Canon U.S.A. Inc., to Provide 120 EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lenses for Expansion of the Dragonfly Telephoto Array Project

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA continues to dabble in space projects along with Canon Inc.  Canon USA is sending Project Dragonfly 120 Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lenses. Project Dragonfly is an international research team consisting of Yale University and the University of Toronto researchers.

image2-168x168.jpg

image3-168x168.jpg

image4-168x168.jpg

image5-168x168.jpg

image6-168x168.jpg

image7-168x168.jpg

About Project Dragonfly
The Dragonfly Telephoto Array is a novel telescope concept...

Continue reading...

Great way to write off old stock now that the RF version is available? :unsure:
But I thought they were just gluing adapters to the old stock for the new stock. In a time of great supply constraint, they'd be giving away half their end-product's ingredients.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But I thought they were just gluing adapters to the old stock for the new stock. In a time of great supply constraint, they'd be giving away half their end-product's ingredients.
Perhaps...I have no idea if Canon is converting previously-made EF MkIII lenses to RF or simply producing RF versions de novo and this is a way to clean out existing stock. It's a bit more than just the adapter – the depth window is gone, and there are electronic improvements that go with the RF mount that may (or may not) require different chips/wiring on the inside, including the dual-power mode for faster AF that works with the RF lens on the R3 (but not with the adapted EF lens).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I would have assumed that they aren't using autofocus but manually focusing 120 lenses would be a pain. Maybe they have a way to focus each electronically together as a group
Hopefully, the lenses need to be focused only once, at infinity. There is also no need in aperture control.

But yes, focus-by-wire of mark III would probably be a pain.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This is not new. Dragonfly Research dates back to 2014. In their first paper they reported the use of 8 400/2.8 canon lenses. So the "Giveaway" extended over nearly ten years. No need to be envious. :)

Well, 120 new lenses is news. Before this they "only" had 48 of them.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I wonder what the advantage of using camera lenses over telescopes is for astronomy. 6" aperture telescopes can be had pretty inexpensively.

It depends, of course, on what you're trying to photograph.

I have a very ancient Criterion RV-6 Newtonian scope (6" aperture), a screaming bargain when I bought it, still a credible telescope today. But I'll never be able to stick a camera body on it.

In my extremely limited experience if you want to do deep sky you'll want a telescope. On the other hand a telescope is totally unsuitable for "here's the Milky Way at night behind some interesting landscape" shots. (Most people here mean that when they talk about "astrophotography" but to me the term conjures up taking pictures of planets, nebulae, galaxies and the like, for which you absolutely need a telescope. I was an amateur astronomer long before I was any kind of photographer so that affects my perspective.)

On my to-do list is a more modern telescope with a EF mount I can adapt to my Canon bodies.

Upvote 0