The Canon EOS M50 Will Shoot 4K [CR3]

neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
[lApparently the camera has a Digic 8 processor in it...

Will all cameras with Digic 8 shoot 4K? Because that's what you said about Digic 7...

The thermal envelope of the Digic 7 did not allow it, but the processor is basically the same as the Digic DV5, which does have a hardware 4K encoder inside it. If the DV5 can do 4K in hardware, so can the 7. The DV5 requires a fan to do it however, which means that the 7 would also need one. Fans are not part of stills cameras, hence no 4K.

This has been explained to you a great many times. I am surprised that you still fail to understand it. Well....maybe not that surprised after all this time. I have come to expect it from you.

If the Digic 8 can handle hardware 4K or not depends on it's thermal envelope. It is the sibling of the DV6, which means that the hardware logic is essentially the same. The camcorders that use the DV6 have vents, but they also do 4K in 60p, which requires 2x the processing and obviously generates a lot more heat per unit time as a result. So, those camcorders may use fans to achieve that spec, but may not need them for 30p. If that is the case then hardware 4K30p should be possible in at least ILC type bodies. Jury will still be out on smaller bodies depending on passive cooling until we see some examples because of uncertainty of how the thermal envelope will fit those cameras, but I would guess that they will be able to.

I have been pointing out that the Digic 8 would likely have these capabilities for quite some time now, since the first DV6 based video cameras were announced (the C200). Based on the hardware codecs these cameras were using it appeared that the logic had been developed for consumer cameras, not professional ones, which was a pointer that Canon had finally got the thermal envelope under control. They achieved this by scaling back on the specs of the codec (which is why the hardware codecs in the C200 look so basic). The DV5 (and by extension, the Digic 7) had professional grade hardware encoders for 4K, but at the expense of excess heat generation which made them unsuitable for use in consumer cameras for that purpose. It would appear that Canon addressed this by nerfing the video capabilities of the DV5 to the point where heat was manageable by passive cooling and calling the new processor the DV6/Digic 8. Not an issue for the C200 since that is primarily a RAW camera with some basic hardware encoding options.

The only question really was when the processor would start appearing in still camera models since there is a development period for camera. That development period typically is shorter for consumer models, which is why we usually see the latest processors appear in them first before the flagship models (which have much longer development periods).

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
Tugela said:
Everyone here thinks that Canon are conservative and are giving the consumers what they really want. But that is not true. They are giving the consumers what they are CAPABLE of giving, and spinning a fantasy that it is what the consumers want. Two different things.

The rapidly increasing success of the competition which does implement 4K should have given a hint, but there is a whole lot of blinker wearing going on among the fanbois.
Canon has shown that they are CAPABLE of doing things right and at a price point that sells well.
As for 4K, even their XC-15, a 2.5K priced camera has better codec and does better than competition in the 8-10K price range. Their C200, priced around 8K, can capture RAW video and no other competitor in this class can do.
The real fantasy is that all this technology should be put in a tiny consumer M50 camera which is supposed to cost around 1K.

The Digic DV6/Digic 8 processors use a more basic encoder than the DV5 used in the XC-15, so the 4K video specs of the new camera are likely less than the XC-15.

The DV6 encoder is consumer grade, the DV5 is professional grade when it comes to video encoding.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
...spinning a fantasy...

The rapidly increasing success of the competition which does implement 4K should have given a hint, but there is a whole lot of blinker wearing going on among the fanbois.

Canon has gained market share over the past few years. The 'rapidly increasing success of the competition which does implement 4K' is a fantasy that you're spinning. Try taking off your blindfold and looking at reality, at least once in a while.

Keep telling yourself that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Tugela said:
bhf3737 said:
Tugela said:
Everyone here thinks that Canon are conservative and are giving the consumers what they really want. But that is not true. They are giving the consumers what they are CAPABLE of giving, and spinning a fantasy that it is what the consumers want. Two different things.

Canon has shown that they are CAPABLE of doing things right and at a price point that sells well.
As for 4K, even their XC-15, a 2.5K priced camera has better codec and does better than competition in the 8-10K price range. Their C200, priced around 8K, can capture RAW video and no other competitor in this class can do.
The real fantasy is that all this technology should be put in a tiny consumer M50 camera which is supposed to cost around 1K.

