Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM Confirmed for 2024 [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
I'm overall fine with this strategy, but the lake of fleshing out the L-Primes in particular since the RF Mount's release has been glaring. Currently the 50, 85, and 135 are truly the best in their class across all manufacturers. And yes, that does come with a price.
There are 9 RF L-series primes and 11 RF L-series zooms. Not sure how that qualifies as 'not fleshing out' the L-series prime lineup. I suspect what you mean is that they've ignored the fast, wide angle primes so far. But outside of that, there are L-series primes ranging from 50mm - 1200mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You're fully entitled to believe they're wrong as in, they should (because it's what you want).

But not as in they must (in order to succeed/survive).
I agree. I'm not the one suggesting that Canon is failing or will fail for not providing prosumer f/1.4 primes. I have no doubt they clearly understand where their efforts are best spent to maximize return on investment (of R&D, marketing, etc.). I'm just sick of seeing the corporate simping every time someone says that Canon "needs" to make moderately sized f/1.4 primes. We get it, Canon knows their sales figures and market segments better than anyone on these forums. People aren't going to stop talking about their want/"need" for f/1.4 lenses, but I guess they have to be put in their place... every, single, time.......... :rolleyes: which results in every other post from a specific member being corporate mansplaining about "Canon knows best", intended to belittle those who want something more affordable and less heavy than "statement lenses" that are still better than the "rice & beans" tier of RF primes.

In the end, the complaining masses will "win" the argument, not by objectively correct viewpoints, but simply by volume; trying to "correct" them only serves to make yourself look/feel superior for understanding market forces and product management, and make the masses look feeble for thinking they know what an industry giant should do better than the giant itself. Should people realize their wants are wants, and that they aren't representative of the market? Absolutely! But most people aren't nearly that self-aware, especially when they want something reeeeeally baaaad.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Should people realize their wants are wants, and that they aren't representative of the market? Absolutely! But most people aren't nearly that self-aware, especially when they want something reeeeeally baaaad.
Yes, many people have demonstrated they have the business acumen of a bowling ball. Being told that doesn't seem to stop them from posting the same inane comments.

Here's a tip: if reading posts from a specific member bothers you, just add that person to your ignore list. Or, you can just keep mansplaining how annoying it is to re-read similar responses as you repeatedly excuse the asinine comments from people who can't seem to grasp that their personal needs don't represent those of the majority. For example, you're not the one who said Canon's f/1.8 primes are crappy, but you're supporting and thus tacitly agreeing with someone who did say that. You might consider how that reflects on you.

Upvote 0
I agree. I'm not the one suggesting that Canon is failing or will fail for not providing prosumer f/1.4 primes. I have no doubt they clearly understand where their efforts are best spent to maximize return on investment (of R&D, marketing, etc.). I'm just sick of seeing the corporate simping every time someone says that Canon "needs" to make moderately sized f/1.4 primes. We get it, Canon knows their sales figures and market segments better than anyone on these forums. People aren't going to stop talking about their want/"need" for f/1.4 lenses, but I guess they have to be put in their place... every, single, time.......... :rolleyes: which results in every other post from a specific member being corporate mansplaining about "Canon knows best", intended to belittle those who want something more affordable and less heavy than "statement lenses" that are still better than the "rice & beans" tier of RF primes.

In the end, the complaining masses will "win" the argument, not by objectively correct viewpoints, but simply by volume; trying to "correct" them only serves to make yourself look/feel superior for understanding market forces and product management, and make the masses look feeble for thinking they know what an industry giant should do better than the giant itself. Should people realize their wants are wants, and that they aren't representative of the market? Absolutely! But most people aren't nearly that self-aware, especially when they want something reeeeeally baaaad.
I think "corporate simping" is unfair. I dunno how long you've been on these forums but we've had people throwing tantrums for at least the decade I've been here - though the reasons have varied over the years. I don't think it's inappropriate to remind those people that in all that time, Canon's strategy has succeeded, by the only metric we have which is sales (however calculated). Sure it can be repetitive, but so are the trolls.

