Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM confirmed, likely in Q4 [CR3]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I suspect it will be 1.4x/2x switchable without the 1x/bypass option. Such an option would not really be a 'bypass' since optics would be needed to preserve infinity focus, and no matter how good they are it will mean a loss of IQ. I'd love to be wrong, because a 1-1.4-2x three-way switchable TC would be great.
I'm impressed that Canon could have a TC zoom (eg 1.0-2.0x smoothly or else in steps). It seems obvious that a 1.0 X is using optics that give you the same image despite the additional spacing of the TC, and my guess is that a 0x would be no optics at all which would just be an extension tube which would give closer focus but no infinity focus (that would mean the optics swing out of the way). And that would have some uses I suppose since some people do like to use extension tubes for macro photography. Maybe the extension tube option (if that's what it is) would give really great images for closer objects that could never be within the typically long minimum focal range.

Upvote 0
Not to sound like a negative Nancy, but what exactly is “high demand” for the niche 100-300 lens? 100 units? 500 units?

I wonder what the demand would be for a 14, 24, 35 L Prime. Guess they have to leave something for users waiting and wanting more.
RIght now, high demand is more orders coming in than they planned to make.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Rumors have it that Canon is developing a switchable TC that can switch between 1.0x, 1.4x, 2.0x once mounted. If true, a switchable TC would address your concern.
It is not a rumor.
It is multiple patents.
Whether that turns into a real product is a different story.
All that I can say is that if it is all feasible then Canon needs to make it.
It would supercharge the already excellent Canon super-telephoto lineup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'd rather have an internal tc so I would not have to mount in the field, but a variable TC would be a really good innovation as you say. Fingers crossed.
It starts at 1.0x so you would only need to mount it in the field if you were switching between compatible and incompatible lenses.
At that point, you would be switching lenses in the field anyway.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm sorry to hear about your serious health issues, and hope that you are able to recover as much as possible. As many of us (myself included) enter our "golden years", it turns out that there can be a lot of rust among that gold, and a lot of our parts need to be fixed or replaced. As much of our news starts to become of other dear friends and family that are no longer with us, I can certainly agree that the news & prospect of better gear in a long loved hobby (or profession) can be very uplifting and stimulating. I wish you all the best as you enjoy your photography with whatever equipment and helpful software that you are able to afford.
Thanks very much. I'm so busy since I'm still pretty functional which is great except it doesn't leave much time for chasing birds. I've had too many irons in the fire! :)
Jack, knowing you well from afar over the past 10 years, I am sure you are making the best of it. Keep cheerful.
Alan
You got that right and thanks! I can't say I'm pleased but I can still laugh and for now I can still shoot but I've got so much unfinished business that I don't know if I'll get away on another bird shooting venture like in the past. OTOH I have so many unprocessed shots from my 10 years since getting back into the hobby that I won't be bored.

You've been super helpful in guiding most of my lens purchases so thanks for that and all the other good advice you contribute!

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am sure there will be some who love this and find it very useful and a substitute for multiple lenses. But, I am not one of them. Leaving aside the price, it's weight - no way could I take this out on a hike and it will be too heavy for me to hand hold steady or for BIF. My birding guru @arbitrage recently posted on FM he has sold his Sony 200-600mm f/6.3 because he goes either for lightness or using his long primes and takes his 100-400 instead, and a 200-500/4 is even more of a burden. I really do think the 100-500mm is the ideal compromise for me and I thank Canon for that.
Well, I'm sure I won't afford this one. I see it more as a sports lens or birding lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Also heard someone said it includes a 3rd mode of IS, if it isn't speculations that will combine horizontal and vertical stability. Not confirmed but if true, it'll be a wonderful feature.
There’s already a Mode 3 IS on supertele lenses, it activates IS only when you take the shot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I meant to say, a mode that stabilizes both movements simultaneously, because the 3rd is actually for a stronger degree of stabilization as far as I understand.
I don’t understand. Mode 1 (and 3) already stabilize both pitch and yaw. Mode 2 disables stabilization in the direction of panning.

Upvote 0
I had a confusion about that, and a while ago emailed Rudy Winston my concern and he replied that:

1st mode is built to stabilize horizontal motion when panning.

2nd mode is to stabilize vertical motion when panning.

3rd mode is for a higher level of stabilization, but on one direction only vertical, same as mode 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I had a confusion about that, and a while ago emailed Rudy Winston my concern and he replied that:

1st mode is built to stabilize horizontal motion when panning.

2nd mode is to stabilize vertical motion when panning.

3rd mode is for a higher level of stabilization, but on horizontal direction only.
Sorry, you still have confusion. I doubt that’s what Rudy Winston stated, it is contrary to everything Canon says about IS.

Here is what they say:

On more recent IS lenses, you have the option of two or three IS modes, as follows:

Mode 1 (standard): When IS Mode 1 is selected on a stabilised lens, the IS system works in the same way as the original system and will correct both pitch and yaw movements. It is the best mode to use when you're photographing static subjects.

Mode 2 (panning): Mode 2 is the best setting to use when you're panning the camera to follow a moving subject. It sets the lens to ignore the panning movement and compensate only for movement that is perpendicular to the panning direction. It also ensures a smoother image in the viewfinder.

The IS system automatically detects the direction of the pan, so there's no need to worry about whether you are composing portrait-format or landscape-format images or which direction you are moving the camera.

Mode 3 (during exposure only): Image Stabilizer Mode 3 was introduced in 2010 with the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM (now succeeded by the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM) lenses. It's also built into a number of telephoto and zoom lenses in Canon's EF lens and RF lens lineups, including the RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM.

Upvote 0
Sorry, you still have confusion. I doubt that’s what Rudy Winston stated, it is contrary to everything Canon says about IS.

You might be right about the literature but to my experience with what "Rudy stated" in his reply to my questions the system has been working on me in 100%

IS systems on cameras and lenses may actually hurt your panning technique that's because you are moving from left to right or vice-versa, it might try to correct your movement but you actually don't want this corrected.
This can be solved by using the panning mode or sport mode on lenses that are designated to only correct movements up and down, and to not correct movements left to right or vice-versa, that would be mode 2 on canon lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I meant to say, a mode that stabilizes both movements simultaneously, because the 3rd is actually for a stronger degree of stabilization as far as I understand.
The explanation given for mode 3 being 'better' is that the elements in the IS group start centered, with the other modes it might have been forced to the extremes while stabilizing the viewfinder and needs to shift back rapidly to reset during the actual shot.

Since most of what I shoot is close-up, I appreciate a stabilized viewfinder in Mode 1 more than a theoretical improvement using Mode 3 :) But YMMV, I don't do sports or wildlife, things are different for those.

Upvote 0