Canon Releases New (Lacquerware) Lens Hoods

At least no chips were used up in Canon’s most recent product release: lacquerware lens hoods. Instead, they’re designed to hold chips. The Canon Japan swag is priced around the same price as Canon’s actual lens hoods, which says something about the markup on molded plastic.
Canon-lacquerware-nut-dish-168x168.jpg

Only a few dozen pieces were created and some were still available yesterday, according to new.mynavi.jp, from the Canon Japan site. Searching the Japanese online store this morning, however, seems to indicate they are all sold out.
They weren’t designed to actually latch onto their respective lenses, but rather to set flat on a table. The hoods, when available, were priced between about $40 and $145 USD.

Continue reading...

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I think the title needs a correction...

Canon Releases New (Ripoffware) Lens Hoods​

That's much better! :)

From the company that's always been too stingy to include a lens hood worth a few dollars on lenses costing hundreds of dollars, and sell lens hood as overpriced optional extras.

Now ripped off consumers can buy similarly overpriced novelty lens hoods, because they have money to p*** away when many people can't afford fuel for their cars.

For real lens hoods, buy third part JJC lens hoods, they're a high quality alternative that are much cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Interesting. They can produce this c*** but they can't deliver hoods for the RF16mm & RF 100-400mm. I have both hoods on backorder. Or is this just a Canon Rumor / Development Announcement?
Yes, same here too, I have waited 5 months for the hood for my RF16mm. My camera store send an email from time to time to tell me that they do no know when they can deliver the lens hood.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Yes, same here too, I have waited 5 months for the hood for my RF16mm. My camera store send an email from time to time to tell me that they do no know when they can deliver the lens hood.
JJC lens hood for RF 16mm, lots in stock, immediate shipping:
eBay US - https://www.ebay.com/itm/185140698989 US$12
Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Bayonet-Camera-Canon-Reversible/dp/B09KXQDCM7 for £11.99
Aliexpress JJC Official store - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003499474382.html US$13.99

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I received my hood 2 weeks ago, so they are starting to go out to stores. I ordered the hood as soon as it became available to order, which is, like you say, 5 months ago.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think the title needs a correction...

Canon Releases New (Ripoffware) Lens Hoods​

That's much better! :)

From the company that's always been too stingy to include a lens hood worth a few dollars on lenses costing hundreds of dollars, and sell lens hood as overpriced optional extras.

Now ripped off consumers can buy similarly overpriced novelty lens hoods, because they have money to p*** away when many people can't afford fuel for their cars.

For real lens hoods, buy third part JJC lens hoods, they're a high quality alternative that are much cheaper.
I agree. I've bought the JJC ones for the RF 100-400 and 800. They are about 1/5th the price in the UK and function more than adequately. I regard these plastic hoods as disposable crumple zones. It's not like putting a dodgy 3rd party battery in your camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
We now know why the RF 100-500mm is so much more expensive than the RF 100-400 - you pay for the white hood and they throw in the lens for free.
Next to the real lens hoods on the big whites, the one for the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 macro looks like an overgrown lens filter adapter, costs $45 and probably feels somewhat inadequate by comparison... :(

canon_2974c001_ew_52_lens_hood_1434054.jpg

Upvote 0