Tbh I find the angsty frustration a bit strange, always have. But then there's always been a lot more great kit I couldn't afford for me to spend time dreaming up stuff that doesn't exist.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There are 9 RF L-series primes and 11 RF L-series zooms. Not sure how that qualifies as 'not fleshing out' the L-series prime lineup. I suspect what you mean is that they've ignored the fast, wide angle primes so far. But outside of that, there are L-series primes ranging from 50mm - 1200mm.
Yes, that is what I meant by "stopped at the 50mm".

And to be explicitly clear. The 50 and 85 came out in 2018 and 2019. Pandemic year being a wash and likely delaying some aspects of manufacturing as some have closed and other have transformed, I do think it's glaring we didn't get the 35mm prior to 2024. Canon did do right by releasing the 35mm f/1.8 Macro the same year as the 50mm f/1.2, which is a very useful and nice lens, but there are those who are looking for what the L-Series version might offer over that.

In 2019, what Canon did very right was releasing the trio of f/2.8 zooms that are bread and butter lenses for working professionals. There's been some nice surprises since and a few odd ducks, but yeah, 4-5 years later, I don't mind saying the lake of 24 and 35 L-Series primes is fairly noticeable.

I moderately omit the 400mm and 600mm RF L-Series from the count as they are fixed RF Mount, based on the EF designs prior. Long terms I think both those lenses get updated and likely noticeably smaller. And the "other" 85mm L I also omit from the count for that matter. Also, the dual fisheye I can't count as it's a specialty lens, although an extremely impressive one.

For kicks though, here's what's actually out in the prime realm for normal imaging.

- 50mm f/1.2L (2018)
- 85mm f/1.2L (2019)
- 100mm f/2.8L Macro (2023)
- 135mm f/1.8L (2022)

- 400mm f/2.8L IS (2021)
- 600mm f/4L IS (2021)
- 800mm f/5.6L IS (2022)
- 1200mm f/8L IS (2022)

So yes, I standby my statement that it's been eerily long without wider than 50mm on that list. I've added the space in there to separate the general photography lenses from more specialty lenses in there.

To their credit, the 100-300mm f/2.8L IS is very impressive and makes up for the leap in super telephotos to a degree and opens up the door of wonder of what the next 300mm prime might end up being. I also can see them aiming at f/2 there and perhaps long term a 200mm f/1.8 or f/2, which I truly think would benefit from a new design rather than a simple RF mount being added to the last generation of optics. The 400mm and 600mm EF designs are very good, also best in class really, and I can see why they went with the rigid/built-in adapter concept for now versus putting resources to make new glass there.

New good lenses take time. I'm fine with that aspect. And L-Series ideally are state of the art lenses when it comes down to it. I'm hoping part of the delay has been refining the new wides a fair bit.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The funniest thing to me about all of this is, I've had the existing RF 35mm and don't even use it that much, and when I do as often as not it's in crop mode. I guess it's not a focal length I can get to grips with (but I almost never photograph people).
Funny how different photographers can be!
Even though I hardly ever photograph people (lacking the required talent or social competence) , I use the 35mm focal for approximately 40 to 50 % of my pictures, perhaps even more. And yet, my first real camera was an SRT 101 with a 50mm. So, I can't even say I got spoiled by the Leica M and its usual "standard" 35mm. De gustibus...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, that is what I meant by "stopped at the 50mm".
Makes sense.

I do think it's glaring we didn't get the 35mm prior to 2024.
The EF 35/1.4L II is one of the most recent L primes for the EF mount, launched in 2015. I suspect that factored into the decision to give the RF version a lower priority. But the 24/1.4L II is now 15 years old and could be improved significantly (as was the case with the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2).

For kicks though, here's what's actually out in the prime realm for normal imaging.

- 50mm f/1.2L (2018)
- 85mm f/1.2L (2019)
- 100mm f/2.8L Macro (2023)
- 135mm f/1.8L (2022)
The RF 100/2.8L Macro launched in 2021.

