Canon's Full Frame Future [CR2]

GuyF said:
Further to the "AA or disabled-AA filter" war that is now starting ::)

During the seminar I was at last Friday, both S and SR cameras were talked about at length. Until then, the only image examples I'd seen were either in magazines (not the highest quality of printing) or on the web (quality of image examples vary immensely. (sidenote: why do Canon post small jpegs on their example pages?)).

Images were projected onto a screen approx 4ft wide. What I did see was the SR is capable of resolving the most incredible detail. One example shown was a crop of a flower bed and stone plant pot - the "plain" 5DS looked soft almost as if taken with a cheap lens whereas the 5DSR was crisp without being over-sharpened. No contest, night and day, quite staggering. However! We were also shown a shot from the 5DSR of a cloth jacket. Yikes. The moire was grim. Like, traffic accident grim.

So, where does that leave us? Simple, get the one that will suit your type of photography and ignore those who tell you you bought the wrong body.

More importantly, where's the 1DX replacement?

The thing is that that grim looking jacket, that is actually happening EVERYWHERE the photo is in focus, it's just that something like the jacket makes the aliasing pop out to the eye, but it's all aliased throughout even where you don't get moire popping up and slamming you in the face.

If you were to project 50MP still sequences as movies (or more possibly playback 2-8MP 100% crops from 50MP stills as movies) I'd bet you'd see the R version crawling all over the place and thus clearly demonstrating that even the stills where the damage doesn't seem so apparent, is still there.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
It is good to see that you're changing your tune with respect to the lack of the AA filter being a significant problem that prevents people from taking good photographs.

A tune that exists only in your head, like many other 'facts' to which only you are privy.

So are you now saying that the AA filter isn't a problem for photographers?

I'm not saying anything, you are.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:
My God! Dilbert and Neuro; Get a life! ::)

I've just had a horrible thought. What if they are one and the same person?!? Has anyone ever seem them together at the same time? No? Hmmm, makes you wonder....

C'est la guerre. ::)
Gollum?

When I talk to myself it isn't about Canon... Or canonrumors...

mmmhhh I had another Idea - Maybe dilbert is CR guy's second identity ... Kind of like a second personality to have a high discussion potential in the forum on certain things or a case of split personality that comes out every now and than and shows a secret hate for Canon if there are no news for a longer time (kind of anger management) ... Only theories of course ;D ;D

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

I've just had a horrible thought. What if they are one and the same person?!? Has anyone ever seem them together at the same time? No? Hmmm, makes you wonder....

Gollum?

Aha! That's exactly what we expected you to say!! I put it to you, you are Neuro in disguise! Okay Scoobie, you unmask him and I'll get the Mystery Mobile. After we wrap this one up, we're off to the old haunted amusement park built on the indian graveyard to find out why Canon can't match others' Dynamic Range.

I don't get out much....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

Gollum?

Of course not. The Precious is a Sony camera you caress and stare at for hours as you crouch in your cave.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

Gollum?

Of course not. The Precious is a Sony camera you caress and stare at for hours as you crouch in your cave.

How should that work if there is no "Ring" on the lens ... :eek:

Oh wait I just realized that Sony Cameras have an orange ring on the lens mount ... but to fully appreciate its beauty you may never put a lens on it ... otherwise the precious might get scratched ... ::)

Upvote 0
1982chris911 said:
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

Gollum?

mmmhhh I had another Idea - Maybe dilbert is CR guy's second identity ... Kind of like a second personality to have a high discussion potential in the forum on certain things or a case of split personality that comes out every now and than and shows a secret hate for Canon if there are no news for a longer time (kind of anger management) ... Only theories of course ;D ;D
An theory worth developing:

Let's say; I love a good discussion, but I do not like to be out much. So the best thing is to start a web site, to avoid the presence of humans, targeted at something I know a fair deal about .... think, think, think ...Cameras and Lenses!! Ok, I start a forum on Cameras and Lense and since Canon is my thing, I go for Canon (CR).

