Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

If you are referring to 4k 24fps video: The RP, R, 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II all have 4k 24fps. So, what are you talking about?
No, I'm referring to the fact that they won't give quality p24 on their cameras. For example, the R can't shoot 1080p24. The new G series Powershots can't shoot 1080p24 or 2160p24. Canon will only give you p24 as long as the footage has some obvious visual problem with it to keep a serious critical user from using it. So, if the camera has a crazy crop in 4K and bad rolling shutter that makes everything look like jello, sure they'll give you 4Kp24 because the footage is substandard. But if the camera uses the whole sensor (no crop) and doesn't have bad rolling shutter or some other pretty obvious visual flaw (in that resolution) you're not getting p24 So, in the case of the R that means no 1080p24. In other models that means to 1080p24 or 2160p24. After all, Canon has Cx00 cameras to protect. Apparently even from their P&S lineup.

They all have different trim, engine, and dozens of other options too... all at different price points and people have to pay for each. Crazy comparison to Cameras. Sometimes.
Wait, you mean they'll sell you the options you want in the body style you want? Crazy... They should be like Canon and make all their models with only one trim level and no options. Take it or leave it. I'm glad you decided to go with this analogy to back your argument.

Does it have a reversing camera?
The new F150s have 4 cameras, not just a reversing camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
OK, your decision.
But why do you lose time on a Canon forum, just to criticize? In case you haven't got it, the subject of this forum is "High MP Canon mirrorless", not "I'm so in love with Wonderful Sony".
Correct response but I agree with the poster in one point: Although I do not have and I do not care about Sony and Nikon I shoot birds with medium to big whites and I would like a 5DsR Mark II not a mirrorless camera. So I got a second 5DsR since I found it in a very good price. If Canon makes a mirror version then I guess I can sell them. I do not want an EVF neither an adaptor. But if they make it an R type it will just be a nice studio and landscape camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Correct response but I agree with the poster in one point: Although I do not have and I do not care about Sony and Nikon I shoot birds with medium to big whites and I would like a 5DsR Mark II not a mirrorless camera. So I got a second 5DsR since I found it in a very good price. If Canon makes a mirror version then I guess I can sell them. I do not want an EVF neither an adaptor. But if they make it an R type it will just be a nice studio and landscape camera.
if it is true,why only landscape.i mean we would have so many mp to make what we want.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
An 80 Mpixel camera would a DLA less than f/5.6. EOS 80D has a DLA of f/6.0 and this is equivalent to a 60Mpixel FF camera!

OK not a problem for fast primes or zooms up to f/5.6. I guess after that it would just gradually (and not always obviously) degrade and we can always have an equivalent of a very sharp less Mpixel camera so no actual loss just a gain on good lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I, for one, would buy it if it were an SLR, but I am not buying into the R system. I am happy with my A7R3 and with my D850. I rather get the A7R4.
Maybe that's me but your argument would seem more genuine if you had not mentioned both mirrorless and a camera with mirror. You either prefer cameras with mirrors like Nikon D850 (a nice choice anyway) and in that case both a Sony and a mirrorless Canon do not suit you so much or you are into mirrorless cameras and you cannot reject a mirrorless Canon not yet announced saying that you would be interested if it had a mirror.

I use only Canon EF system so I have a point to continue wishing for a 5DsR Mark II...

By the way you already have Nikon and Sony. You wouldn't need a Canon. These things need expensive lenses in front of them!

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Maybe that's me but your argument would seem more genuine if you had not mentioned both mirrorless and a camera with mirror. You either prefer cameras with mirrors like Nikon D850 (a nice choice anyway) and in that case both a Sony and a mirrorless Canon do not suit you so much or you are into mirrorless cameras and you cannot reject a mirrorless Canon not yet announced saying that you would be interested if it had a mirror.

I use only Canon EF system so I have a point to continue wishing for a 5DsR Mark II...

By the way you already have Nikon and Sony. You wouldn't need a Canon. These things need expensive lenses in front of them!
Not just you. Everyone else thinks the comment was stupid.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No, I'm referring to the fact that they won't give quality p24 on their cameras. For example, the R can't shoot 1080p24. The new G series Powershots can't shoot 1080p24 or 2160p24. Canon will only give you p24 as long as the footage has some obvious visual problem with it to keep a serious critical user from using it. So, if the camera has a crazy crop in 4K and bad rolling shutter that makes everything look like jello, sure they'll give you 4Kp24 because the footage is substandard. But if the camera uses the whole sensor (no crop) and doesn't have bad rolling shutter or some other pretty obvious visual flaw (in that resolution) you're not getting p24 So, in the case of the R that means no 1080p24. In other models that means to 1080p24 or 2160p24. After all, Canon has Cx00 cameras to protect. Apparently even from their P&S lineup.

Wait, you mean they'll sell you the options you want in the body style you want? Crazy... They should be like Canon and make all their models with only one trim level and no options. Take it or leave it. I'm glad you decided to go with this analogy to back your argument.

So we've now moved the goal posts yet again. From the newer cams having no 4k 24p to "quality". Same with 1080 24p.

Again, your car analogy is weird. Cars sell far more units, are far larger, and far more expensive. How's that paint option and reverse camera thing with Sony? Wow.