Upvote 0
@clearwaterphotog joined 4 months ago. S/he seems to have been perseverating on this issue from the early on in his/her tenure.
My feelings are the same as they were in August. I'd rather hear about what people want to see even if it's the same asks. I grow tired of explanations that a business does what they think is right for them, just as tired as you are, if not more, of people asking/begging for something that doesn't exist yet. If we're not on this forum to talk about what we don't like about Canon, are we supposed to only talk about what we do like? Do you honestly want this place to be an echo chamber of agreeable individuals? Because it's already dangerously close to that.

As for ignoring the person I mentioned, they're clearly intelligent and occasionally post something useful or novel, so I reluctantly accept that I might learn from them. I have exercised the ignore feature for less useful individuals however.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I grow tired of explanations that a business does what they think is right for them, just as tired as you are, if not more, of people asking/begging for something that doesn't exist yet.
I have zero problem with people asking/begging for something that doesn't exist yet. I do have a problem with people that claim the lack of that something (whatever it is) spells doom for Canon or that everyone else wants that something that they want.

Now, let me see if I understand this...people post comments that they have no evidence to support ('Canon would be a lot better off releasing a lighter, cheaper f/1.4 lens than an f/1.2 lens that nobody wants), or post insults ("Someone simply asks for a lens and they defend Canon like they work for them. Losers."), and responding to those posts is tiresome mansplaining. But your repeated replies to those responses are just you expressing your valid feelings. Sure, sure.

If we're not on this forum to talk about what we don't like about Canon, are we supposed to only talk about what we do like? Do you honestly want this place to be an echo chamber of agreeable individuals? Because it's already dangerously close to that.
Not sure how often this needs to be repeated until it becomes clear to you: say what you want, complain or praise, it's all good. Just don't claim that your opinions have any consequences for Canon. They don't.

Plenty of people have expressed complaints about Canon's decisions, me included. I just don't delude myself into thinking that my opinion is relevant as far as the ILC market is concerned. As I've said many times and @scyrene mentioned above, people on CR have been claiming this or that decision of Canon's will be detrimental for the company...and history has shown those claims to be foolish.

Upvote 0
I think "corporate simping" is unfair. I dunno how long you've been on these forums but we've had people throwing tantrums for at least the decade I've been here - though the reasons have varied over the years. I don't think it's inappropriate to remind those people that in all that time, Canon's strategy has succeeded, by the only metric we have which is sales (however calculated). Sure it can be repetitive, but so are the trolls.

Tbh I find the angsty frustration a bit strange, always have. But then there's always been a lot more great kit I couldn't afford for me to spend time dreaming up stuff that doesn't exist.
I've been on these forums for far less time than I've been reading and participating in photography forums, so I'm no stranger to people throwing "tantrums" for things they want. I'm not used to seeing community soldiers specifically target the tantrums with explanations of corporate strategy, though. One would think that that's going to be a losing battle; there will always be more complainers than can be addressed, unless you have a full time job of policing forums and reminding people that their desires don't matter to the companies that are trying to sell products (but apparently not to them).

I also don't think a 35/1.4 is something you have to dream up. Now an 18-50/2L, a lens that would replace both a UWA and standard zoom, for trips where I can't swap lenses, sounds amazing, but yes I've spent a good deal of time dreaming it up and fantasizing about how nice it would be to have everything besides telephoto in a single lens, with the ability to shoot in really low light or get moderate bokeh as well. Funny, though - why would anyone, especially Canon, want to make a lens that results in you needing less lenses? That would mean less money in their pocket, no? So it might seem foolish to continually beat the drum for such a lens, because I do recognize it addresses requirements that few photographers are likely to have, and therefore the market for it is almost certainly too small to justify R&D, production, marketing, all that. But moderately sized 85/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, that photography veterans have been used to having available to them for decades, from all of the major brands? You don't need to be living in a fantasy world to want that... but I guess wanting to use native mount lenses puts you back in the fantasy world?

