Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye VR Demo

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A couple of weeks ago Canon Asia posted a VR demonstration of the brand-new Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Lens Fisheye on their YouTube Channel. I finally had the chance to view the video on my son’s Oculus, which he seems to always hide from me.
I think this lens is going to bring many new creators into the VR space.  I think this lens is going to make things easy for anyone to get into it.
If Canon’s VR software which will be subscription-based is well done, this lens is going to be a big seller.
I highly recommend you check out the above video with whatever VR viewing device you may have.
Preorder: Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye Lens

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It's pretty impressive using a google cardboard thingy for your phone as well. I wish my phone would have a better resolution, 2532 x 1170 divided over 2 eyes gives a noticeable screen-door effect.
Now I need to find a pair of affordable, stand-alone VR goggles that don't require facebook.....
HTC Vive! I just bought my son Oculus last Christmas because of the price. I do hate the Facebook thing.

Upvote 0
The compression is very bad. The real footage probably looks crazy in 8k.

Yah, compression appears to be a big factor even once you are at 4K. In my experience, even at 4K VR, anything below ~50Mbps has clearly noticeable artifacts, and you get big benefits all the way up to to 200MBPS (H265). Obviously, if you go up to 8K, you are going to need much higher bit rates than 4k to avoid artifacts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
The compression is very bad. The real footage probably looks crazy in 8k.
Looks good to me on my 27k inch Apple Display, and I'm a professional video editor. This is very good quality. (make sure you manually select the higher output possible, 4320s or 2160s, lower than that I start noticing some compression artifacts, but nothing too crazy anyway)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Looks good to me on my 27k inch Apple Display, and I'm a professional video editor. This is very good quality. (make sure you manually select the higher output possible, 4320s or 2160s, lower than that I start noticing some compression artifacts, but nothing too crazy anyway)
I did that 4k and 8k look no different. It's not clean.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yah, compression appears to be a big factor even once you are at 4K. In my experience, even at 4K VR, anything below ~50Mbps has clearly noticeable artifacts, and you get big benefits all the way up to to 200MBPS (H265). Obviously, if you go up to 8K, you are going to need much higher bit rates than 4k to avoid artifacts.
I hope we can download the actually footage. 8K Vr seems kinda cool to watch.

Upvote 0

The real test is VR, and it’s artifact filled mess shot at 30fps (the limit of the R5 in 8k). Canon showing their inexperience with the format by debuting footage shot at 30fps for VR.

Upvote 0
Watched this on my quest 2 in VR, youtube and highest quality setting. Absolute garbage video quality, I can't believe Canon would use something of this quality to demo a new product. My insta360 EVO records higher quality VR180.

Agreed. They would have been much better using 4K 10 bit at 60fps as the source file, and then using Vimeo so they can make the original (uncompressed) available for download. Would have resulted in much better IQ and smoothness. Also, they choose a very dynamic scene which will make compression on Youtube look so much worse.

I am still going to pre-order this, but I won't keep it unless it ends up compatible with the R3, which can do 6K raw at 60fps.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The real test is VR, and it’s artifact filled mess shot at 30fps (the limit of the R5 in 8k). Canon showing their inexperience with the format by debuting footage shot at 30fps for VR.
BS. You can cast VR from the headset to PC. May you should choose another device to view it on. Looks stunning ln my 65" monitor. The camera operator is not "Canon". Canon is a pioneer in 8k. Maybe a review in of the formats history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0