The Digic DV6/Digic 8 processors use a more basic encoder than the DV5 used in the XC-15, so the 4K video specs of the new camera are likely less than the XC-15.

The DV6 encoder is consumer grade, the DV5 is professional grade when it comes to video encoding.

the XC15 supported 300mb/sec h.264 encoding. Odds are the M50 will have a more consumer 100mb/sec compression.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Tugela said:
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:

Will all cameras with Digic 8 shoot 4K? Because that's what you said about Digic 7...

The thermal envelope of the Digic 7 did not allow it, but the processor is basically the same as the Digic DV5, which does have a hardware 4K encoder inside it. If the DV5 can do 4K in hardware, so can the 7. The DV5 requires a fan to do it however, which means that the 7 would also need one. Fans are not part of stills cameras, hence no 4K.

This has been explained to you a great many times. I am surprised that you still fail to understand it. Well....maybe not that surprised after all this time. I have come to expect it from you.

If the Digic 8 can handle hardware 4K or not depends on it's thermal envelope. It is the sibling of the DV6, which means that the hardware logic is essentially the same. The camcorders that use the DV6 have vents, but they also do 4K in 60p, which requires 2x the processing and obviously generates a lot more heat per unit time as a result. So, those camcorders may use fans to achieve that spec, but may not need them for 30p. If that is the case then hardware 4K30p should be possible in at least ILC type bodies. Jury will still be out on smaller bodies depending on passive cooling until we see some examples because of uncertainty of how the thermal envelope will fit those cameras, but I would guess that they will be able to.

I have been pointing out that the Digic 8 would likely have these capabilities for quite some time now, since the first DV6 based video cameras were announced (the C200). Based on the hardware codecs these cameras were using it appeared that the logic had been developed for consumer cameras, not professional ones, which was a pointer that Canon had finally got the thermal envelope under control. They achieved this by scaling back on the specs of the codec (which is why the hardware codecs in the C200 look so basic). The DV5 (and by extension, the Digic 7) had professional grade hardware encoders for 4K, but at the expense of excess heat generation which made them unsuitable for use in consumer cameras for that purpose. It would appear that Canon addressed this by nerfing the video capabilities of the DV5 to the point where heat was manageable by passive cooling and calling the new processor the DV6/Digic 8. Not an issue for the C200 since that is primarily a RAW camera with some basic hardware encoding options.

The only question really was when the processor would start appearing in still camera models since there is a development period for camera. That development period typically is shorter for consumer models, which is why we usually see the latest processors appear in them first before the flagship models (which have much longer development periods).

I love it when people are so categorical about such technical details yet have no references to support their assumptions.

DIGIC 5+ and DIGIC 6+ are both capable of 4K capture in fan-less vent-less stills bodies.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Tugela said:
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:

Oh, I understood. I was just wondering if you would ever actually admit that you were wrong when you said:

Tugela said:
If a Canon camera has a Digic 7 processor in it, it will shoot 4K 30p video, provided that a modern storage interface has been included. Higher frame rates in 4K and higher resolutions, however, will not happen without extra hardware in the design.

No mention of thermal envelopes there, 'eh? But after the G7XII came out with Digic 7 and without 4K, you needed an excuse, instead of just admitting you were wrong. But I'm not surprised you can't admit your mistakes, I have come to expect it from you.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Tugela said:
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
...spinning a fantasy...

Canon has gained market share over the past few years. The 'rapidly increasing success of the competition which does implement 4K' is a fantasy that you're spinning. Try taking off your blindfold and looking at reality, at least once in a while.

Keep telling yourself that.

Yes, I'll keep telling myself the truth. You go right on lying to yourself. I suppose living in a delusion can be comforting to those unable to cope with the real world.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
I love it when people are so categorical about such technical details yet have no references to support their assumptions.

DIGIC 5+ and DIGIC 6+ are both capable of 4K capture in fan-less vent-less stills bodies.

not with any actual real encoding. MPJEG isn't really encoded into a h.264 or h.265 compression. it's simply multiple jpeg images used to form a video, which isn't very processor intensive.

Upvote 0