Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM confirmed, likely in Q4 [CR3]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The dual pixel (or quad) AF will allow the position of all parts of the image to have their distances measured and the correct out of focus calculated. I am sure that is possible now but too slow for everyday use in current cameras. It will happen.

Since the 5D4 you can enable 'DPRAW' which stores both halves of the DPAF sensel instead of the combined value, resulting in RAW file twice the usual size. You can then use DPP4 to adjust the focus a tiny bit: https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/my/...-new-dpp-features-for-correcting-dpraw-images

The R5 has in-camera DPRAW processing to relight faces and blur backgrounds:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, Alan, you and some others may have wondered. I'm now burdened by serious health issues but hopeful and what can be more stimulating than the prospect of better gear! :)
Jack, knowing you well from afar over the past 10 years, I am sure you are making the best of it. Keep cheerful.
Alan

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"...I upgrade regularly, but the quality of my images has not improved..." Come on Alan, you surely don't believe that, I don't. :)
Would I lie to you! Since the 5DIII and 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTCIII 10 or 11 years ago, I haven't looked back. Then in 2015, I got the 50 Mpx 5DSR which set a new level for IQ, which has remained the same for me for the past 7 years: my 5DSR + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTCIII, about the same then as my Nikon D850 + 500mm f/5.6 PF, and now my R5 + RF 100-500mm, which is nearly as good as my Nikons. Here's a shot of a kingfisher from 2013 at 600mm f/5.6 iso 1250, just reprocessed in DxO PL6 with standard lens sharpening and no other post processing. It was against a far background as any observable background tends to distract. It's as good as any kingfisher I have shot since. (DxO PL 6 with its superior RAW processing does improve images).

2U4A6871 -DxO_Kingfisher_fowlmere_2013_08_15.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Someone skilled enough at photo editing can pull that off.
Ansel Adams is considered a great photographer but he was also a great photo editor.
I am not denying that great equipment is worth the money but if you don't have it then "fake it until you make it".
And if they can, I salute their talent. Postprocessing is an underrated skill.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
the 1 stop difference between f4 and f2.8 is huge given the low light of the milky way and the shutter speed limitations for trailing stars if not using a tracker. Focusing will be manual and at infinity
Well, it can't be bigger than the difference between ISO2500 and ISO5000 or what have you. I take your point though that at very high ISOs, one stop IS a visible degradation, in a way it isn't below 2500.

Besides I didn't know we were talking about 14mm and astrophotography. I meant to be talking about upgrading from 500/7.1 to 500/4 or some such for birds. I may have two conversations confused now :-D but my point was that f/4 helps get a nicer bird shot IF: 1) background not so near it's in good focus even at f/4, 2) background not so far it's bokeh even at f/7.1, 3) detailed enough to be distracting, 4) not desired in composition. While there are definitely shots that f/4 would help, it's definitely not all shots and maybe not even a majority of shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
No way! The EF wins by a mile. It's 3-4x cheaper, 30% lighter, substantially smaller (especially with the hood), and has a focus window.
If you like I'm happy to hear it! I wish things I liked were 3-4x cheaper than they are!

I should have clarified but I was talking about sharpness, but that's obviously not the only or even sometimes not the most important criteria.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry, to hear that.
That is a pretty common reason for upgrading to smaller and lighter gear.
But, Jack is salivating at the thought of upgrading to a bigger white lens than his old 400mm DO II! Seriously, at my age, smaller and lighter gear gives me more good shots as I can carry the kit with me anywhere. The R7 + RF100-400 combo is damned good if you know how to get the best out of it at f/8. Fortunately, I can still comfortably manage with the 100-500.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
An interesting way to calculate it, but not sure the assumptions are correct.

Some other data points to consider. There are just under 150 professional sports teams in North America and there are 350 Division 1 schools in the NCAA. So that's a total pool of 500 in all of North America. Schools smaller than Division I are not going to draw photographers using $10,000 lenses, if they draw any photographers at all (most likely local newspaper photographers and sports information office photographers.) Having shot at a small college for several years, I can count on one hand the number of other professional photographers I ran into at games in any given year. I met maybe four other photographers in the entire time that had equipment similar to mine (70-200 mm F2.8 lenses indoors and a 100-400 or 100-500 zoom outdoors). Never met anyone that had a big white.

At the top tier level (professional sports and NCAA Division I Universities) the photographers are not covering just one team in one city, but are traveling from city to city covering games. Of course, no one can be in two places at once and there are many photographers are these events, but still, you have to stretch things quite a bit to get to your 20 top tier sports photographers in every city of three million.

Of course, neither of us really knows.

But, I am more inclined to fall back on @neuroanatomist 's assessment of the market, which is that the real money and real demand is always in wealthy amateurs who have disposable income and no need to balance the expense against earnings. I would also agree that this lens is probably more about Canon's image than it is about profits. (of course image does translate into profit.) The 200-400 and now the 200-500 is a highly visible lens on the sidelines of major sporting events and helps Canon retain it's image for the public that if you want to be a "real" photographer, you need a distinctive white lens.
As a veteran of 40 years shooting sports professionally, I agree with these calculations. However, remember all sports shooters want to shoot "jest a lettle bit wide" so they don't miss outstretched hands, the racquet, the ball, etc. knowing they, or their editors, will crop in post. The number of pro shooters that can justify the cost and will pursue these new lenses is small. And when it comes to cropping, the new R1 will afford cropping an 80-100 meg file.....

Upvote 0
Back to the topic of this lens....I for one am disappointed that canon has opted not to design an internal tc for this lens...Or to release a fixed focal length long lens with an internal tc. My dream lens is the nikon 600tc. Flip of a switch and instantaneously you have a longer/shorter lens. Having to mount a tc in the field takes time, time that for wildlife can mean getting the shot or not. Nikon seems to have the innovation in their long lenses, between the mega expensive long primes with internal tc's and the small and light 400 4.5 and 800pf. I'd like to see more of this from Canon. For me, the 200-500 just isn't long enough so I'll stil with my rf600f4, and for closer in wildlife I'll keep using my 100-500.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Back to the topic of this lens....I for one am disappointed that canon has opted not to design an internal tc for this lens...Or to release a fixed focal length long lens with an internal tc. My dream lens is the nikon 600tc. Flip of a switch and instantaneously you have a longer/shorter lens. Having to mount a tc in the field takes time, time that for wildlife can mean getting the shot or not. Nikon seems to have the innovation in their long lenses, between the mega expensive long primes with internal tc's and the small and light 400 4.5 and 800pf. I'd like to see more of this from Canon. For me, the 200-500 just isn't long enough so I'll stil with my rf600f4, and for closer in wildlife I'll keep using my 100-500.
Rumors have it that Canon is developing a switchable TC that can switch between 1.0x, 1.4x, 2.0x once mounted. If true, a switchable TC would address your concern.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Rumors have it that Canon is developing a switchable TC that can switch between 1.0x, 1.4x, 2.0x once mounted. If true, a switchable TC would address your concern.
I suspect it will be 1.4x/2x switchable without the 1x/bypass option. Such an option would not really be a 'bypass' since optics would be needed to preserve infinity focus, and no matter how good they are it will mean a loss of IQ. I'd love to be wrong, because a 1-1.4-2x three-way switchable TC would be great.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I
Hey Tom, I'm reading that the Summer Olympics gets around 2000 photogs. What percentage of the world's sports photogs work the Olympics in your opinion? Might it be about 10%?
Keep in mind that CPS has a very heavy presence at the Olympics, supplying photographers and agencies with loaner lenses, so don’t assume that all the big whites you see at the Olympics are owned by the photographers or their employers.

Upvote 0