Cheap fisheye for canon full frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
ChilledXpress said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The Canon 15mm FE is pretty nice, mine was so much better than the Samyang 14mm I bought it was like night and day. (The Samyang 14mmis not a fisheye, but it does distort everything)

I was able to pickup a used 15mm FE for $250, but deals like that don't happen often. The front cap was missing, but there were no marks on the glass, and a new cap cost $27. I used a front lens thread repair tool to expand the built-in metal hood very slightly so the cap fits snugly and securely.

Good luck in finding a decent one of these... getting exceptionally hard to find (in the Bay area, Cali) and when you do they are usually quite "used". Cost more for a used Canon than the Sigma... the Siggy is newer, cheaper (new or used), warrantied if new, sharper and better built. I chased the Canon 15mm for quite a while, finally tested out a few 8-15L but Siggy won out after all was said and done. I also tried a few selections in the Bower/Rokinon/Samyang route, 8mm / 14mm... meh, no AF, cheesy build. Sigma still kicked arse. Love their 10-20mm for a crop, a great choice for the 7D. Not a true fish on a the crop but still fishy enough.

Some rarely use their fishes, me... I use it quite often. I own a lot of "L" glass, actually all "L" except for the Sigma's I spoke of. When my son was about to arrive, it was this 15mm Fish that I took into the delivery room. There are lots of examples in my Flickr link if you want to see more...

You are right!

Used Canon 15mm FE's are indeed getting hard to find. I've bought a couple for low prices in past years, but nothing cheap has popped up in the last two years on our local Craigslist.

The Sigma has a good reputation, I'd buy it any day over another Samyang. Someone was trying to sell a used Sigma for $600, that seemed a bit pricey. I guess the Canon 8-15mm has pulled used prices up.

I had been looking at the refurb 8-15mm L and the MP-65 longingly while they were on sale. They are out of stock now, but I had already decided to save my pennies and see what new products appear later this year.

Upvote 0
C

ChilledXpress

ChilledXpress said:
The Canon 15mm FE is pretty nice, mine was so much better than the Samyang 14mm I bought it was like night and day. (The Samyang 14mmis not a fisheye, but it does distort everything)

I was able to pickup a used 15mm FE for $250, but deals like that don't happen often. The front cap was missing, but there were no marks on the glass, and a new cap cost $27. I used a front lens thread repair tool to expand the built-in metal hood very slightly so the cap fits snugly and securely.

Good luck in finding a decent one of these... getting exceptionally hard to find (in the Bay area, Cali) and when you do they are usually quite "used". Cost more for a used Canon than the Sigma... the Siggy is newer, cheaper (new or used), warrantied if new, sharper and better built. I chased the Canon 15mm for quite a while, finally tested out a few 8-15L but Siggy won out after all was said and done. I also tried a few selections in the Bower/Rokinon/Samyang route, 8mm / 14mm... meh, no AF, cheesy build. Sigma still kicked arse. Love their 10-20mm for a crop, a great choice for the 7D. Not a true fish on a the crop but still fishy enough.

Some rarely use their fishes, me... I use it quite often. I own a lot of "L" glass, actually all "L" except for the Sigma's I spoke of. When my son was about to arrive, it was this 15mm Fish that I took into the delivery room. There are lots of examples in my Flickr link if you want to see more...

You are right!

Used Canon 15mm FE's are indeed getting hard to find. I've bought a couple for low prices in past years, but nothing cheap has popped up in the last two years on our local Craigslist.

The Sigma has a good reputation, I'd buy it any day over another Samyang. Someone was trying to sell a used Sigma for $600, that seemed a bit pricey. I guess the Canon 8-15mm has pulled used prices up.

I had been looking at the refurb 8-15mm L and the MP-65 longingly while they were on sale. They are out of stock now, but I had already decided to save my pennies and see what new products appear later this year.

That MP-65 is a great lens... I don't do enough macro work to justify it but if I did, that lens is as good as it gets. Tricky lens though.

Upvote 0
C

ChilledXpress

bornshooter said:
ChilledXpress said:
Love the Sigma 15mm DG EX rect. fisheye.... all on 5D3s and produces a 180 diagonal FOV. I'm an admitted fisheye addict ;) I bought a new one for 550$US and a used one for UW work for 350$US both are quite sharp and did better than the 8-15L @ 15mm.
fantastic shots just what im looking for :)

Thanks, hope it helps...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.