I'm tired of the debate. We're all tired of complainers. Tired of mansplainers. If Canon would just release a slew of f/1.4 L primes, everything would be right in the world, and we'd all have everything we want, and there would be nothing left to complain about!

Upvote 0
Even though I hardly ever photograph people (lacking the required talent or social competence) , I use the 35mm focal for approximately 40 to 50 % of my pictures, perhaps even more. And yet, my first real camera was an SRT 101 with a 50mm. So, I can't even say I got spoiled by the Leica M and its usual "standard" 35mm. De gustibus...
That's interesting! What subjects do you use it for?

Upvote 0
One would think that that's going to be a losing battle; there will always be more complainers than can be addressed
True enough, and many are ignored. But the alternative is to let them set the tone of the forum. I think an occasional reality check can be of use.
I also don't think a 35/1.4 is something you have to dream up.
Fair, although if they have decided on f/1.2 I wouldn't hold my breath.
Funny, though - why would anyone, especially Canon, want to make a lens that results in you needing less lenses? That would mean less money in their pocket, no?
You would think, and yet they seem to have prioritised zooms over primes, so I wouldn't dare to guess now.
But moderately sized 85/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, that photography veterans have been used to having available to them for decades, from all of the major brands? You don't need to be living in a fantasy world to want that... but I guess wanting to use native mount lenses puts you back in the fantasy world?
I don't personally fully understand it, sorry. There's a f/1.8, there will apparently soon be a f/1.2. The market has shrunk, is there still room for a third rank of lenses between those two? Again that's rather above my pay grade to answer.
Tired of mansplainers.
Just a point of order, that word doesn't seem appropriate here, but whatever.
If Canon would just release a slew of f/1.4 L primes, everything would be right in the world, and we'd all have everything we want, and there would be nothing left to complain about!
Oh my sweet summer child.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's interesting! What subjects do you use it for?
Mostly for landscapes, cities (unless a TS lens is needed), handheld in churches or museums, when allowed. I like its natural perspective despite it being a WA.
But I'm speaking of a very lightweight Leica M lens. After so many years with film and digital Ms, I'd miss both the M and the Summilux , my sharpest lens. My two "muscle memories" are the M + Summilux and the 5 DIV + EF 100-400 II. Soon it could (will) be the R 5II.
The RF 1,2/35 is very tempting, if I buy it, I may use it in a different context.
PS: I'm currently trying to find this different context to justify buying it...;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm not used to seeing community soldiers specifically target the tantrums with explanations of corporate strategy, though.
So if everyone agreed with the people demanding Canon make the particular product they want or else, that wouldn’t be an echo chamber, right? No, I’m sure that would be perfectly fine. But providing a valid business reason that ‘demand’ (from n=1) isn’t likely to be met constitutes a forum dangerously full of mansplaining simping corporate soldiers. Sure, sure.

Funny, though - why would anyone, especially Canon, want to make a lens that results in you needing less lenses? That would mean less money in their pocket, no?
So you’d rather sell 500 widgets for $1 each than 50 widgets for $20 each? That a fancy-looking little business degree you found at the bottom of your box of Cracker Jacks.

I'm tired of the debate. We're all tired of complainers. Tired of mansplainers.
I know, it’s hard to escape yourself. But try.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I only use my magic 35-85mm f1.4 crybaby zoom

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
All three major brands offer cameras that are wildly better than every camera from five years ago. If Canon doesn’t sell a native lens that is critical for you, why are you here? Plenty of people are churning out amazing photos of all genres with Sony. My uncle is out there nailing cycling photos and collecting landscape awards with his Z9. I bought Canon mirrorless based upon it having the lens I most wanted, and not upon what I imagined they must make, so of course I’m pleased and a fan. They are even releasing a weather sealed 200-800 that I could actually afford and never expected. Awesome. Of course I don’t have the budget to responsibly buy many of these lenses and still be a responsible family man, but really, what am I supposed to not be excited about? What manufacturer of any product expects the people willing to pay the most wait longer. The notion is preposterous.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0