Delays Abound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivar said:
One more argument adding more weight to the delay - PMA 2011 trade show cancelled.

"There are some launches in fall, but the significant ones tend to be in the spring."
Source: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1105/11050410pma2011cancelled.asp

I think you're onto something Ivar; why has PMA (alias Cliq) been cancelled? The answer seems to me that the manufacturers don't have enough new stuff to announce to bother with the expense of attending. To be honest, I'm sure that they've probably tried -they want to get their new models on the market for the Q4 (i.e. pre-Christmas) sales potential. I think that they've been slipping behind schedule and have had to admit that they'll not be able to meet the PMA deadline.

Hey, I hope that I'm proved wrong, but where else are they planning to announce their new models? To be fair, the top-of-the-line pro-cameras tend not to be announced at trade fairs, so maybe we'll see a 1Ds Mk4 (or 1D Mk5) in December followed by an early 2012 release for the 5D MkIII.

On a different note, what on earth are they going to do with the next Rebel in spring 2012 if they haven't released a 7D MkII. Surely they can't simply produce another minor iteration with the 18MP sensor, what worthwhile addition can they make that doesn't take it into 60D territory? Maybe they're planning to introduce the new APS-C sensor on the 650D.

Upvote 0
M

magicbullet

The person I know from a very reliable source, with a main distributor to film industry, said. There was a trainning session for the new camera that canon will be introducing, but after the tsunami hit, it was nothing. Canon later said the product will be "greatly delay." quote from what he said.

I assume 5DM3 was suppose to be the product, but now there is nothing to be certain about. all the price are increasing and about half the shipment are coming in. my buddy said, it looks pretty bad, but the letter said there is nothing to worry about >_<!

Upvote 0
traveller said:
On a different note, what on earth are they going to do with the next Rebel in spring 2012 if they haven't released a 7D MkII. Surely they can't simply produce another minor iteration with the 18MP sensor, what worthwhile addition can they make that doesn't take it into 60D territory? Maybe they're planning to introduce the new APS-C sensor on the 650D.

Digic V. They've unveiled new Digic processors in lower end cameras before (even P&S, I think). T4i might have the same sensor, but be the first entry-level camera to do 10+ fps, better noise handling, better DR, etc...

For those who think this is "crazy" or would cannibalize their line, I say you guys are nuts. Nobody who needs a pro body is going to drop their FF body or 7D to switch to a Rebel. Some would probably upgrade their backup camera, which would suit Canon fine. But Nikon would feel a blow. The competition (and Canon knows this) is between their low end and Nikon's low end. Their mid-end and Nikon's mid-end. Their high-end, etc...

I think the reason they "downgraded" the xxD line was to put more space between it and the xD line. It's all due to similar reasons that they're gonna get combine the 1D bodies: advances are coming so fast that it's hard to differentiate, and prices are dropping on great gear so much, there's no room in the middle!

With a new 5D body in the $2,500 range, there's not much space for THREE tiers of models below (four, if you count the XSi or entry-entry Rebels). I'd be happy to see the xxD line disappear. The Rebels are incredible cameras for the price. Let them sit in the $900 range and pack in the features (like Digic V and higher FPS). Let the 7D sit in the $1,500-$1,700 range. Then the 5D, and then the 1D.

I don't think the order they upgrade these in is all that important. Nobody is screaming about how far superior the rear LCD is on the Rebels compared to the 1D when that upgrade happened. And who would have thought a Rebel would have remote flash control built-in? Doesn't that sound like something that would "cannibalize?"

Upvote 0
J

Justin

gene_can_sing said:
I'm sort of stuck with Canon because I own some really expensive Canon lenses which I use for Video. With that said, supposedly Birger Engineering is coming out with an electronic EOS adapter for Panasonic video cameras. Says it will be out in late May. If it works, I might have to jump ship. Don't really want to, but Canon is leaving us no choice at this point.

I just can't keep dealing with crazy moire patterns in my video. I really think the earthquake becoming Canons way of just milking their customers. Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with announcing and delivering new Cameras and Nikon is set to release some.

Why not Canon? Why not at least give some specs? Why such secrecy? It's completely bad business at this point to just milk people dry on yesterdays tech.

I think everyone should just NOT buy a camera unless you absolutely have to. That way sales will stall, and it may be the only way for them to release something, since Canon has shown that they only understand money.

Right. Don't buy. Canon will be forced to upgrade their tech. Still 6-12 months is a long time to wait for an announcement. I just wish we could get a 24-70 lens refresh in the meantime.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

HughHowey said:
traveller said:

Digic V. They've unveiled new Digic processors in lower end cameras before (even P&S, I think). T4i might have the same sensor, but be the first entry-level camera to do 10+ fps, better noise handling, better DR, etc...

