Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon is doing an excellent job of building anticipation for this camera. Their marketing department deserves a bonus. By the time this thing is announced there will be tons of people gleefully paying the early adopter premium and pre-ordering sight unseen. Maybe it will bring down the cost of the 1Dx III a bit once the supply chain returns to normal. (Wishful thinking on my part.)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
As someone who has been immediately impacted by work shortages due to the current health crisis and cancellation of events globally, I wonder how this new body's release will go over for some. Unless the section of the economy which affects us rebounds sooner than not, I'll continue looking forward to a late adopter stance if not refurb. Especially as these video specs roll in and as a stills only shooter, it looks to be higher priced initially than I first surmised.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Yeah that's a great point. Makes me wonder too. Space savings can result in horrendous post workflow during edit if one's computer isn't capable, for mere motals like me. Storage space can be bought. But not time.
Actually MJPEG is a horrendous codec from a storage standpoint and is the sole reason why I consider my 5DIV's 4K to be completely unusable. You can't film a 4hr fashion show using MJPEG or pretty much anything of importance with it. If they put that codec in the R5 it will be the sole reason I do not get it.

The 8K codec needs to be H.264 or H.265 and stored in an MOV (preferred) or MP4 container. MJPEG is long dead. To edit something beyond your computer's capabilities simply get a faster computer or use proxy files. I am a 100% hybrid shooter (50% video and 50% photography) and even with all of the fantastic specs I still worry this will not be a sufficient B cam due to the following reasons:

Dual card recording - just because it has dual card slots does not mean it will write video to both slots. This is a critical requirement for me or the camera is a no go as a b cam for the work I do. I will even settle for dual card recording up to 4K and CFAST only for 8K.

XLR Audio Module - For run and gun scenarios where I need XLR audio, Canon has not said anything about offering an XLR module for this camera. I currently use a GH5 for those scenarios and it does both (dual card video recording and has an XLR module)

Recording Limit - No word yet on if this is still a problem. In 2020 the EOS R still has a recording limit which is completely logic defying to me.

I would love to come back to the Canon family for video; my dream setup is a C200 Mark II A camera and an R5 hybrid run and gun b cam for gimbal and photography work. I would even get the R6 as a C camera (timelapses, 3rd POV, handheld POV, etc) if Canon finally puts away their cripple hammer.

I absolutely love Canon's color science and would love to consolidate my entire setup around them, but if this is another disappointing year I'll probably go all in on the S1, S1H and EVA1 instead. It's ironic...Panasonic can already do everything I want for video but my Canon lenses, Canon color science, and Canon auto focus is the only reason I have kept waiting for 3yrs on Canon to add the missing pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
o_O Crazy pants!! So awesome, but I’m really hoping the actual R6 specs will be just as impressive, without the 8k obviously. I don’t need or want that many megapixels, but I want all the awesomeness!
Yes my dream is the R6 is a less video, great low light version of the R5. Same body.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Thing is almost nobody want those 8k! Or better, almost nobody will use it! But it´s not the 8k itself! It´s Canon dominating! It´s Canon saying yes we can do it and we are the best! AND I FREAKING LOVE IT in a brand! Of course most of us will not use it but will be great to have! Also that means better 4k files and better overall video specs! And that´s the juice! For me is more important 4k120fps than the 8k.

I am loving this camera already! From a wildlife photographer and videographer this camera is reaching everything we desire!I will definitely preorder this one and for the first time in my life I will preorder something! It´s just a pain to wait for it...And hopefully we can have a reasonable number of cameras in July or sooner, why not! :D Canon, my birthday is on 23rd June, this would be a hell of a present!

BTW, today i started building my R sistem. I bought a EOS R and a RF35mm. My firsts of the RF and R sistem! Happy! ;)
I will use 8k.

Upvote 0
Canon’s biggest successes, for me at least, are when they go all in. Like they did with the 350d, the 5d2, 7d, 1dx, 5d4, and now the R5. Same with lenses, all RF-L’s, 35 L II, 135 f2, 24-70 L II, 200 f1.8, 50 f1.0 etc etc etc...

This might be the biggest “all in” of them all.. I predict a MASSIVE success...

The original 5D too

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Thing is almost nobody want those 8k! Or better, almost nobody will use it! But it´s not the 8k itself! It´s Canon dominating! It´s Canon saying yes we can do it and we are the best! AND I FREAKING LOVE IT in a brand! Of course most of us will not use it but will be great to have! Also that means better 4k files and better overall video specs! And that´s the juice! For me is more important 4k120fps than the 8k.

I am loving this camera already! From a wildlife photographer and videographer this camera is reaching everything we desire!I will definitely preorder this one and for the first time in my life I will preorder something! It´s just a pain to wait for it...And hopefully we can have a reasonable number of cameras in July or sooner, why not! :D Canon, my birthday is on 23rd June, this would be a hell of a present!

BTW, today i started building my R sistem. I bought a EOS R and a RF35mm. My firsts of the RF and R sistem! Happy! ;)
I would absolutely use 8K. Not very often, but shooting in 8K and delivering in 1080P would provide some incredible pan, crop, recomposition options. You could add dolly, slider, and gimbal motion to your footage without ever leaving a tripod.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As someone who has been immediately impacted by work shortages due to the current health crisis and cancellation of events globally, I wonder how this new body's release will go over for some. Unless the section of the economy which affects us rebounds sooner than not, I'll continue looking forward to a late adopter stance if not refurb. Especially as these video specs roll in and as a stills only shooter, it looks to be higher priced initially than I first surmised.
Just judging by the reaction on this forum, I suspect there are quite a few photography consumers who are insulated from all but the most extreme economic downturns. That's one advantage that camera manufacturers now have. They lost the average consumer to cell phone cameras and are concentrating on enthusiasts with disposable income. Smaller, but much more profitable market. If the current health crisis proves to be short-lived, demand will not be impacted significantly. If it is not, well...then all bets are off.

I consider myself very fortunate as a semi-retiree. My income is stable and likely to remain fairly so. The income I receive from part-time work is helpful, but not essential for my survival. I am very aware, though, that I am luckier than most and am sympathetic to those who aren't as fortunate. That said, I am with you on being a late adopter. I have equipment that meets my needs right now and know that I could continue indefinitely using that equipment.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0