Upvote 0
1. I am actually happy with 50 Mpx and would find 80 Mpx stretching my drives.
2. I routinely shoot at iso640 as my minimum, and happy with the noise and sharpness. Just delving into my recent files, here are first a couple of shots at iso640, where my admittedly old eyes can't see the noise or smudges (all 100% crops of 1 px = 1 px of original) and then below a typical one at iso1600, where I can massively crop to see the fish in the heron's beak against a dark background and the noise is pretty good and the image is sharp enough given the crop.

Maybe my standards are just very low or perhaps your RAW converter isn't too good. I use DxO PL with standard PRIME, no further noise reduction and no sharpening other than the built-in lens sharpness setting.

View attachment 185842View attachment 185843View attachment 185844View attachment 185846
That is a tremendous amount of detail for 100% crops! Great images too!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

And one gets what one pays for. That another brand offers at a higher or lower price and binned with more or less features is something else. People vote with their $. We'll have to wait and see how people vote over the next year or so.

Upvote 0
But Canon is losing the huge market of folks who use PowerShots to make movies for projection in theaters.
No matter how many times you post this it's still not going to be true. Somehow you can't seem to comprehend that people want to shoot p24 because they want their footage to look like p24 when they watch it. No matter how many times it's been explained to you continue to insist that p24 is only used or useful in theaters.

And one gets what one pays for. That another brand offers at a higher or lower price and binned with more or less features is something else. People vote with their $. We'll have to wait and see how people vote over the next year or so.
People are voting with their wallets. Canon's camera sales look to be in the start of a death spiral. Their camera sales are down 24.9% in Q2 of 2019 in terms of dollars compared to Q2 of 2018. In terms of number of units it's 22% in ILC's and 17% for other digital cameras Q2/2019 to Q2/2018. They're projecting a loss of 17% and 18% for the year 2019 vs. 2018 for ILC's and other digital cameras respectively. They even admit as much.

Canon said:
While Canon has been working towards expanded sales of mirrorless cameras, unit sales of interchangeable lens digital cameras decreased compared with the same period of the previous year amid the shrinking market.

Canon said:
Within the Imaging System Business Unit, although the market of interchangeable lens digital cameras continued to shrink, for mirrorless cameras, unit sales were strong owing to the successive introduction of new models equipped with full-frame sensors after the second half of the previous year, which served to increase the company’s presence in the market.

Canon said:
As for interchangeable-lens digital cameras, while demand for interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with full-frame sensors is expected to grow steadily, overall market is expected to continue to shrink, centered on entry-class models of single lens reflex cameras.

Who, car makers? No. They offer certain options in certain models.
And they still let you pick which of those options you want. They generally don't arbitrarily restrict things. Like if you want a red vehicle from Ford you're not forced to buy a F-150 because you can't get red on any other model.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No matter how many times you post this it's still not going to be true. Somehow you can't seem to comprehend that people want to shoot p24 because they want their footage to look like p24 when they watch it. No matter how many times it's been explained to you continue to insist that p24 is only used or useful in theaters.

People are voting with their wallets. Canon's camera sales look to be in the start of a death spiral. Their camera sales are down 24.9% in Q2 of 2019 in terms of dollars compared to Q2 of 2018. In terms of number of units it's 22% in ILC's and 17% for other digital cameras Q2/2019 to Q2/2018. They're projecting a loss of 17% and 18% for the year 2019 vs. 2018 for ILC's and other digital cameras respectively. They even admit as much.

And they still let you pick which of those options you want. They generally don't arbitrarily restrict things. Like if you want a red vehicle from Ford you're not forced to buy a F-150 because you can't get red on any other model.
Yeah, I know. And Sony lets you order the internal options you want, a la carte, just like car manufacturers. Only one grip though... The 50 Shades of Grey tribute model. I get it though. Some people enjoy pain. o_O :poop: They don't, but it is only a problem in your mind because... Canon.

BTW: ALL makers are in a spiral... including Sony.

Sony lost market share. Canon gained. Time to put the hinges back on the door. I guess if Oly can survive with less than 2% market share, then Sony can with the under 14% it has. Canon will be fine with 46%.

Sorry dude, you're officially entering troll mode. Can't you upgrade to surroundsounddude? Probably not backwards compatible with the 8 track you are peddling in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm pretty sure that what Sony users have is a 60 MP body that shoots 10 FPS with the worlds best tracking AF system. What Canon users have is another rumor about some imaginary camera that may or may not ever exist. If you prefer Canon's, dislike Sony, and can live with that it's fine but pretending that Sony isn't leading the way in mirrorless just makes you sound foolish. Just sayin' ;)

Sounds like sour grapes. fell off the resolution peak. :D

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Right, my first post here. Been checking and reading a few months, kept my opinions to myself. But by now I'm getting really tired of all of the focus on the RF equipment. I've tested it, worked with it, and it feels like a kids toy. I can't work with it, I won't work with it, I'm not going to switch or invest in any way in RF equipment.

It would be nice if there would be some sign of acknowledgement that EF is not dead, and that there are still people who want developments in that area. My wish list of EF-related equipment is growing every month, but I've completely stopped investing in it as I'm not going to throw money down the drain.
Good for you, you out of touch person, you.

Upvote 0