Canon will do a Livestream for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 official announcement [CR2]

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Removing a rear segment from an RF mount to reveal an EF mount, is not even possible.
It's just a different way of describing an adapter, so it's obviously possible. What I'm hoping is that Canon has a way to route the RF protocols through the pins on an EF mount, so the EF lenses which were released in the EOS R era can behave like an actual RF lens when adapted - maybe using a special control ring adapter sold for this purpose. This would apply to the 400/2.8L IS II, 600/4L IS III (which I have, so personal interest here), and possibly the 70-200/2.8L IS III and 70-200/4L IS II. As it happens they are all white lenses, so a white adapter would be appropriate - and no doubt hugely expensive...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's just a different way of describing an adapter, so it's obviously possible. What I'm hoping is that Canon has a way to route the RF protocols through the pins on an EF mount, so the EF lenses which were released in the EOS R era can behave like an actual RF lens when adapted - maybe using a special control ring adapter sold for this purpose. This would apply to the 400/2.8L IS II, 600/4L IS III (which I have, so personal interest here), and possibly the 70-200/2.8L IS III and 70-200/4L IS II. As it happens they are all white lenses, so a white adapter would be appropriate - and no doubt hugely expensive...
The current adapters are designed for full compatibility of EF on an R mount so in what way would a new adapter differ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Regarding the “cool” adapters coming, this has got to be 1.4x and 2x flip-switch TCs for EF big whites. Then all eventual RF big whites would have a removable rear segment to reveal an EF mount so they could be used on a DSLR (at the slower EF mount communication protocol) or accept the flip TCs that engage the extra RF connections.

RF Big Whites:
All intact — RF mount
Rear segment removed — becomes EF mount
Rear segment removed — accepts flip-TCs

This way there would additional functionally added to EF big whites, making those that use them want to switch to R bodies. And Canon could wait to make RF big whites until the next planned upgrade cycle for each lens since the urgency to deliver big white RFs would be removed.

I’ve been advocating much of this for a long time. I have a pending patent application on a converter with an internal release so that it cant be released from the lens when attached. I could see a line of “converters” for the EF big whites, each with a control ring and color matched. Some could have fixed TC magnification or a switchable. There could be dozens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
You mean like when you remove the current EF EOS R Mount Adapter off an EF big white?

You’re missing the logic: All Canon RF big whites could continue to be EF lenses with an RF adapter on them, only the adapter would be matching white and perhaps more rugged or have some sort of additional locking mechanism for added strength. Simply remove the adapter and replace it with a flip-TC also in white. Simply remove the adapter and use it on a DSLR. Leave the adapter on and it works on R bodies just like the EF lenses do now.

I’m basically saying they make a more pro white EF-RF adapter than what they already make — and bundle it with every big white lens, already attached. It makes the lens seem more like a modular RF lens than calling it an EF lens with an included RF adapter.
Simply put, they can sell RF lenses with adapters that remove for EF.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Yeah, for sure there would be some big whites to prioritize for improvements. It’s just a flip-TC RF adapter for EF big whites would help reduce the urgency of calls to see RF big whites released while adding a huge feature that would draw DSLR big white owners over to the R system.

I do hope the first RF big white is either the 300 2.8 or the 200 f2.
200f2 with switchable TC would be very useful

Upvote 0
Simply put, they can sell RF lenses with adapters that remove for EF.
They already have that. In fact they have three versions. Why would they include an RF to EF adapter with every lens when no one needs more than one adapter? It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
The current adapters are designed for full compatibility of EF on an R mount so in what way would a new adapter differ?
Using the current adapters, an EF lens on an RF-mount body should behave just as it does on an EF-mount body, which is already a great benefit of course. Being able to fit any of my EF and EF-S lenses to an R5 without any worries over compatibility is one of the things which makes the switch to mirrorless viable. In addition, optical performance will be just as good as before. But the RF mount also offers benefits from the increased communication speed, which improves image stabilisation and (I believe) EVF performance. It would be good to have that if possible.

Upvote 0
the rf 70-200 2.8 is described as not compatible with extenders on the canon website. Im wondering why they say that every lens will work. this would be great.

I guess as right now there is no (RF-)TC, it says no compatibility. To which TC should it be compatible at this point? So i guess when the TCs are announced they will change that.

i mean: why release TCs of there would be no compatible lenses?

