Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Getting quite excited reading these comments about tilt & possibly an AF link..
Will these new AF lenses & camera body's firmware have the tech to assist with tilt focus compositing!
I hope so, as I have just disregarded tilt & used shift only, due to speed & time allowance on site

Be great if this feature is similar to CaptureOne's focus assistance, where it notifies you of the average best focus achieved.
Possibly set x2 AF points on the rear of the camera, compositing a shot straight on, then tilt the lens manually, until the camera tells you the best average focus is achieved!
Take my money.

Further, I can imagine that AF would be desirable if a firmware has the option to focus stack automatically, product shots etc.. Later taken into Helicon Focus
Although this would be more desirable for the possible RF versions the 50 / 90 / 135

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Actually, i don't get it. Why do i need AF in my TS lense?
The fun of shooting with a TS lense is to have full control of everything. How is AF making a TS better? I mean: i want to decide what is in focus. AF isn't able to decide how i want to compose my picture.
I'm happy with my TS-E 45 and my TS-E 24 II on my EOS R.
I believe there will be an option for manual focus. Probably, AF will be more for those times when one wants to use the TS lens as a regular lens?

Upvote 0
Actually, i don't get it. Why do i need AF in my TS lense?
The fun of shooting with a TS lense is to have full control of everything. How is AF making a TS better? I mean: i want to decide what is in focus. AF isn't able to decide how i want to compose my picture.
I'm happy with my TS-E 45 and my TS-E 24 II on my EOS R.
Maybe you don't need it? I'm happy with using an adapted Mamiya 645 lens - aperture ring as well

It all depends on just what the AF does. If combined with motorised tilt, it could do some nifty tricks with the optimal settings for arbitrarily placing the plane of focus. I'l be honest and say that relatively few photographers really get the precise ways you can use tilt. AF for a tilted lens is rotation of the plane of focus, not what we normally think of as focusing (see the gifs posted earlier)

With just 'normal' AF it makes it just a bit easier to use as a normal wide lens. If it also has shift in EXIF then it allows for lens correction which could be very useful on an ultra-wide with shift. I'd be very happy for (optional) automation of correction for strongly shifted images, when precisely straight lines matter

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Excited for a 14mm TS lens. I almost never shoot my TS-E lenses handheld, so honestly the AF will be nice to have but really not required. Probably would not replace my TS-E 24L II, but would be tempted to replace my TS-E 17L with a TS-R 14L.
Do these give you the option for manual focus? Can you turn AF off and do manual focus and manual aperture like the previous models?

cayenne

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do these give you the option for manual focus? Can you turn AF off and do manual focus and manual aperture like the previous models?

cayenne
I'm certain AF will be able to be turned off. However, if the MF is focus-by-wire (where the focus ring is not mechanically coupled to the focus group, but rather turning the ring activates actuators that drive the focus motor, like the old 85L II), some people will surely not like the feel of that. We won't know until Canon provides more details.

EF-mount TS lenses do not have a manual aperture control, the -E in TS-E is for electronic aperture. I'm equally certain that a TS-R lens will have electronic aperture control and no manual option for that, regardless of how the AF works.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
While the R5, R6, 100-500 zoom, batteries for the R5&6, EF adapters for the R system, battery grips for the R5&6, 800 f11, 600 f11, 70-200 2.8 zoom, etc. might be considered "niche" items in the sense that the entire R system is a niche product, none of them are at risk of sitting in warehouses.
I just found out that one of the last of the camera stores in this area quit selling ALL camera gear and joined the others that are now only print shops.
So, in this area the major places to buy camera gear locally from local stores...are no more, so online is the way to go for anything camera.

Kinda sucks that you can't try holding it in hand before buying it, but, I still prefer online...with the B&H store card (I can't bring myself to say the stupid name), you can avoid paying sales tax, and that makes it VERY attractive to pay.

I tend to only buy when I have cash in hand, so this gets paid off monthly, so no interest fees.

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Just ordered the book--too bad the shipping to the US is almost as much as the book! :ROFLMAO: Looking forward to learning more about these lenses. May rent one some day to play around with.
Catherine
Is this the book?

Photography with Tilt and Shift Lenses: Art and Techniques

If so, not sure what you are looking at for US, as that with Amazon Prime, shipping is free, so for $31.46 plus your local sales tax...doesn't look too bad of a deal.

What price and where are you looking?

I'd been eyeballing this myself...

Looks like the the author is on here, @keithcooper - About that book...is it only tilt shift lenses, or do you also include how it works with say, view cameras with bellows where you can tilt, shift, rise/fall...etc?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 4x5 camera...I already have some LF lenses, and using adapters out there to use my cameras as basically a "digital back"....and doing the movements on my FF and digital MF camera systems.

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'm certain AF will be able to be turned off. However, if the MF is focus-by-wire (where the focus ring is not mechanically coupled to the focus group, but rather turning the ring activates actuators that drive the focus motor, like the old 85L II), some people will surely not like the feel of that. We won't know until Canon provides more details.

