Deal: EOS 5DS $2949 & EOS 5DS R $3499

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>GetItDigital (99.7% approval) is selling Canon’s latest high resolution cameras for less than retailers. The EOS 5DS is $2949 (Reg $3699) and the hard-to-find EOS 5DS R is $3499 (Reg $3899).</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337723414&customid=&icep_item=171829960942&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5DS Body $2949</a> </strong>(<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119026-REG/canon_0581c002_eos_5ds_dslr_camera.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x604093" target="_blank">Reg $3499</a>)<strong> | <a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337723414&customid=&icep_item=171840235065&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5DS R Body $3499</a></strong> (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119027-REG/canon_0582c002_eos_5ds_r_dslr.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x604095" target="_blank">Reg $3899</a>)</p>
<p><em>*Note These are likely grey market items and may not qualify for a Canon USA warranty. Please check with the seller to see if they offer additional warranty.</em></p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">50.6 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation (5DS R Only)</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">3.2″ 1.04m-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">61-Point High Density Reticular AF</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">ISO 100-6400; 5 fps Continuous Shooting</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Anti-Flicker Compensation</li>
</ul>

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Re: Deal: EOS 5DS $2949 & EOS 5DS R $3499

dilbert said:
Has Canon just massively overpriced these or are there parts of the world where they're just not selling as expected??

It's good that they overprice things and don't spend too much on making advancement on cameras. It means more profit for them.

This message is sponsored by Canon Inc.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
<p>GetItDigital (99.7% approval) is selling Canon’s latest high resolution cameras for less than retailers. The EOS 5DS is $2949 (Reg $3699) and the hard-to-find EOS 5DS R is $3499 (Reg $3899).</p>

5DS is starting to look attractive. Maybe its going to be like the 6D - far too expensive at launch and now a much more interesting deal.

Upvote 0

Price between the two bodies probably reflects an error in Canon's prediction of relative demand between the two (5DS stock isn't moving as well).
Price relative to initial offerings is an exchange rate story, almost certainly. Add a bit for the perceived stability of the value of a dollar - someone could be hedging against local currency devaluation.
Regarding the first point; if you are in the market for one of these get the 5DS. Resolution improvement/$ is way better.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

expatinasia said:
Personally, I just think it is a marketing strategy. Take money from those that absolutely must have the latest tech and then start to reduce the price so those that thought, "I like that, but it's a bit pricey" will find it even more attractive and harder to say no to.

Has this always been the trend or started lately?

Upvote 0

sanj said:
expatinasia said:
Personally, I just think it is a marketing strategy. Take money from those that absolutely must have the latest tech and then start to reduce the price so those that thought, "I like that, but it's a bit pricey" will find it even more attractive and harder to say no to.

No idea, sanj. Just pure speculation.

I do not monitor prices of many (in fact almost no) Canon products, as I am only interested in a few things (1D X II, perhaps a 1D C if it drops a lot more).

But if I was in charge of marketing at Canon, then I could see the logic in entering the market with a higher price and then lowering it over a scheduled period of time. Perhaps even see-sawing with promotions as the RRP drops gradually over time.

But again that's pure speculation. And now, as it is Friday, time for a beer! (will surely have more ideas about Canon pricing later!! ;D )

Upvote 0

expatinasia said:

You're comparing gray market items to Canon USA set prices. The Canon USA prices have not changed. This is primarily a reflection of a strong dollar and the cameras are cheaper (in dollars) elsewhere. Charging more for the R because it's demand is higher? Wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

RGF said:
wonder if Canon over estimated this Canon's appeal, especially before the A7R II was announced.
Not really, it'a about the same price as the 5DIII was when that was launched. So it's a simple cost / design / manufacture over head. Give it a year (when this camera is old news) the price will drop to the same as the current 5DIII.

Upvote 0

Random Orbits said:
expatinasia said:

You're comparing gray market items to Canon USA set prices. The Canon USA prices have not changed. This is primarily a reflection of a strong dollar and the cameras are cheaper (in dollars) elsewhere. Charging more for the R because it's demand is higher? Wouldn't you?

You may well be right. My post is pure speculation and I have never studied the currency market fluctuations against Canon prices.

One thing is certain, if they have one price and stick to it, they get an awful lot less internet chatter and media / press time than they would if they keep running promotions - whether those promotions be direct or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

expatinasia said:
sanj said:
expatinasia said:

No idea, sanj. Just pure speculation.

I do not monitor prices of many (in fact almost no) Canon products, as I am only interested in a few things (1D X II, perhaps a 1D C if it drops a lot more).

But if I was in charge of marketing at Canon, then I could see the logic in entering the market with a higher price and then lowering it over a scheduled period of time. Perhaps even see-sawing with promotions as the RRP drops gradually over time.

But again that's pure speculation. And now, as it is Friday, time for a beer! (will surely have more ideas about Canon pricing later!! ;D )

I hope you enjoyed your beer! I am speculating - These rapid price drops are a new trend.

Upvote 0