Canon U.S.A. Announces A Host Of Product Firmware Updates At NAB 2016

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>New Updates Include Canon Log3 for the EOS C300 Mark II Camera and Support of ARRI Log C and Metadata for Canon’s DP-V2410 4K Reference Display</em></p>
<p><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., April 13, 2016 </strong>– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced firmware updates to several products being showcased at NAB 2016. These firmware updates support a number of feature updates for users including improvement of workflow, ease of use, focusing and lens corrections, color space, and creative flexibility for products in the Cinema EOS, HD Video, and 4K Reference Display lines.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>Firmware updates are as follows:</p>
<ul>
<li>The<b> EOS C300 Mark II Digital Cinema Camera</b> updates will allow various functions such as shooting in new Canon Log3, viewfinder magnification during recording, focus guide with EF Cinema Prime lenses, Push Auto Iris and Zoom function on the grip joystick with New COMPACT-SERVO and CINE-SERVO series lenses, Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF (DAF) with COMPACT-SERVO 18-80mm and CINE-SERVO 17-120mm lenses, ACES 1.0 output, peripheral illumination correction updates and overall image improvements such as noise level reduction in low-light for Canon Log2.</li>
<li>The<b> EOS C100 Mark II Digital Cinema Camera</b> update will allow various functions such as Push Auto Iris and Zoom function on the grip joystick with the new COMPACT-SERVO and CINE-SERVO series lenses,  Canon DAF with COMPACT-SERVO 18-80mm and CINE-SERVO 17-120mm lenses, and peripheral illumination correction updates and selectable disabling of the microphone.</li>
<li>The <b>DP-V2410 4K Reference Display</b> firmware will be updated to support ARRI Log C and ARRI metadata; improve display contrast and dynamic range; add support for Canon Log3 and Hybrid Log Gamma; and display of SMPTE 2084 input signal on the waveform monitor.</li>
<li>The <b>DP-V3010 4K Reference Display</b> firmware will be updated to improve display contrast and dynamic range; add support for Canon Log3 and Hybrid Log Gamma; and display of SMPTE 2084 input signal on the waveform monitor.</li>
<li>The<b> CINE-SERVO 17-120mm Lens </b>will be updated to be compatible with Canon’s DAF function in the EOS C300 Mark II and EOS C100 Mark II Cameras.</li>
<li>The update for the <b>ME20F-SH Camera</b> will include lens support for an additional 19 EF and CINE lenses allowing for more creative choices in a wider variety of shooting applications including television and film production.</li>
<li>The<b> XA35 and XA30 Professional Camcorders</b> and <b>VIXIA HF G40</b> <b>Camcorder</b> updates include a new file format making it easier to integrate into third party software systems that are used for athletic coaching applications.</li>
<li>The firmware updates for the <b>XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders</b> include new shooting modes allowing for greater creative flexibility, Wide DR Gamma (600 percent) Mode, Highlight Priority Mode, and Signal/Noise priority mode.</li>
<li>The<b> XC10 4K Camcorder</b> firmware will be updated to include a new file format MP4 in HD mode (35 Mbps only), improved AF speed, and shutter speed options for flicker reduction.</li>
</ul>
<p>To see these products mentioned above at NAB 2016, visit Canon U.S.A., Inc. in the Central Hall, Booth C4325.  Follow Canon throughout the show on Instagram at <a href="https://www.instagram.com/canonusa/" target="_blank">@CanonUSA</a> and Twitter at <a href="https://twitter.com/CanonUSApro" target="_blank">@CanonUSApro</a>. To learn more about the firmware updates and their availability, please visit <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/firmware-updates" target="_self">www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/firmware-updates </a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 10, 2014
It will be hard to achieve optimized AF on the XC10 without Dual Pixel AF technology built into the sensor. :eek:
With a slow and fixed lens already permanently attached, I do not see how much improvement can be made for indoor shots when the light is not readily available. Yet again, this camera isn't the basic C100 that really separates itself for cinematographers when it comes to the beautiful balance of ergonomics, versatility, and performance; so people should not complain when Canon deliberately chose to create a Chevette body with a V8 engine and wonder why it is not as aerodynamic and feels like it's going to fall apart on extreme obstacle courses (especially with the back axle permanently locked and unable to rotate all at the same time).

db_chevette11.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I appreciated the update to my 7D a few years ago.
How hard would it be to give my 6D a more flexible auto-ISO? Would love the minimum shutter speed to be 2x focal length not equal to focal length. E.g. minimum of a 1/50 for 24mm, not 1/25. At the moment I am manually setting the minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO in aperture priority, but this is a drag.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Frodo said:
I appreciated the update to my 7D a few years ago.
How hard would it be to give my 6D a more flexible auto-ISO? Would love the minimum shutter speed to be 2x focal length not equal to focal length. E.g. minimum of a 1/50 for 24mm, not 1/25. At the moment I am manually setting the minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO in aperture priority, but this is a drag.

Sorry this isn't a photography stills show. But.. many are coming!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Tugela said:
Wow. Underwhelming. Is this all there is for NAB, along with the new lens and sensor box?

When has Canon ever been 'overwhelming'? Anyone who knows them knows they are slow and steady and that get the job done 90% of the time. Maybe not for video guys needing the highest frame rate at the highest rez but.....

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
slclick said:
Tugela said:
Wow. Underwhelming. Is this all there is for NAB, along with the new lens and sensor box?

When has Canon ever been 'overwhelming'? Anyone who knows them knows they are slow and steady and that get the job done 90% of the time. Maybe not for video guys needing the highest frame rate at the highest rez but.....

"Underwhelming" because this is what we had been led to believe: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-xc10-to-get-major-firmware-update-for-nab-cr1/

Although I guess for Canon that is a "major firmware update", because usually their firmware updates do things like correct spelling errors in the Mongolian menu. To get the real firmware update they expect you to buy next years model instead.

Upvote 0