Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Marketing mistakes aside, the EOS R5 is a stills first camera. There are still more stills buyers than hybrid buyers. The #1 target market for the R5 was 5D shooters.

A larger body and active cooling will add at least $1000 to the price. An R5 launching at $4899 would have caused a revolt. Stills shooters don't need to be paying for a fan, they're already annoyed with the assumption that they're paying for excessive video features.

An R5c would have been in the pipeline long before the release of the R5.
I don’t know that the R5c would have been in the pipeline before the release of the R5. I think that it is more of a reaction to the market. Had it been in the pipeline, release date would be much sooner.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .
I said from day one Canon is just testing the 8K abilities in a stills camera prior to releasing it in a cine camera. Seems it works so good, all Canon needs to do to turn it into a cine camera is some finishing touches to the firmware, and repackage the internals in a cine camera body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Why, the C70 is an s35 camera that shoots 4K, a FF camera that shoots 8k is going to cost more.
Because the only real reason to buy a more expensive R5c would be for 8K. For everything else video you'd be so much more better suited to a C70.

Considering very few people shoot 8K why pay more for an inferior video camera?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Because the only real reason to buy a more expensive R5c would be for 8K. For everything else video you'd be so much more better suited to a C70.

Considering very few people shoot 8K why pay more for an inferior video camera?
Not really: no EVF, no IBIS, no FF, inferior low light (or with the 0.71x adapter only EF lenses will fit with some restrictions), older AF system, no usable crop mode up to 4k60p and of course no stills capability, not a 2-in-1 package.
This can be seen like as a 1DX III as a photo/video camera, except it is mirrorless now with a lot of things improved, like:
newer RF-mount, flip screen, EVF, IBIS, rolling shutter, dynamic range, etc.
So I wouldn't be surprised to see the same 6500$ price tag as well, and it would still be more attractive than a 1DX III for a lot of people - or even the C70 for that matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
So the price of the "regular" R5 will drop dramatically in favor of still photographers? That is great news for future R5 owners!

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I don’t know that the R5c would have been in the pipeline before the release of the R5. I think that it is more of a reaction to the market. Had it been in the pipeline, release date would be much sooner.
I think I have read somewhere that making a new camera-model is a 18-24 months process. Of course it is a bit blurry when exact the process for a specific model starts, but considering additinal delays by COVID, I cannot image this being a "reaction to market" reaction after the R5 release.

"Fun fact": Around New Year 2019 Imaging Resource had a talk with Canon were they told they had "an 8K video capable camera is already in our EOS R-series roadmap". That must have been the R5, which, as far as I remember, started shipping in late(?) summer 2020.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I think I have read somewhere that making a new camera-model is a 18-24 months process. Of course it is a bit blurry when exact the process for a specific model starts, but considering additinal delays by COVID, I cannot image this being a "reaction to market" reaction after the R5 release.

"Fun fact": Around New Year 2019 Imaging Resource had a talk with Canon were they told they had "an 8K video capable camera is already in our EOS R-series roadmap". That must have been the R5, which, as far as I remember, started shipping in late(?) summer 2020.
The reaction to the market that I refer to is Sony's FX3. They took an existing camera design and repackaged it with active cooling. To me, it seems that the R5C will be a repackage of the R5.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This is what the R5 should have been to start with.
Sorry, but I disagree. I don't want a camera that's bigger, heavier, more expensive, and (possibly) less weatherproof. It's great that the R5c is coming out so that you can be happy with it, and I can be happy without it.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .
I don't think so. The R5 will be for people who primarily do stills. The R5c will be for people who primarily do video. As the C70 demonstrates, adding a fan makes a camera fatter. Many still photographers wouldn't like that. The C70 also has a bunch of additional buttons on the side.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think its really clear now why Canon choose to not even try to mitigate heat on the R5. I originally thought it was to protect sales of the pending R1, but if they had started developing a cine-version of the R5, that effectively is the same thing. All things said, the R5 is still an excellent camera, however, other makers will not go this route. Sony and Nikon will catch up and make their variants capable out of the gate, leaving the R5c to die after the single generation like the 1Dx cine-version. Yes, I know Sony does have cine versions of the A7S, but when they make a R5 competitor, it will not be handicapped to protect another in its line.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
FINALLY!!! That will be a REALLY exciting 4K camera. R5 in a C70 type body. Internal NDs I wonder? I'm assuming no pro level mic inputs and preamps sets like the cinema line but hey, that's just fine. I'd almost rather see them ditch the stills completely and go with a DV 7 chip
Ditch the stills, I agree and perhaps on newer models they will ditch the video. Benefits to both sides of the industry

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Actually it forced the hand of all mirrorless camera manufacturers that were tinkering around the edges and selling mere firmware tweeks for thousands. The mirrorless hybrid has plateaud with the inclusion of 8k and all of the 4k All-I modes that the R5 offered. Nothing more without active cooling. As noted by Sony's limited video recording for the A1 and A7S3 and consequently their release of the FX3. Both being the result of the Canon R5.

Upvote 0
No firmware is going to fix what was simply just a stupid lack of a proper cooper plate. I already measured it out and have one cnced. Moment my warranty is up I am slapping it in. If you do video at 4k hq the camera overheats very quickly. Luckily on social media with reg 4k and 75% sharpness added in premier and 4k crop mode, it still looks very good.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I will take my weathered sealed R5 over a Camera that has longer record times and is not weather sealed all day and everyday. (No idea what the R5C will have but it is safe bet that active cooling = fan = less weather sealed.)

Right tool for the job, if the new Camera better suit for your needs buy that and be happy but I think calling one of the best selling Cameras on the market a mistake is just trolling.

BTW, I have not had a single overheating issue with my R5 or my R6 because I know what it is capable of and work with what I have.
Good. Not every Cinema camera is for everyone. Nor is every still camera for everyone. Some people shoot film, medium and large format.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
No firmware is going to fix what was simply just a stupid lack of a proper cooper plate. I already measured it out and have one cnced. Moment my warranty is up I am slapping it in. If you do video at 4k hq the camera overheats very quickly. Luckily on social media with reg 4k and 75% sharpness added in premier and 4k crop mode, it still looks very good.
Wrong. No copper plate will answer cooling. Period. Just a temporary fix at best. Replace your PC fan with simply a copper heat sink and see how long that will last you.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0