Canon unveils the PowerShot Zoom

Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C

lol, it sounds like you have no clue how popular soccer is basically everywhere other than the US. There are many places people would give away their first born just to see a soccer game.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Guys, please. I'm sure we all know that different people have different tastes. That extends to all kind of entainment.

If somebody doesn't find joy in something that does not require debating them. It is fine for people to look at something and just determine that it's not for them. So long as they can also accept and respect the passion others may have for that very same thing, of course. Give and take.

It is annoying enough to have the people on the forum who treat camera brands like sports teams that you have to be a devoted fan of. Let's keep it to that, no need to drag actual sports into it.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
I think it is a pretty good idea but kinda late to the party, now that companys are putting mega zooms in their cell phones. But They are pretty week from what I have heard. So it could do ok. I went hiking in the mountains for a few days where weight mattered, so having the power shot and a cell phone would of been pretty nice, bc there were lots of animals in that area.

Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
I'm curious too...only available in Japan, but the ads contain a lot of Caucasians and scenes from around the world. I'd be interested to understand the psychology and sociology behind that.
Well, I noticed DJI (Chinese manufacturer) does the same thing in their ads and promo pics. Makes me "Hm.." all the time.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, I noticed DJI (Chinese manufacturer) does the same thing in their ads and promo pics. Makes me "Hm.." all the time.
It's cool to have Westerners in Asian ads, haven't you seen Lost in Translation? One thing always amused me, when I lived in Europe made in the USA or popular in the USA was seen as having a certain added value, when I lived in the USA being European or made in Europe was treated the same!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's cool to have Westerners in Asian ads, haven't you seen Lost in Translation? One thing always amused me, when I lived in Europe made in the USA or popular in the USA was seen as having a certain added value, when I lived in the USA being European or made in Europe was treated the same!

Back in Soviet days, they would say "it must be foreign" as a compliment.

That's a gigantic ouch!!! right there.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C
Maybe they need pads, time outs, commercial breaks and arbitrary rules, eh? Not everything can be as exiting to watch as cycling.

• Haha
Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I'm curious too...only available in Japan, but the ads contain a lot of Caucasians and scenes from around the world. I'd be interested to understand the psychology and sociology behind that.

-Brian
I was thinking about that too. Really strange!

Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
I've never seen "Lost in Translation" but look like an interesting movie to check out. Thank you!
On the Europe-USA part, I can relate 100%!! :D This is so true!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019

C

Funny, love for sports I think really comes down to where you grew up. Growing up in Brazil, everything is about soccer. I remember not going to school on Mondays when my team lost on the weekend. Living now in the US, I really tried understanding and watching but, oh man, baseball and Football are so boring. Baseball plays almost every day and the latter has some many interruptions. Who has the time? I am with you on Cricket. But my Aussie coworker loves it. But one thing you cannot deny though is I think the crowd in a soccer match does not compare to any other sport. Having attended many baseball, hockey, and basketball games, all I see the crowd really doing is chanting a very non-imaginative "defense, defense".

Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
I also find it interesting. a 1/3 in sensor is smart phone sized, so it will have to compete with smart phones which may be difficult. I expect that they are being cautious.
I don't think so unless you are aware of smartphones with 100mm-400mm focal range (not to mention digital 800mm zoom). :)

Upvote 0

Japanese value the opinions of those outside Japan more than those inside Japan. It also goes to show that the brand is internationally recognized. It's super prevalent in japan.

For instance, a lot of movies, actors, singers, and professional sportsmen see a HUGE spike in their popularity domestically if they receive any recognition abroad by winning a competition or receiving an award. Examples are Kimi no Na, Okuribito, Ichiro, Daisuke.

Canon also has a long history of testing new ideas in their home market only before releasing worldwide.

Upvote 0