For those who think this is "crazy" or would cannibalize their line, I say you guys are nuts. Nobody who needs a pro body is going to drop their FF body or 7D to switch to a Rebel. Some would probably upgrade their backup camera, which would suit Canon fine. But Nikon would feel a blow. The competition (and Canon knows this) is between their low end and Nikon's low end. Their mid-end and Nikon's mid-end. Their high-end, etc...

I think the reason they "downgraded" the xxD line was to put more space between it and the xD line. It's all due to similar reasons that they're gonna get combine the 1D bodies: advances are coming so fast that it's hard to differentiate, and prices are dropping on great gear so much, there's no room in the middle!

With a new 5D body in the $2,500 range, there's not much space for THREE tiers of models below (four, if you count the XSi or entry-entry Rebels). I'd be happy to see the xxD line disappear. The Rebels are incredible cameras for the price. Let them sit in the $900 range and pack in the features (like Digic V and higher FPS). Let the 7D sit in the $1,500-$1,700 range. Then the 5D, and then the 1D.

I don't think the order they upgrade these in is all that important. Nobody is screaming about how far superior the rear LCD is on the Rebels compared to the 1D when that upgrade happened. And who would have thought a Rebel would have remote flash control built-in? Doesn't that sound like something that would "cannibalize?"

Advances so fast, and tech prices dropping? Try advances so slow (three plus year cycles for cameras) and prices actually increasing (lenses and bodies). I bought my 5D2 for $2400 new two years ago. It's $2900 right now.

Upvote 0
T

TheOriginalDigic

neuroanatomist said:
EYEONE said:
You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business.

You may not like it, but announcing a new product without being ready to produce it is just bad business seems to be the norm for Canon these days....

I feel like I've missed out on something here. When did Canon officially announce these products you're talking about?

Upvote 0
T

TheOriginalDigic

gene_can_sing said:
I'm sort of stuck with Canon because I own some really expensive Canon lenses which I use for Video. With that said, supposedly Birger Engineering is coming out with an electronic EOS adapter for Panasonic video cameras. Says it will be out in late May. If it works, I might have to jump ship. Don't really want to, but Canon is leaving us no choice at this point.

I just can't keep dealing with crazy moire patterns in my video. I really think the earthquake becoming Canons way of just milking their customers. Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with announcing and delivering new Cameras and Nikon is set to release some.

Why not Canon? Why not at least give some specs? Why such secrecy? It's completely bad business at this point to just milk people dry on yesterdays tech.

I think everyone should just NOT buy a camera unless you absolutely have to. That way sales will stall, and it may be the only way for them to release something, since Canon has shown that they only understand money.

You know, right now is arguably the best time to be selling off your used gear. You probably won't get a better price in the used market in the future. It seems like you're planning on waiting for one product or another to come out, so you might as well sell off your gear now, wait for prices to go back to normal and pick up a sony or nikon camera (EDIT: or whatever camera it is you have your eye on). Best of both worlds right? After you switch brands, no more waiting, no more complaining ;)

I doubt that holding out on information on new product releases, or releasing their 5d mk3 on time or a little late, is Canon's way of getting back their projected 11% of lost net income for this year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-26/canon-lowers-profit-sales-forecasts-after-earthquake-disrupts-production.html

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
They are in SERIOUS danger of blowing the high quality mini movie camera market to Sony, by milking current line so long and protecting 1 series etc they may protect and milk themselves right out of the market and lose a lot more in the end! That said, at this point they may be stuck because of the earthquake, but that is why they should not have rested in their laurels so much earlier.

Not Canon's fault. Sony has been it the television/video/digital-cinema camera business for years and will take over the low-end, just like they have taken over the high-end.

When was the last time you saw an Ampex broadcast camera, a RCA broadcast camera or a Thomsom broadcast camera ?? All three were common in the US in the 1970s.

The Thomson Film Stream Viper and Dalsa digital-cinema cameras are losing the Digital-Cinema war to Sony.

RED though that they would have the low-end digital-cinema market to themselves, than along came Sony with the FS100 and the F3.

Like it or not, Sony is the 800 lbs Gorilla of video.

Upvote 0
hutjeflut said:
i cant see the t4i being released before the 70D as there is nothing else to put inthere wich by then will be worth the money as any improvement will mean you will be buying a 60D unless they will have a new sensor by then but i cant see them put a new sensor in a rebel first.

Digic V. All cameras could use an update, just for this. If it brings better high ISO, more FPS, and better DR, that'll help compete with Nikon/Sony. Video focusing. Better AF.

Once a year goes by, there's always something to add. I'd love to see more P&S goodies added to DSLRs. If you don't want to drill into menus and use them, then don't. Smile detection (with shutter triggering), panorama stitching (possible now with video, found in cheaper Sony P&S), auto HDR in burst mode. 5 and 7 image bracketing modes. Auto time lapse stuff. Why shouldn't we have all of this when cheaper cameras already do?

Sometimes I worry about pandering to the purists, who can't handle their cameras having functions they could just as easily ignore. Something about the thought of Uncle Bubba buying a DSLR drives too many photogs nuts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.