More About the "Major Mirrorless Presentation", It's The EOS M50

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
slclick said:
blackcoffee17 said:
We really need an updated M5 with a bit better build quality and some lenses, like a 15-70 F4.
Instead we are getting another low-end M body and one plastic-fantastic lens per year.

Who has the graph on Canon refresh cycles for this guy?

Yar. Anyone who wants rapid-refresh flagships should pick a company other than Canon. Like, just think of that red logo as an, "abandon hope, all ye who enter" sign when it comes to quickly updating flagship bodies, or for radical changes in ergonomics. 8)

Sony is the perfect vendor for those who want camera refresh cycles to be like iPhones. ;D

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
blackcoffee17 said:
We really need an updated M5 with a bit better build quality and some lenses, like a 15-70 F4.
Instead we are getting another low-end M body and one plastic-fantastic lens per year.

There's nothing wrong with the build quality of the M5. The only "build" quality that could/should be improved would be a weather-sealed body. I'm sure faster AF and weather-sealing will come, but not for some time. Better and faster lenses is another story entirely. They are needed to make the M a complete "system." While Canon never really tried to complete the EF-S system with quick primes or zooms, presumably to steer serious shooters into the wonderful and costly world of full frame, we can only hope that they don't extend that policy/attitude to the M series. When the upcoming EF-M "faster than 2.0" 30-35mm prime is released, I think its sales success, or lack thereof, will greatly determine the future of the EF-M line of lenses.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Talys said:
slclick said:
blackcoffee17 said:

Yar. Anyone who wants rapid-refresh flagships should pick a company other than Canon. Like, just think of that red logo as an, "abandon hope, all ye who enter" sign when it comes to quickly updating flagship bodies, or for radical changes in ergonomics.

not exactly true. the longest non-beginner M camera had a 556 day refresh (M3 to M5), other than that it's been around 1 year refreshes of most M systems. Not to mention some pretty drastic ergonomic changes between the M3, M6 and M5 cameras as the line fleshes out.

It's easy to always belittle canon or complain about them, but at times it would be nice if it was based upon realistic expectations.

Attachments

• 8d618e32371f04598003d1788df72a10.png
    8d618e32371f04598003d1788df72a10.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:
slclick said:
blackcoffee17 said:

Yar. Anyone who wants rapid-refresh flagships should pick a company other than Canon. Like, just think of that red logo as an, "abandon hope, all ye who enter" sign when it comes to quickly updating flagship bodies, or for radical changes in ergonomics.

not exactly true. the longest non-beginner M camera had a 556 day refresh (M3 to M5), other than that it's been around 1 year refreshes of most M systems. Not to mention some pretty drastic ergonomic changes between the M3, M6 and M5 cameras as the line fleshes out.

It's easy to always belittle canon or complain about them, but at times it would be nice if it was based upon realistic expectations.

You are confusing new models with refresh with anything in the M lineup that ties in the M5.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
slclick said:
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:
slclick said:
blackcoffee17 said:

You are confusing new models with refresh with anything in the M lineup that ties in the M5.

I'm not confusing anything. The refresh cycle of the M lineup has always been fairly quick - why? it's like the rebel flagship, those cameras always have a quick recycle of 1-2 years.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
slclick said:
The M3 did not 'become' the M5

it did from the supplanting the M3 as the highest tier camera in the M lineup.

it was 7 months after releasing the M5 that the M6 came out.

seems you are quibbling about semantics that don't really matter.

the fact remains that every EF-M camera has had a quick refresh just because it's an EVF attached camera doesn't change that factor.

The M5 isn't a flagship. it's simply an EF-M with a built in EVF.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
rrcphoto said:
slclick said:
The M3 did not 'become' the M5

it did from the supplanting the M3 as the highest tier camera in the M lineup.

it was 7 months after releasing the M5 that the M6 came out.

seems you are quibbling about semantics that don't really matter.

the fact remains that every EF-M camera has had a quick refresh just because it's an EVF attached camera doesn't change that factor.

The M5 isn't a flagship. it's simply an EF-M with a built in EVF.

...and a more DSLR-like setting layout as well as a larger, higher resolution LCD. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0
I quite like the look of the M5, but its quite expensive.

I own the original EOS-M, and the only thing that really displeases me is the lack of viewfinder, when I am in sunny locations, I cannot see the LCD at all. So my hope for the M50 is a cheaper M5/6 with viewfinder. Perhaps they will just use lower burst speed, cripple the video a bit (more) or something.

I think I am probably dreaming though, if the m50 did have a viewfinder, would people still buy the M6? Or are there way less people in this area of photography that don't care about viewfinders?

So, viewfinder, DPAF, don't care about video or no of burst shots, and £500 or less.

What say you?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
wildwalker said:

I own the original EOS-M, and the only thing that really displeases me is the lack of viewfinder, when I am in sunny locations, I cannot see the LCD at all. So my hope for the M50 is a cheaper M5/6 with viewfinder. Perhaps they will just use lower burst speed, cripple the video a bit (more) or something.

I think I am probably dreaming though, if the m50 did have a viewfinder, would people still buy the M6? Or are there way less people in this area of photography that don't care about viewfinders?

So, viewfinder, DPAF, don't care about video or no of burst shots, and £500 or less.

What say you?

It was $629 with the adapter refurbished. I think it's worth well over that.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
wildwalker said:

What say you?

It was $629 with the adapter refurbished. I think it's worth well over that.

Unfortunately is close to £850-£900 in the UK, body only. I think that is over priced, Add £50 and you can buy a new FF 6D body :) Yes I know it's not as small, but I think it just gives some perspective.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
wildwalker said:
Unfortunately is close to £850-£900 in the UK, body only. I think that is over priced, Add £50 and you can buy a new FF 6D body :) Yes I know it's not as small, but I think it just gives some perspective.

Wow, so expensive in UK. You should move to Canada :)

For GBP £575 (Canadian $1,000, USD $800) right now you get M5 body, EF adapter, and 2 batteries. That's brand new, at a Canon authorized retailer.

https://bccamera.com/canon-eos-m5-body/

And you can add 18-45 for just CAD $150 more.

Upvote 0