Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

Considering the cost of the printing and targeted guests, I'm leaning on the "go big or go home" side. FF sensor and EF mount for my wishes.
If you stop and think, this forum has had many pages of wish list items for a FF mirrorless. If Canon reads this forum, all the info is here for a design decision.
Upscaling the M5 body to FF would be a start but it better have a proper flippy LCD. :)
If the new FF mirrorless was based up the 5D Mark IV body with a flippy LCD, I'm in for another budget meltdown.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ahsanford said:
Don Haines said:
OMG!

ITS THE 50F1.4 IS!

At last! At long last!

Sony is doomed!

They are just saying mirrorless camera announcement because they want everyone to be there and not spoil the big surprise......

Too soon, Don. Too soon.

- A

But I need one for a job tomorrow ☹️ I guess I have to borrow the old one again.....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
Upscaling the M5 body to FF would be a start

I hope they don't do that. That grip, even if upscaled, would not hold fast glass comfortably for very long.

FF mirrorless needs a chunky grip*, full stop.

*Provided it will be able to adapt/use EF glass, which it certainly will. A non-EF adapting FF mirrorless body that only offer slower / lighter / shorter lenses could get by with a small grip, but I can't imagine an alternate universe where Canon would think abandoning EF would be a good idea.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Don Haines said:
But I need one for a job tomorrow ☹️ I guess I have to borrow the old one again.....

I will say this: however fragmented the 50 prime camp is between the 'magic seekers' and the sharpness obsessives, those wanting an L vs. a non-L replacement, a retrofocus pickle jar vs. a compact double gauss, etc. the release of the 85 f/1.4L IS will have a lot of folks saying "make me that 85 f/1.4L IS in a 50 and you can take all the moneys".

That 85 f/1.4L IS is a peach, just like the 35L II is, and those two lenses should be putting Canonites in a frenzy to make more of them in other FLs. 50 is undoubtedly at the top of the list, but 135 would also be welcomed with applause.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Upscaling the M5 body to FF would be a start

I hope they don't do that. That grip, even if upscaled, would not hold fast glass comfortably for very long.

FF mirrorless needs a chunky grip*, full stop.

*Provided it will be able to adapt/use EF glass, which it certainly will. A non-EF adapting FF mirrorless body that only offer slower / lighter / shorter lenses could get by with a small grip, but I can't imagine an alternate universe where Canon would think abandoning EF would be a good idea.

- A

Yup, man sized grip. I'm holding out for the planform of the 5D Mark IV. I have the M5 and really enjoy using it. There are a few issues, but it's an overall fun camera.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
Yup, man sized grip. I'm holding out for the planform of the 5D Mark IV. I have the M5 and really enjoy using it. There are a few issues, but it's an overall fun camera.

But if they scale up an M5, a 'fun camera' / travel / vacation rig is all it ever will be: no top LCD, that awkward 'iron claw' A7-like grip technique would be required, and I'd be very leery putting big glass on it. It might be awesome with the 35mm f/2 pancake I hope they'd make for such a camera, but I wouldn't comprehensively use it with all my glass.

That said... scale up an M5 to FF and tuck a fixed 35 f/2 or 28/1.8 into the body and you are in business to gobble up some RX1R and Leica Q business. A scaled up M5 would serve that kind of product brilliantly.

- A

Upvote 0
One major issue I see is the tripod mount. Either this new body will require an adapter for it's tripod mount or the body will be sized for direct EF mounting. The current adapter has a small tripod mount and is iffy at best using heavy lenses that don't have their own tripod collars.
The Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 or the Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art are beasts and require a really good heavy tripod to keep vibrations down. No lightweight travel tripod here.

Canon M5 with Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 lens © Keith Breazeal-2 by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:

I'm trying to visualise how you hold your camera with a large fast lens attached and failing. Don't you support the lens with your left (if right handed) hand? How would this be different with a smaller body?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
KeithBreazeal said:
One major issue I see is the tripod mount. Either this new body will require an adapter for it's tripod mount or the body will be sized for direct EF mounting.

The whole point of the M series is to primarily use them with M lenses. The EF adaptor is more of a fallback than a system to rely on.

Having said that, I do hope that a more rugged and weather sealed EF-EF-M adaptor becomes available with the FF camera.

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:

I'm trying to visualise how you hold your camera with a large fast lens attached and failing. Don't you support the lens with your left (if right handed) hand? How would this be different with a smaller body?

Handheld lens support is definitely far forward- like at the focus ring.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
KeithBreazeal said:
Handheld lens support is definitely far forward- like at the focus ring.

When I'm using (for example) the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II on the M5 (which I have frequently) my hand is on the zoom not the focus ring (autofocus, see), and it balances fine. Same with the 100-400 IS II.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Lurker said:
This seems like it could be an extension of the rumored survey. Maybe Canon is now going to execs and VIPs to discuss the business aspect of FF MILC and how to make it successful for shops and high profile users. Thus the empty shell of a camera, suggesting they want help building it right the first time, not like Sony taking 3 iterations as was suggested.

Interesting theory, I suppose, but I'm missing what input Canon would want from the chiefs at B&H, Adorama, DigitalRev, etc. that would warrant this sort of private strategy session. Canon arguably knows the market better than they do, so I fail to see how a discussion of positioning, pricing, target market, etc. would warrant the folks in charge being needed rather than the normal sales and marketing channels they might use.

Lurker said:
Either that or Canon is just admitting they got nothing. They are going to apologize to their business partners and admit they have no game and are going to close up shop and stop pretending. They're just going to rip that Band-Aid off (seppuku?) and get it over with rather than letting their demise drag out over years and watching Sony beat them at every new release.

There's perception and there's actual sales data. I encourage you to find the latter.

- A

I feel like sony is pay a fair bit of money for that perception. When I got Photo Mag, so would put there own few page mag in there too with Sony Pro's are switching to sony.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's the new Canon Transparent Sensor(tm) camera! Instead of a LCD panel or OVF you just look straight through the back of the camera, through the sensor to see your inverted image :D

Color me excited; I hope to see a leak of the invitation!

Also, on a serious note: perhaps we were thinking about this survey to professionals about what they wanted to see in a mirrorless wrong. Maybe, it was to find out what was important to them, not to change the design, but to know what to emphasize and prioritize in presentations.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
One major issue I see is the tripod mount. Either this new body will require an adapter for it's tripod mount or the body will be sized for direct EF mounting. The current adapter has a small tripod mount and is iffy at best using heavy lenses that don't have their own tripod collars.
The Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 or the Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art are beasts and require a really good heavy tripod to keep vibrations down. No lightweight travel tripod here.

Or for the few of us who want to do tripod work with an M5, you could just get an L-Plate, right?

- A

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been told that Canon is sending out “very elaborate” invites to select dealers and VIPs for a mirrorless camera announcement next month.</p>
<p>The invitation was described as being very high end, printed on heavy glossy paper and showing a silhouette of a camera shaped like the EOS M6 with a hole cut out where the sensor would be.</p>

<p>Apparently only CEOs and higher-ups are allowed to go to the presentation, no sales people are permitted.</p>
<p>I would say all of this would point to Canon announcing something more than just another entry level APS-C shooter.</p>
<p>If anyone has a picture of the invite, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/contact-form/">please send it to us</a>.</p>
<p><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;">more to come…</span></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Please check to see if the source is the same as G7X mark lll :D

Upvote 0
The launch of a new sensor technology in a small "M styled" mirrorless would be great for capturing more mirrorless buyers, but also a great proving ground to test the new sensor under more varied conditions. Beta testing by a limited number of photographers never yields the full spectrum of issues that can be encountered.

Upvote 0