Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
Sometimes you would be better served by actually reading what people write instead of just knee jerk attacks. Certainly you can’t really believe that Canon thinks the dying low end market is the future.
Everthing Canon has done in the past several years indicates they see the enthusiast market as the future (At least until that market ages out in five to 10 years)
Sometimes you would be better served by considering your words more carefully before posting instead of just knee-jerk defensiveness.

I read what you wrote carefully, as I try to do with everything I read. Your original post was very much in the present tense. You stated, “With the low end market now replaced by smart phones…,” and that the wealthy enthusiast market segment is “Where the money is these days,” and, “It’s the bread and butter today.” The facts show those claims to be bogus.

So now you’re trying to reframe your post in the future tense, “…see the enthusiast market as the future.” A standard move-the-goalposts ploy that’s typically used by those who are too weak or insecure to simply admit they are wrong. Sad, but regrettably common.

Obviously Canon is considering the future. But @LogicExtremist stated the bulk of Canon’s ILC sales come from high volume, lower margin entry level gear. The facts support that assertion. You disagreed with that assertion, and you were wrong.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It would be reasonable to expect research and cutting edge features to be geared toward the enthusiast market. It would also seem reasonable to think that Rebel and M buyers are not salivating over those features, and are happy to get solid, mature designs that do what they want to do. Canon presumably doesn’t need to do a lot of R&D for them, and so can make good money selling at prices that are good deals for what you get.

A friend was here on Saturday, and we got to talking about photography (OK, mostly me talking about photography, I admit). I used to have an S95 for a travel camera, and then I got an S120. When I later got the G7X II, I kept the S120 as a backup, and gave him the S95 (or was it a 90?). Then in 2019, I got the G5X II, gave him the S120, and the G7X II got thrown into my travel bag as backup. I accidentally used it the day I landed in Rome, since they look so much alike.

So my friend said Saturday that he occasionally uses an S camera when he heads out to make pictures, but usually doesn’t bother to take it along, since his iPhone makes perfectly good pictures, and is always with him. So that is my anecdotal observation for the day. Even owning better, or at least more flexible cameras, he doesn’t have much occasion to use them. It seems reasonable to think that lots of people would think the same way. I don’t anticipate Canon (or anybody else) coming out with something pocketable that will improve enough on the G5X II for me to replace it (and pass the G7X II along to a friend). My experience of taking over 3,000 pictures on that last Europe trip convinced me that I really don’t need to get an ILC for that sort of travel. I looked at the M50 briefly when I decided to go with another G instead.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sometimes you would be better served by considering your words more carefully before posting instead of just knee-jerk defensiveness.

I read what you wrote carefully, as I try to do with everything I read. Your original post was very much in the present tense. You stated, “With the low end market now replaced by smart phones…,” and that the wealthy enthusiast market segment is “Where the money is these days,” and, “It’s the bread and butter today.” The facts show those claims to be bogus.

So now you’re trying to reframe your post in the future tense, “…see the enthusiast market as the future.” A standard move-the-goalposts ploy that’s typically used by those who are too weak or insecure to simply admit they are wrong. Sad, but regrettably common.

Obviously Canon is considering the future. But @LogicExtremist stated the bulk of Canon’s ILC sales come from high volume, lower margin entry level gear. The facts support that assertion. You disagreed with that assertion, and you were wrong.
So conflicted, the two usually cooler prevailing heads on CR at at odds!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yes, it sure is, it's where the camera companies can showcase their innovation, the latest and greatest, what they're really capable of doing. This has great marketing value in terms of promoting the brand.
It could be the other way around: the low-margin entry-level products are barely profitable, but have great marketing value in terms of forming the brand loyalty, not only for cameras, but also toward Canon's printers/MFUs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It could be the other way around: the low-margin entry-level products are barely profitable, but have great marketing value in terms of forming the brand loyalty, not only for cameras, but also toward Canon's printers/MFUs.
I don’t really get the brand loyalty thing. Companies don’t care personally about people (neither customers nor employees), why do they deserve loyalty? I certainly get brand lock-in – I have 24 Canon lenses (and one Rokinon), switching brands and replicating my kit would be a very expensive proposition. Even with less kit, UI is important.

I can also see brand inertia due to familiarity. I hope that’s mostly what people mean by brand loyalty.

I have had multifunction printers from Epson, Xerox and HP. I have Nikon and Canon binoculars, and I bought Panasonic P&S cameras for my younger kids (my older one uses my old M2).

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I don’t really get the brand loyalty thing. Companies don’t care personally about people (neither customers nor employees), why do they deserve loyalty? I certainly get brand lock-in – I have 24 Canon lenses (and one Rokinon), switching brands and replicating my kit would be a very expensive proposition. Even with less kit, UI is important.

I can also see brand inertia due to familiarity. I hope that’s mostly what people mean by brand loyalty.

I have had multifunction printers from Epson, Xerox and HP. I have Nikon and Canon binoculars, and I bought Panasonic P&S cameras for my younger kids (my older one uses my old M2).
From a practical and economic standpoint, sticking with a brand you know makes good sense. Muscle memory in terms of the button layout, knowing the menus, makes it easier take photos when you stick with the same brand and similar style camera, and of course, not having to replace lenses.

But, alas, as we see all so often, brand loyalty does exist for a lot of folks, who root for a brand as if it was a local sports team. "Fans" worried about Canon and their sales numbers, fretting over loses to Sony. Canon has to be number 1 in their eyes. Sony fans who inundate forums and Youtube - feeling the need to bash Canon products for years. It's so silly and ridiculous, but oh so much a part of human nature. If my brand is better than your brand then I am better than you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
I don’t really get the brand loyalty thing.
Neither do I. I stick with Canon cameras as after many years my muscle memory is fixed in stone. That and I just see no need to switch out a whole setup just for minor features. At home I have Epson and Canon printers and lots of Sony AV stuff as it has always been available and reliable. I change if I am forced to, but not out of any loyalty.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t really get the brand loyalty thing.
With a good marketing program like Canon has, just because you think you are immune to brand loyalty doesn’t mean you are. Marketing experts are well aware of certain psychological types who see themselves as independent decision makers uninfluenced by marketing and know how to manipulate them. We are all being played but if people feel better thinking they aren’t go ahead.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
True, by volume Canon is content to continue to churn out low cost Rebels and M bodies, but I was responding to the claim that the high end market is primarily a marketing showcase, if you look at where the innovation and emphasis is these days, it’s clear that all the companies are focused on the enthusiast market.
If you want to know what a company’s priorities are look at where the investment is and clearly Canon’s investment is in the lucrative enthusiast market.
But it’s not just Canon. Across almost all of the retail sector it’s the higher end products that are booming. Those products are less sensitive to economic downturns and have higher margins. You can’t just look at sales volume you have to consider margins as well.
I am not sure we can draw that conclusion.
With the supply shortage companies are not able to make as many lower-priced items.
They can still produce the same number of low-volume items.

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
Or just the worldwide chip shortages. That could be drastically affecting them too. I can see a lot of delayed product launches from all brands in the coming years
If affecting by semiconductor shortage,canon well mark availability on offical STORE page.
By now, EOS M6 mkII is unavailable in canon store japan

Upvote 0
I just ordered a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary from Adorama since the sale price is not much more than the RF 600 f/11.
I still plan to get an RF 800 f/11 with a 2x teleconverter.
Sigma makes a 500 f/4 for less than the price of the Canon 400 f/4 DO but it weighs as much as the Canon 600 f/4.
Is the Sigma an RF mount?

Upvote 0