Canon USA: EOS R3 is expected for November 26th

Canon USA has said on IG that they expect to start shipping the R3 to dealers and customers on November 26th, 2021.

I contacted Goecker (one of the two pro Canon dealers here in DK) today and they confirmed that the R3 was expected to start shipping at the end of November, but despite pre-ordering back in March, I shouldn't expect to get a camera until Q1-Q2 next year :eek::(.

That is, unless they unexpectedly get a boat-load of R3 bodies. (ain't gonna happen).

Upvote 0
Following up on the email reponse I got yesterday, I called my contact. For commercial and other reasons, they don't disclose where on the pre-order list I was, but they said that they saw quite a lot of interest for the R3 (and the Z9). To them, clearly a lot of (pro?) photographers had been waiting for cameras like the R3 & Z9 to jump into mirrorless, so they got "many" preorders. Combine that with the supply chain problems following the COVID-19, and they didn't expect to get very many (if any!) cameras on the shipping date (Nov 26th). They were eagerly waiting for a lot of products that are in backlog today.

As my contact said: they just need to ship one camera somewhere in the world to be able to claim that the R3 has begun shipping on Nov 26th.

That said, as they didn't require a deposit to take a pre-order, they don't know how many will actually follow through on the pre-order buy the camera. So there's a very odd-ball chance that I might be lucky and get one sooner than my position in the queue indicates.

Generally what can be characterized as "anecdotal evidence" but I thought I'd pass it along to my fellow impatiently waiting preordering Canonites.

Upvote 0
Just as an FYI, my dealer contacted me yesterday with the news that my R3 is shipping from Canon. It's a small dealer and I pre ordered when they made the DEV announcement. He was only able to order on Launch day. If he is getting mine, the big houses should be seeing them soon as well. It took me 5 months after launch to get my R5 from him so it's feeling like the R3 supply is going to be better.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I placed my name on a list at a local dealer in Dec 2020 and also ordered from B&H at 6 a.m. the day the camera was officially announced. I hope to have a R3 by Spring 2022. Would be great to have it earlier, but with supply chain issues I am realistic I might be waiting a few months.
My B&H order didn't go through until just before 9am due to tech issues. I did get another preorder in about 7:45 at a different online vendor after having such a hard time at B&H. I suspect that B&H gets many more preorders than anyone except Adorame maybe, so that might work in my favor. Either way, I'd love to have mine before the end of the year, but that would be a bonus. Really hope to have it in hand by March, just before the osprey start returning. In the mean time, looking forward to the reviews and feedback on the forum.

Upvote 0
I placed my name on a list at a local dealer in Dec 2020 and also ordered from B&H at 6 a.m. the day the camera was officially announced. I hope to have a R3 by Spring 2022. Would be great to have it earlier, but with supply chain issues I am realistic I might be waiting a few months.
You were able to 'pre-pre-order' in Dec 2020 :oops:

I chased my dealer, but they wouldn't allow us to pre-order until April 14th, when the development announcement was made. Oh well.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My B&H order didn't go through until just before 9am due to tech issues. I did get another preorder in about 7:45 at a different online vendor after having such a hard time at B&H. I suspect that B&H gets many more preorders than anyone except Adorame maybe, so that might work in my favor. Either way, I'd love to have mine before the end of the year, but that would be a bonus. Really hope to have it in hand by March, just before the osprey start returning. In the mean time, looking forward to the reviews and feedback on the forum.
Maybe it's because so many order from their favourite dealer and then as well from B&H as a back up.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You have posted some great bird shots with your current gear, so you should survive!

Upvote 0