Canon will release RF versions of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 in early 2022 [CR2]

Mar 17, 2020
Of course they will still be used in 5 years time. We can still buy/use film cameras.
The number of models will certainly decrease. I see only a low end and high end models.
Low end DLSRs could still be sold if they are cheap enough. The 1500+kit lens is only ~USD600 including 10% GST and 200Dii+kit lens for USD750 incl 10% GST.
1DXiii for sure.... maybe the 5Div for a few years (with a price drop). If a cheaper FF model under RP then there won't be room for DLSR there.
They will likely produce their existing DSLR's as long as it pays to keep the productions lines running and gradually replace these with new mirrorless models as they are rolled out. No need to develop any new DSLR models.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I would be heartbroken if there is a RF 120-300mm f/2.8 zoom and not a RF 300mm f/2.8 prime. RF 100-500mm is zoom enough for me already. And zooms always suffer on bokeh quality. :(
Oh dear, you don't like the bokeh of DO prime lenses either. So, if telephoto choice from Canon is just between zooms and DOs, then it looks like you are going to be an unhappy man.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The Sigma 120-200mm f2.8 is an awful lens when compared to any version of the Canon ef 300mm f2.8 LIS prime.

Yet Sigma had the balls to try it, and refined the design over three revisions. Canon didn't even bother.

I've seen plenty of sports and safari photos shot on the 120-300 that wouldn't have existed without it because, well, it exists and is half the cost of the 300mm 2.8

Is it only half as much lens? Maybe so, but that's better than no lens at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yet Sigma had the balls to try it, and refined the design over three revisions. Canon didn't even bother.

I've seen plenty of sports and safari photos shot on the 120-300 that wouldn't have existed without it because, well, it exists and is half the cost of the 300mm 2.8

Is it only half as much lens? Maybe so, but that's better than no lens at all.
This is hilarious. I have a Mamiya/Sekor 400mm f/8. Thank God Mamiya had the balls to try it. I have bunches of photos that wouldn’t exist without it. $20 lens balls beat Sigma balls?

What the heck does that even mean?

How in the world does this equate with Canon lacking testicular testosterone? Sigma was doing the Alpha male thing? I think not.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Sony also has the very popular 200-600mm. Just look at the sales figures of MILCs - Nikon is a very distant third. Maybe the Z9 will help Nikon catch up.

ps - the Sony 200-600mm thread on Fredmiranda has 213 pages compared with 212 pages for the Nikon 500PF.
Sony is absolutely pushing Canon. Sony is why Canon is now taking MILC seriously, seriously enough to stop producing DSLR bodies and now discontinue many EF and EF-S lenses. Sony will flesh out their lens line-up as Canon is now doing. Canon will not underestimate Sony again, IMO. In my photography realm of bird and wildlife photography it is now Canon and Sony, while Nikon appears to be losing ground with wildlife shooters from what my tours suggest. I have seen many of my clients switch recently from Nikon to either Canon or Sony, some to both. The R5 is really getting a strong following very quickly among my clients.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
The 200-600 isn't a professional lens and hasn't pushed Canon to compete with it. Nikon keeps pushing Canon. Sony hasn't made anything unique to their platform. Nikon has unique lenses you can't get anywhere else that push Canon to build unique lenses you can't get anywhere else, Sony doesn't have any unique selling point. Sony being mirrorless was their unique point and they have 'modern' marketing, but nothing in their system is the best at anything nor unique.

Compelling reasons to get into Canon: Large range of TS-E, fat 70-200 f/2.8, MPE-65, 200-400mm TC, no compromise f/1.2 primes.

Compelling reasons to get into Nikon: f/1.8 professional primes that cost bugger all, 300 and 500mm PF, 180-400 TC, range of PC/PC-E, no compromise f/1.2 primes.

Compelling reasons to get into Sony: Arguably better AF in their current bodies, open to third party lenses (that all make the same staple lenses).