So far so good. However, the discussions are a bit slow, so I enter personality no.2, an expert on anything from market research, the technology dungeons and most facets of psychology (Neuro) and I start threads and participate in everyone else's. Now things are moving … for a while.

But the thing I like more than a discussion is an argument and if that argument gives me more hits, I make more money and life is good. So I enter personality no. 3 (Dilbert), a Canon critic, who will oppose anything personality No.2 is saying. And since personality No.2 is confident he’s right in pretty much anything, I have a self-feeding forum, where, in case a thread might stop, I can choose if CR, Neuro or Dilbert will post something to moderate or provoke whatever camp needs provoking.

Brilliant!

PS! I’m sitting at an airport with nothing better to do …

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
1982chris911 said:
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

Gollum?

Let's say; I love a good discussion, but I do not like to be out much. So the best thing is to start a web site, to avoid the presence of humans, targeted at something I know a fair deal about .... think, think, think ...Cameras and Lenses!! Ok, I start a forum on Cameras and Lense and since Canon is my thing, I go for Canon (CR).

So far so good. However, the discussions are a bit slow, so I enter personality no.2, an expert on anything from market research, the technology dungeons and most facets of psychology (Neuro) and I start threads and participate in everyone else's. Now things are moving … for a while.

But the thing I like more than a discussion is an argument and if that argument gives me more hits, I make more money and life is good. So I enter personality no. 3 (Dilbert), a Canon critic, who will oppose anything personality No.2 is saying. And since personality No.2 is confident he’s right in pretty much anything, I have a self-feeding forum, where, in case a thread might stop, I can choose if CR, Neuro or Dilbert will post something to moderate or provoke whatever camp needs provoking.

Brilliant!

Now it all makes sense ... And you already said the two most important words: marketing and money ... ;-) LOL

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

The strange case of... Neuro and Dilbert? Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?...

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
1982chris911 said:
dilbert said:
Eldar said:
GuyF said:
Eldar said:

Gollum?

Brilliant!

To think that whole thing further there is still at least one character missing (Woman Lead Role) ... So if in the next few weeks out of a sudden a pretty female landscape photographer appears - torn between her desire for a 50MP Canon body but paired with Sony EXMOR DR asking of help from bpth to elaborate on their points why one or the other might be better ...WE finally all know its made up marketing for the forum ... ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
IglooEater said:

See, now we have a problem. For the movie, "Neurobert: Destroyer of Worlds", do we shoot in 4k or what?

Well while you all ponder that one, I'm off to set up a Kickstarter account. $60m should be enough.

Since this is a rumour site, I gather Dr. Evil from Austin Powers will play Neuro and Kim Jon-il from Team America will play Dilbert. Meryl Streep is up for leading lady.

(I think I may have just made an enemy or two (you know what Streep is like.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
GuyF said:
IglooEater said:

See, now we have a problem. For the movie, "Neurobert: Destroyer of Worlds", do we shoot in 4k or what?

Well while you all ponder that one, I'm off to set up a Kickstarter account. $60m should be enough.

Since this is a rumour site, I gather Dr. Evil from Austin Powers will play Neuro and Kim Jon-il from Team America will play Dilbert. Meryl Streep is up for leading lady.

(I think I may have just made an enemy or two (you know what Streep is like.)

I'd opt for Jennifer Lawrence, she's nicer and will be developing relevant experience on a Spielberg biopic about Lynsey Addario.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
In practical reality, I don't see canon users selling their equipment to jump entirely to sony. I can see myself adding a A7Rii to my 5D3 but I still need a native mount camera.

With Sony having a lot less lenses, especially the ones needed for high MP bodies that would not be possible... Just remember there are no real Ultra Wides, no in any way realistically priced Great White ones, (nearly) no very fast primes and only some MF primes for Sony ... most of the rest is not even worse mentioning. And the best 55 and 85mm lens in the world is not even produced for Sony Mount ... although it is a Zeiss lens ... strange but true ... :eek: ;D

Upvote 0