EF-mount TS lenses do not have a manual aperture control, the -E in TS-E is for electronic aperture. I'm equally certain that a TS-R lens will have electronic aperture control and no manual option for that, regardless of how the AF works.
OH wow...thanks, I didn't know that about the aperture!!!
:O

Well, damn...I'd rather have a FULL manual TS lens.

I've been eyeballing a TS adapter to allow use of my Hasselblad V system lenses...which would be fully manual, I'm curious the results I could get out of that quality wise...

C

Upvote 0
Is this the book?

Photography with Tilt and Shift Lenses: Art and Techniques

If so, not sure what you are looking at for US, as that with Amazon Prime, shipping is free, so for $31.46 plus your local sales tax...doesn't look too bad of a deal.

What price and where are you looking?

I'd been eyeballing this myself...

Looks like the the author is on here, @keithcooper -
Yes - in this very thread... :)

About that book...is it only tilt shift lenses, or do you also include how it works with say, view cameras with bellows where you can tilt, shift, rise/fall...etc?

No, purely lenses/adapters with tilt and/or shift movements on DSLRs/Mirrorless

You can of course have tilt/swing/rise/fall/shift with these lenses, however the geometry is somewhat more varied with the full movements of a view camera.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 4x5 camera...I already have some LF lenses, and using adapters out there to use my cameras as basically a "digital back"....and doing the movements on my FF and digital MF camera systems.

You mean like this?

camera-setup-720x1024.jpg
That's my old 1Ds on the back with an anglefinder C attached.

from

macro-setup-768x536.jpg

I did this partly to learn more about movements... Which is what led to my articles and the book ;-)

The camera still sits in my office - I was thinking of making a new rear plate for RF mount...

If you look at movements of just the front standard then it's similar to using a T/S lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
OH wow...thanks, I didn't know that about the aperture!!!
:O

Well, damn...I'd rather have a FULL manual TS lens.

I've been eyeballing a TS adapter to allow use of my Hasselblad V system lenses...which would be fully manual, I'm curious the results I could get out of that quality wise...

C
Quite good - see this using my M645 lenses

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I am interested in buying a T/S lens for the RF mount, but am undecided on which focal length although I am leaning towards the 24 mm focal length.
24mm is likely the best starter ts. I started with a 45mm, then went to 90 and 135, but I think 24 is best to start with, depending on preferred shoot subjects. 17 is very wide, unless you do real estate. With a 24mm you can still get the dollhouse model effects on exterior landscapes, and it or the 45 is perhaps the most versatile. A 24 will correct a lot more than one thinks. Even the 45mm is quite workable outside, although I used it mainly for medium-sized products in-studio.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes - in this very thread... :)

No, purely lenses/adapters with tilt and/or shift movements on DSLRs/Mirrorless

You can of course have tilt/swing/rise/fall/shift with these lenses, however the geometry is somewhat more varied with the full movements of a view camera.

You mean like this?

View attachment 197540
That's my old 1Ds on the back with an anglefinder C attached.

from

View attachment 197541

I did this partly to learn more about movements... Which is what led to my articles and the book ;-)

The camera still sits in my office - I was thinking of making a new rear plate for RF mount...

If you look at movements of just the front standard then it's similar to using a T/S lens.
OH wow...that is VERY cool!!!

I'll read up on it. I have no tools and no DIY skills, but I have friends that do. I may try to get them to help me out with something like this....

VERY interesting!!

C

Upvote 0
OH wow...that is VERY cool!!!

I'll read up on it. I have no tools and no DIY skills, but I have friends that do. I may try to get them to help me out with something like this....

VERY interesting!!

C
My skills for this one required a hacksaw, electric hand drill and a half round file. Oh, and some epoxy...

The biggest impediment for practical use was the need to recess the adapter to allow for the drip of the camera. Also, you realise just how big the mirror box is and how much vignetting it and the mount introduces.

It should be better with the shorter flange distance of the RF mount. The other difficulty is the long focal length of even quite wide lenses, with the rear of the lens sticking out quite a bit. Whilst it was fun to try, it's no coincidence that I now have a useful collection of tilt/shift lenses for paying work...

Upvote 0
You remind me of DxOMark, who's Lens Score is based on dynamic range, color depth and light transmission. Two of those parameters have nothing to do with the lens.

Lens corrections for various aberrations have no effect on diffraction, since that is determined solely by the diameter of the iris diaphragm (and the effect of that diffraction on the final image is determined by the sensor's ability to resolve the diffraction of the image, which is inversely proportional to pixel density).

I suggest you stop commenting on optics, it's clear there are major gaps in your comprehension of the relevant principles.
You seem to be the one with defects. What I’ve said is correct. And yes, I had a year of optics when I took physics.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You seem to be the one with defects. What I’ve said is correct. And yes, I had a year of optics when I took physics.
Taking a class doesn’t automatically confer understanding, and clearly didn’t in your case. Nor does participating in a forum confer civility, which you clearly lack. Since I have no desire to engage further with your rudeness, I’m out. Enjoy your bubble of ignorance.

Upvote 0