Of course, this is my opinion, but it looks very much like Canon and Nikon are rivals and have been for decades. They both have lenses you can't get anywhere else. Sony doesn't have this. Why would I buy into Sony when Canon and Nikon have a better version of the lens Sony wants to sell?
The Sony 200-600 may not be a GM lens, but it is being used by a lot of professional wildlife photographers. A large proportion of my clients are using it. The 200-600 on the a9II is deadly and it looks like it also works very well on the new a1 from the day I spent shooting with that combo. Canon may not have brought out a direct competitor to the 200-600 yet, but there is no doubt in my mind that Canon is being pushed by Sony. I love my two R5s and Canon is now showing what they have got when it comes to mirrorless ILC prowess, but they know Sony is not going away. Sony is why Canon is all in on Mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I owned and loved the 200-600. There were some dumb things about it (the strap anchors weren't at the center of gravity, for instance), but it in fact was the best quality or image and speed of focus for a mid-aperture "white" zoom. Canon didn't have anything as good at the time in the range. That's coming from a guy who put more than 500,000 frames on a 100-400 Mark II. I now shoot the 100-500 on the R5, and I think the image quality is as good, but the range and aperture are worse in exchange for better ergs and size/weight. It's just a trade-off. If canon made a 200-600, I'm I'd likely prefer it over the 100-500 when I went out on hikes.
I would buy a Canon 200-600 immediately if it were offered. So would just about every wildlife photographer I know given all the conversations we have had on the subject since Canon brought out the 100-500.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I would buy a Canon 200-600 immediately if it were offered. So would just about every wildlife photographer I know given all the conversations we have had on the subject since Canon brought out the 100-500.
Do you shoot from a vehicle with your clients or do you do some hiking?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sony is absolutely pushing Canon. Sony is why Canon is now taking MILC seriously, seriously enough to stop producing DSLR bodies and now discontinue many EF and EF-S lenses. Sony will flesh out their lens line-up as Canon is now doing. Canon will not underestimate Sony again, IMO. In my photography realm of bird and wildlife photography it is now Canon and Sony, while Nikon appears to be losing ground with wildlife shooters from what my tours suggest. I have seen many of my clients switch recently from Nikon to either Canon or Sony, some to both. The R5 is really getting a strong following very quickly among my clients.
Sony has been in the ff /crop mirrorless game for over a decade. They are still fleshing things out? Glad Canon is here to push Sony along. In fact, Sony finally built two super-tele lenses,what, two years ago? Has it even been that long? Bodies are bodies. Lenses are where the bulk of the magic happens. Still waiting for Sony’s tilt shift line up to help flesh out a few gaping holes. I think Sony is getting far too much credit.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Do you shoot from a vehicle with your clients or do you do some hiking?
Many of my tours are from my customized pontoon boat; snail kites, swallow-tailed kites, Ospreys, Roseate Spoonbills. Some from blinds; belted kingfisher in the winter here in FL. So out west; Montana, here we hike. Spain; mostly hide-based shooting but some hiking too. Cheers.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Sony has been in the ff /crop mirrorless game for over a decade. They are still fleshing things out? Glad Canon is here to push Sony along. In fact, Sony finally built two super-tele lenses,what, two years ago? Has it even been that long? Bodies are bodies. Lenses are where the bulk of the magic happens. Still waiting for Sony’s tilt shift line up to help flesh out a few gaping holes. I think Sony is getting far too much credit.
Oh, you are correct. The pushing and shoving goes both ways and Canon and Sony will be pushing each other along for years to come. Nikon too, most likely. I would be surprised if Nikon does not come on strong in the mirrorless ILC realm. For now, it is Canon and Sony pushing each other. My perspective if from the view of a wildlife photography professional and there are a lot of wildlife photographers both enthusiasts and professionals and it is Canon and Sony at this point in time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Many of my tours are from my customized pontoon boat; snail kites, swallow-tailed kites, Ospreys, Roseate Spoonbills. Some from blinds; belted kingfisher in the winter here in FL. So out west; Montana, here we hike. Spain; mostly hide-based shooting but some hiking too. Cheers.
Useful to know, I can easily manage a 200-600mm for the Florida type of bird photography but too heavy for an old guy like me for hiking. Had one great winter bird photographing trip in FL.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Does CRUMORS have a RF 300 rumored priced? If the RF 400 2.8 comes in around $13,000 I guess that would put the RF 300 around $12,000?
That doesn’t make any sense, the EF 300 is $6,000, the EF 400 is $12,000. Make an allowance for the RF premium and you are looking at probably $7,500, and $14,000.

Upvote 0

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
That doesn’t make any sense, the EF 300 is $6,000, the EF 400 is $12,000. Make an allowance for the RF premium and you are looking at probably $7,500, and $14,000.
Ah cool, wasn't sure how the pricing worked. Not being a professional in the business, always found the shots taken with the 300 to be incredible, especially at Air shows and $7500 would be in my price range, thanks for your follow-up

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ah cool, wasn't sure how the pricing worked. Not being a professional in the business, always found the shots taken with the 300 to be incredible, especially at Air shows and $7500 would be in my price range, thanks for your follow-up
300 for an air show is considered a bit short, probably need a 1.4 or 2x tc with that. The 100-400 was always popular and the third party 150-600’s work well. Top grade lens would probably be a prime 500 or possibly the 200-400 f4 with built in TC. I’d think the RF 100-500 is a natural for air shows.

I have shot air shows with a 300 f2.8 and they are reach limited, I can also see the practicality of a zoom.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Agree that the price will likely be between 7.500 to 8.000 USD.

Upvote 0