Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes, before mobile phones and TikTok. The new Manfrotto Gimbal (which would match this camera nicely) has " Different modes: TikTok Portrait, Selfie, Inception, Time-lapse "... that's what people expect today....

Yep, all because most people are too stupid to think maybe they should turn the phone sideways to do pictures and video.

So now we see this abominable practice of new sites, etc. thinking they have to "fill in" around the stupidly recorded vertical video with dimmer versions of the same image.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'd been toying with the idea of getting a Blackmagic Design Cinema 6K pocket camera.

Can some of you in the know compare and give the pros/cons between that and this EOC C70?

The BM camera can shoot RAW which I don't believe this one can, that would be a strike I'd think.

Do ya'll think RAW (internal or external) might be soon coming for the C70?

But if anyone has time off the top of their heads can you compare the BM with the Canon new offering here?

Which looks better to you and why?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I'd been toying with the idea of getting a Blackmagic Design Cinema 6K pocket camera.

Can some of you in the know compare and give the pros/cons between that and this EOC C70?

The BM camera can shoot RAW which I don't believe this one can, that would be a strike I'd think.

Do ya'll think RAW (internal or external) might be soon coming for the C70?

But if anyone has time off the top of their heads can you compare the BM with the Canon new offering here?

Which looks better to you and why?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

The only thing that stopped me from getting a BMPC is the lack of autofocus. If Canon's DPAF is important to you, like it is to me, that might be the single biggest difference. In addition to that, you have the RF mount, that EF Focal Reducer, Dual mini XLR as opposed to one, Built in 10 stops of ND, Electronic stabilization & better utilization of Lens IS, Auto ISO. Ability to use BPA batteries for longer record times. Up to 4K120 whereas the BM can do 2.8K120 or 4K60.

The BMPC6K's advantage is primarily cost. You also get a free copy of Resolve Studio ($300). It can shoot in BlackMagic RAW. It's also lighter I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am more than fine with the 4K 120p this camera can do, especially if it doesn't overheat. I am currently using the EOS R with Ninja V for video. Video is where my passion is but I do like taking photos too and the R is more than enough for me for photography. I was on the hype train with the R5 and ordered one on announcement day but still haven't received it. With time to research and think about it I'm convinced I should just get a cinema camera instead of a hybrid mirrorless if I'm really going to pursue videography. Right now I'm considering this or the RED Komodo.
It won't overheat! Because Canon introduced phenomenal specs on R5 with some limitations, don't assume that every Canon camera from now on is going to overheat! That never happened before and it will never happen to a cinema camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A sincere question to all the experts here: How does this better R5 in video specs? (Except for the overheating issue). Thank you for any and all insights.
Check CineD for example that has done a dynamic range test on C300 Mark III (same sensor on c70) and R5 and you will see by yourself.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
L

Funny this is most of these are software limitations Including Clog 2/3. Swap out the flash sync for XLR. There’s no replacing the ease of use in built in ND filters. But this is my biggest issue with the R5/6, it’s possible with the given hardware for many of these features to be in the cameras. I’d gladly play extra. Panasonic and Sony both seem to not hold back on the features.
That is what Canon is offering for the money, buy it or don’t buy it, Canon don’t care. People that say ‘it’s only software’ don’t run successful corporations.

This is an entirely different thing than a stills focused FF camera, why is that so hard for people to comprehend?

Upvote 0
It won't overheat! Because Canon introduced phenomenal specs on R5 with some limitations, don't assume that every Canon camera from now on is going to overheat! That never happened before and it will never happen to a cinema camera.
Oh no, I was not assuming that. Just pointing out the advantages of the C70 over the R5.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2019
The software and hardware need to be tweaked and finetuned man, not just copy paste
The code and call it a day
This will add cost and delay in launch, which kind of wasting money for still camera since it's intention is to shoot still, not video

L

Funny this is most of these are software limitations Including Clog 2/3. Swap out the flash sync for XLR. There’s no replacing the ease of use in built in ND filters. But this is my biggest issue with the R5/6, it’s possible with the given hardware for many of these features to be in the cameras. I’d gladly play extra. Panasonic and Sony both seem to not hold back on the features.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
That adapter/speedbooster got me excited, that means if they release APSC RF mount later I can use Canon EF FF glasses.
Wait so what if I use EF glasses and use it with speedbooster on EOS R5? Will I have ”medium format" result?

According to canon the speedbooster is only compatible with the c70.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
That adapter/speedbooster got me excited, that means if they release APSC RF mount later I can use Canon EF FF glasses.
Wait so what if I use EF glasses and use it with speedbooster on EOS R5? Will I have ”medium format" result?
The speedbooster will shrink the image to the size of an APS-H/Super 35 sensor. With some lenses, that may not matter but you'll probably have some really severe vignetting.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Yep, all because most people are too stupid to think maybe they should turn the phone sideways to do pictures and video.

So now we see this abominable practice of new sites, etc. thinking they have to "fill in" around the stupidly recorded vertical video with dimmer versions of the same image.

Landscape mode looks really stupid on TikTok and cell phones in the way they are generally used, so if you are shooting like that for those devices, please stop.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
and they added a vertical filming function... wasnt the rule: dont film vertical?
I was tasked with videoing (VHS) my brother in law’s wedding and automatically flipped over to vertical framing for part of it (not used to video) which looked pretty comical on the recording !

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Nice. Interesting that Canon didn’t try for 8k with this considering everything that’s happened with the R5. This body seems as though it could handle it. Pricing is good, a lot of estimates were $6,000, up to $700.
8K is a gimmick, this is serious workhorse camera .
8K has no application in the real world

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
A sincere question to all the experts here: How does this better R5 in video specs? (Except for the overheating issue). Thank you for any and all insights.
DGO sensor, built in NDs, anamorphic desqueeze, video centric tools, timecode input, full sized HDMI port... too much to list honestly. But if you cannot see the benefit good news... you can save about $2k by going with the R5.

Personally I had the R5 and returned it. Too limiting for my use case. This is the perfect dedicated cinema camera for me. Low key but packed with serious features. That said I’m also loving my Sony A7S3. Shooting with picture profile off and loving the image.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
No because you’re cropping down to the centre of the sensor , if you adapted medium format glass with a speed booster onto FF would work I think

Upvote 0