Choice of focusing screens on the 1DX

I know this has been debated elsewhere, but I got lost in all the threads.

My use of manual focus for the last years have been limited to tripod mounted tilt&shift or macro, primarily using live view. But since I got the Otus and now also the 15mm Zeiss, I need to improve my ability to focus manually through the view finder. I am also eagerly awaiting the next Otus family members, having seen the phenomenal quality for the 55/1.4, so manual focus may be more and more relevant for me.

I currently use the focus indicators, but that distracts me and shifts attention from motive to focus. I would therefore like to have a precision matte focusing screen for that purpose and I believe the Ec-S may be it. I thought Canon didn´t support that for the 1DX, but according to B&H they do.

So two questions;

1: Does anyone have experience using this focusing screen with the 1DX and is it any good?

2: Since I don´t want to swap focusing screens back and forth, is it still possible to use an f4 or f5.6 lens (like the 600 4L or 200-400 with the extender in) with the Ec-S in place or will the viewer be too dark and grainy?

An alternative could be to get a 1DsIII body for use with the Zeiss lenses, but I am not very tempted by that option.

Jul 21, 2010
The Ec-S is physically compatible, the only issue is that there's no firmware support for it to correct for the altered metering. In theory, Canon could provide that with a firmware update.

I haven't used the Ec-S with my 1D X, but I used the Eg-S with my 5DII. It was generally fine outdoors with f/5.6 lenses. Indoors f/4 was ok, f/5.6 was a bit dark but usable in a pinch.

Upvote 0