway. No nightlife, no concerts, no conventions
and tradefairs, no big weddings....

The camera would sit in a case most of the time.

At the same time my business is shifting towards video
for quite some time already. There's little use for high
resolutions in streaming, when most people watch on
a mobile device or a regular Full HD screen, so I couldn't
care less for 4k, let alone 8k.

Meanwhile, Blackmagic offers the URSA 4.6k G2 with
EF mount, featuring up to 300 fps and global shutter at
roughly the same price as the R5. No overheating, no
showstopper. Looks like this time Grant Petty will get
my money, and I might reconsider the R5 again when it
goes below 3k EUR and/or events and stage shows are
taken up again. Maybe next year, maybe the year after.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
would be enough.

Not everything is about streaming and video.
Some people think that the world revolves around video. The R5 is a stills camera too and needs to have plenty of other features including high resolution sensor and IBIS. Without those overheating would not be a problem.
Besides, 4K 30p and full HD does not overheating.
And 8K is useful for some, just like 4K120p is very useful. Or everything is useless if shoots less than 1 hour?
Looks like Black Magic is better for you and thats great.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
showstopper.

What keeps you from buying it? Is it the weight? Or the size? Or the power consumption?

BTW, it's not quite the same price.

Upvote 0
Here we go again with '8K is normal" and should work for infinity in a tiny body for a low price. It's not just acceptable but desirable to be irrational these days, apparently. No one is giving anyone a pass and blasting generalizations about people you disagree with is never a good start. Most of us are being reasonable about a new technology while you are expecting Canon to defy the laws of physics and to personally provide you with the impossible for whatever price you think is fair. You think they should have 'done what was needed' to stop overheating even if that would require compromising the entire rest of the camera, and for what? WHO, rationally, is shooting 8K or oversampled 4K60 indefinitely? Did you whine endlessly when Sony put out one of the first 4K MILC and it overheated? Did you call it a lemon moan about it? Are you on the AMD or Intel forums complaining that you should be able to overclock to 6 GHz or else their latest chip is a lemon? Like to see the cryogenic heatsink you think they should bolt onto their processor because overclocking to the end of what is possible is "normal operation".

Name one other camera that can shove out as much video data as the R5 will in a MILC and not overheat? There are none. The closest is the SH1, with its 6K, a fan, crappy focus, and a lot of engineering compromises and undesirable lens lineup, plus it costs more and lacks 8K. Heat is a basic problem for all electronics- lots of transistors reading out big sensors at fast rates means heat. Clearly you know nothing about the details of how anything works or why there is a limitation on the R5 and R6, albeit a pretty irrelevant one for most of us.

Imagine you even tried to use the R5: Do you even own a multi thousand dollar computer that can handle the 8K or oversampled 4K editing workflow? I have a fairly high spec. machine with lots of CPU, GPU, SSD, and RAM, and it is not ready for 8K without lots of time spent coding proxies and a heck of a lot more SSD project space. Do you have a single 700 dollar memory card to record just 20 minutes of 8K? How many were you going to get before you invest in a dedicated cinema camera and recorder? Where are your 8K monitors? How much hard drive do you have in raid arrays? I have 32TB and that won't be enough for an 8K project of any length, especially not with all my other data and projects.

These new R5/6 cameras can indeed be used on a production alone- by professionals with shot lists who don't just run their camera perpetually in ridiculous resolutions for long periods of time for no reason like some first day wedding photographer. The vast majority of professionals understand basic physics of electronics and that all tools have limitations. They probably have budgets to buy whatever is needed to utilize this tool realistically- like maybe a second body because even if you can shoot an 8K or 4K60 production with one camera, that is a really limited approach for most scenarios and if you are shooting a project that actually needs that resolution or rate, you probably are doing something really expensive anyway.

From the vast majority of complaints about an unshipped camera, It seems to be only complete amateurs who want a cinema camera they can use as a GoPro who have so many problems with this release. That or youtube shills who make their living with baseless opinions and controversy (sellouts, not real creatives). Truly, no one is interested in you sitting this one out, who cares?! You act like you are so intellectually superior but didn't make one cogent argument. You are so obviously being irrational and seem to be one of those perpetually entitled negative people. As if Canon has slighted you personally.

Your car analogy is the worst logical fallacy I have seen in a long while; what a ridiculous comparison. Brand new technology is in no way normal or perfect. If you want a comparable car analogy talk about new features that are firsts: look at how many infotainment systems have issues on first model years, or how sensing and driver assist systems of some brands were so awful as to be dangerous when first rolled out; and some still are. New features that push the envelope of what is possible are never as good as they will be with refinement- DUH! Engineering is actually pretty hard despite the spoiled masses having the result handed to them as if it was nothing. In any product be it a bridge, car, or camera, compromises must always be made to get a product to market. If I had it my way, the fruits of engineering and science would be banned and denied to the self entitled complaining masses who regard technology as magic and think they are always owed more for less. Let those whiners use sticks and stones or invent their own tools.

The bottom line is, by any reasonable accounting, these new R cameras are fantastic stills camera at the same price point roughly as their predecessors with some cutting edge, capable, and very usable video features for the vast majority of realistic use cases. Yet you present it as if its some lemon car....

Bravo!

• Love
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
would be enough.

Sounds like the Ursa is a better option for you in any case. If you don't mind, I'm curious what is driving your business shift to video? Not asking related to anything about this camera or that...just interested from the business perspective?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I'm a 100% photographer and 0% videographer. I don't even do sports. I just wish they can make this thing cheaper with no engineering bits for video at all.

I'm in the minority am I?

I’m paying a little more than $100 more for this camera today than I did for the 5D4 at launch..

It’s a bargain.

Upvote 0
So you cannot answer my question. You do not know and neither does anyone else. This camera is not predictable and not reliable.

Those words... do not mean what you think. But now I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. People are wasting their time with patient replies.

Upvote 0