Upvote 0
My guess is that if the source is actually legit that the message got a bit mixed up and when the source says "all RF lenses" it actually means "all RF lenses released/announced alongside the TCs on July 9th". From the Nokishita leaks it seems the only lenses that will be fully announced with price/release dates will be the 100-500, 600DO and 800DO. The other three lenses will just be roadmapped or development announcements (70-200, 50, 85). I would expect that the 100-500 and 600/800DO lenses will be the only lenses that work with the TCs for now and the ones I'd expect to work.

I see no way that the RF TCs will be compatible with all RF lenses. I don't think Canon released a fake image of them and they are a radically different design and I don't think they are collapsable.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You mean like when you remove the current EF EOS R Mount Adapter off an EF big white?

You’re missing the logic: All Canon RF big whites could continue to be EF lenses with an RF adapter on them, only the adapter would be matching white and perhaps more rugged or have some sort of additional locking mechanism for added strength. Simply remove the adapter and replace it with a flip-TC also in white. Simply remove the adapter and use it on a DSLR. Leave the adapter on and it works on R bodies just like the EF lenses do now.

I’m basically saying they make a more pro white EF-RF adapter than what they already make — and bundle it with every big white lens, already attached. It makes the lens seem more like a modular RF lens than calling it an EF lens with an included RF adapter.

You're forgetting about all those people out there who'd rather die than use an adapter. We have a few of them here prepared to defend their positions most vociferously.

Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
I am not seeing how that would be possible given the protrusions on the teleconverters and the position of the rear element on many current RF lenses.
Maybe your assumptions that a product few of us have actually seen yet will have protrusions that preclude it's use on the majority of lenses its designed for is false?

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
They already have that. In fact they have three versions. Why would they include an RF to EF adapter with every lens when no one needs more than one adapter? It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
  1. Juggling adapters is a headache, and not suitable for all users, especially those who use $10,000 lenses. I keep a $200 adapter on each $1000-2000+ lens. I have thought about grinding off the switch to make it hard to accidentally activate.
  2. RF will be supplanting EF over time, so fewer and fewer will have to throw away the adapter.
  3. The detachable adapter manufacturing cost is small ($20-40?) relative to a $10,000 lens.
  4. It's hard to sell a new $10,000+ lens that is of the "wrong" format and requires an adapter. Adapters are for lenses you already have.
  5. Having a detachable adapter means one product SKU in inventory, not two, to cover RF and EF customers. That saves much more than the little tube costs.
  6. As noted elsewhere, the adapter can provide the benefit of being replaced with a more advanced (TC, switchable, filter) replacement element for RF or EF users. More benefits to all.
I hope you find the "slightest bit of sense" in one or more of those reasons.

Upvote 0
I guess as right now there is no (RF-)TC, it says no compatibility. To which TC should it be compatible at this point? So i guess when the TCs are announced they will change that.

i mean: why release TCs of there would be no compatible lenses?
This is also what i thought but the pictures, canon is showing as the RF extenders, are looking like they wont fit any rf glass. Maybe the pictures are showing extenders which work as EF Adapters at the same time. We will see.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Predictions (wishes) that might or might not be hinted with the TC announcement:
  1. RF big white lens (possible 300 F2.8 lightened like 400&600III) will be reverse compatible with EF with removable rear collar element (not sure if EF can use control ring, if not that would be on detach-adapter.
  2. A forest of RF big whites (400 and 600 III) will be announced at the same time, either a detach-adapter, or separate dedicated RF (of Canon's internals show RF will take over the the existing EF will last long enough). These require only minor rear housing change so can be done any time - maybe launch of R1.
  3. For the EF base of new big whites (v. III), they will offer either mount conversions (replacing rear housing for RF) or a collection of dedicated design/color matching semi-permanent adapters (maybe internal release). Possibly very dedicated for each lens with contour and color match.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
It's (removable mount) just a different way of describing an adapter, so it's obviously possible. What I'm hoping is that Canon has a way to route the RF protocols through the pins on an EF mount, so the EF lenses which were released in the EOS R era can behave like an actual RF lens when adapted - maybe using a special control ring adapter sold for this purpose. This would apply to the 400/2.8L IS II, 600/4L IS III (which I have, so personal interest here), and possibly the 70-200/2.8L IS III and 70-200/4L IS II. As it happens they are all white lenses, so a white adapter would be appropriate - and no doubt hugely expensive...

To my psychology, an element that is designed for and sold with a lens isn't an "adapter" in the same way as a tube that connects a separately-designed lens to a new body with a different mount. Especially if a detachable converter is not intended to be used on other lenses. Dedicated is the key.

Upvote 0