Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
OK, I'm game:

R5: 1080p 120 fps mode. If you can manage even faster modes, add them too. But 120 fps ought to be doable on the SD card given some of the 4K modes that can go onto that card. (This may or may not apply to the R6 as well, I just haven't paid much attention to it so I don't know.)

R5: Put the video crop mode into the same submenu where you can set time lapse and slow mo, rather than one level above them. (Again, apply to the R6 if applicable.)

R5: Allow the Rate button to be reassigned. (Again, apply to the R6 if applicable.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Product R5 and R6
Request: Allow a timer delay function, which can be assigned to most buttons (including the rate button). Pressing that button takes you to the timer delay screen where you can set a delay of 0(none), 2, 10 seconds or a user specified value. Another line there lets you choose if the timer delay value is cleared (or kept) after each use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Product R5 and R6
Request: Add a video setting for "video movement trigger" (or whatever you want to call it). If you enable this then you can take a long video on a tripod of a mostly non-moving area, and the video will record if there is any motion (by a moving animal typically) and won't record if there is no motion. A menu line can let the user specify the number of seconds before & after each motion segment where it will also record video.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Product R5 and R6
Request: For focus bracketing, allow 2 choices:

1) A single shutter release will start a focus bracket. The user has a menu line slider to specify where the initial focus position is relative to the front and back of the focus range. If set to "front" then it behaves the way the focus bracket currently works. Set in the middle (for example) between the front & back and the camera will make sure that that the initial focal length is in the middle of the focus bracket, etc. The user still sets the number of steps and the distance of each step as it currently exists.

2) Two shutter releases are used. The first shutter release will use the focus distance to set the back focal distance, and the second shutter release uses the focus distance (which was moved closer) to set the front focal distance and start the focus bracket. The user sets the number of steps to use, or the step size to use (but not both, as the camera figures out the other one).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Which reminds me how irritated I was by the way exposure bracketing works in single shot mode. You have to actually press the shutter three times, and if you lose count somehow, or forget you're in that mode, you're never going to figure out why the camera is misbehaving and underexposing then overexposing. Exposure bracketing and white balance bracketing should cause a burst of the proper length even in single shot mode, since you obviously want three or five (or however many) shots. I imagine this is true for focus bracketing too.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Which reminds me how irritated I was by the way exposure bracketing works in single shot mode. You have to actually press the shutter three times, and if you lose count somehow, or forget you're in that mode, you're never going to figure out why the camera is misbehaving and underexposing then overexposing. Exposure bracketing and white balance bracketing should cause a burst of the proper length even in single shot mode, since you obviously want three or five (or however many) shots. I imagine this is true for focus bracketing too.
That's something I like better in the G7X II and the G5X II, and have trouble adjusting to on my 6D2. The result is that I don't use exposure bracketing as much on the 6D2, since getting there is a multiple step operation, considering that I want to set a burst mode to keep from having to do the counting. On the G cameras there is a handy exposure compensation dial (maybe too handy) around the mode dial. If that is not on 0, the bracketing centers around that altered exposure.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You *CAN* do 3(or more or less) - shot exposure bracketing with the R5 with a single press. I have it set up as my main way to shoot. Use the M-fn button and select the 2nd from left choice (for single shot/multi shot/timer delay choices). Choose the multi shot H+ setting (best). Now, with the exposure already set up to do 3(for example) different exposures, just press and *HOLD* the exposure button long enough for the 3 shots to finish (it won't do more than that even though you continue holding the button). DONE! Ta-Da! Note: if you don't hold it long enough to finish the 3 shots then you will have the bad behavior in your next shots that you already mentioned. That's why I use the multi shot H+ setting as it finishes the 3 shots the quickest!

Focus bracketing is a different beast, and very poorly setup by Canon (the same poor setup as my Olympus EM1_II) - so poorly setup that I find it useless. That's why I made my suggestion to fix it above - that fix would be *awesome*!

Upvote 0