Design Your Own Canon Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

selendal

If you would be the chief designer of Canon what scpecs would have your EOS body series?
As an old Canon user (EOS 400D) there are thing that I like, and I dont like at all with the new models.
But OK, the Canon deisgners are also human like as and may be not as good as us on designing.
So stop complaining, and share your own list of features that your model would have.
In order to be more realistic, pleae give an estiamte price for the model that you created.

*Either create a new model

or
*Re-design an existing model

And please don't forget give a price as realistic as possible (othervise you will loose your position in Canon)[/i]

For Instance:

Canon 7D Redesign by "Selendal"[/shadow]
- 12mp instead of 18 unnecessary pixsels (I prefer better High ISO performence than stupid pixsels)
- Replace the pop-up flash with and internal GPS receiver
- Replace the DOF button with a HDR on-of botton
+-Put the on of button somewhere more logic (Canon iss still seeking for apermanent place for on of button)
+ An articulating screen that makes photography and video recording 10 times easier
+ More Custom function options, for movie mode and intentionally for HDR
+ Radio contorl (not infrared) that connects at least 2 EX flashes

Considering the GPS receiver, Multiple Remote Flash Control and the articulating screen it can be 150-200$ more about 1750$

J

justicend

My Design For Canon Would Be :

Full Frame, High Dynamic Range 16 bit processor
Dual Processor and High Buffer for continous shooting
No- Articulating Screen
Add on like Battery grip, which will be for video control and 5" LCD screen (add on)
Everything like sound control, Raw option, Frame Control Button on that battery grip like add on Piece whatever you call it. (Detaching it will make it look like shooting stills camera)
Weather Sealed a
USB port (For additional portable HDD, which is used for video storage)
Supports 4k resolution for Movie and whatever MP for stills I don't care.
Supports CF>SD>SDHC>SDXC>Also Pen Drives :p
More shutter Cycle Life

Price Range ~3000$ Since it can compete with RED, It's moreover modified 5D for video

Upvote 0
J

JRSJ

JRSJ 7D-Redesign

ideal7d.jpg

ideal7dback.jpg

(Excuse the photoshop.)

18MP FullFrame w/ Dual Digic IV
ISO 100-12,800
19 Point AF System
24/25/30/50/60 FPS recording modes in 1080p/720p (50,60)
5 FPS (8 FPS with battery grip)
Remove built in flash to make room for 100% VF
Dual CF (or CF and SD slots)
Selectable "Electronic Shutter Mode" to allow flash sync up to 1/500s (at the cost of slower FPS)
AF Assist Lamp (like the one found in the EOS 5 and ST-E2)
Reposition DOF button to the opposite side of lens mount and include another button above it. (Both of which can be customized.)
LiveView/Video Mode toggle switch to include third option: Mirror Lock Up (Represented by blue triangle pointing up.)
Weather Sealing.

Optional: Since the 100% VF would mean the omission of the wireless flash commander, they should include a radio antenna inside the camera body that can trigger Canon flashes. (Of course, only if Canon were to have radio receivers built into their new flash units.)

This would reposition the 7D to the Full Frame tier, and makes pricing hard to judge. If this camera was released instead of the original 7D, I would roughly figure $3200 for body only. This could see a decline in 5DMK2 sales, (due to features and video modes.) and allow the price of the 7D to drop before the 5DMK3 release. When released, the 5D MK3 would need to have enough features in it to allow a retail of $3500+. (Such as more AF points/MP, Dual Digic V, 4K video, etc...)

Upvote 0
A

alwayswaiting

Design Your Own Canon Body - 7Di

Start with 7D Body, but call it 7Di ;D (Body Only $2400-2900)
Weather Sealing
8FPS continuous
Dual Digic IV Processors
APS-C Frame

- remove movie mode (If I wanted a camcorder, I'd buy a camcorder)
- remove dial control (Revert to old 5 button design and add additional buttons, see below)
- remove built in flash, but include boot
+ add additional extra assignable buttons at fingertips in front on righthand grip side.
+ 32MP :-X
+ internal GPS receiver or optional plug in by remote switch or into battery grip
+ All buttons assignable with or without macro capabilities :p
+ Software to configure and upload button macros and configuration
(This is already being done with TV remotes, whats the big deal?) :'(
+ Revert (Back Button) to last shot settings function
+ Optional Bluetooth or WIFI Radio Control, (Think direct iphone app operation?)
+ 64point autofocus
+ Dual CF Slots or expandable within battery grip option

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

The 5DmkII body with following changes:

* A simple scripting language. As example, I would like to have a script would replace the autofocus with focusing to the hyperfocal distance, calculated based on focal length and aperture.

* Reduce the resolution to something like 16MP-18MP.

* Improve the autofocus system: sensitivity to f/8, more crosspoints, more points.

* GPS unit, preferably internal, possibly as part of grip.

* Increase FPS rate.

* Improved light metering.

* Improvements in high-ISO & dynamic range would be welcome.

I'd pay $250-$500 extra.

Upvote 0
Just one change, how about upgradable module containing sensor with processor and necessary electronics to run upgraded sensor.

Where are the times that $1000.00 professional camera body worked hard 10 years and still having resale market value.
What an incredible waste and arrogance to build metal alloy body, space age plastics, rubbers, glass, mirrors, etc just to discard it after couple of years...
And I am not even a "green" person.

Upvote 0
S

strelok08

1D Mark V

New Technology:
*New, fictional sensor, slightly larger than APS-H but smaller than full frame. 1.15x - 1.2x crop.
**Translucent Mirror
***USD

• 17.3 MP *APS-E Sensor
  • ISO expandable to 153600, fully supported to 51200 (overall lower than the Mark IV)
  • Video modes: 2048 x 2048, 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720
  • FPS for video: 2K (24p), Full HD (48p - 30p - 24p), HD (60p - 30p - 24p)
  • **Continuous Burst: 13 FPS
  • 56 AF Points
  • 3 CF Slots, 2 side compartment, 1 bottom compartment
  • DIGIC 4 Processor

***Price range: $6,000 - $9,500

I'm no advanced engineer or anything but this is just what I'd like to see as far as a new flagship as a successor to the Mark IV...

Upvote 0
S

shiru

My dream main/work-horse body:

-Brand new 24 mp FF sensor. (let the next 1ds get 38-42mp with replacable sensor to justify the price difference)
-Native ISO 50 - 25600, L:25, H1:51200, H2:102400. (with stellar low light performance)
-Fully adjustable and customizable auto-ISO.
-45-point Area AF, 39 cross-type, with f/2.8 support plus new AI Servo II AF with improved algorithm.
-A new version of the eye-controlled focus point selection. (improved from the old film bodies)
-Spot metering at all focus points.
-6 frames per second continuous shooting.
-DIGIC 5. (dual if needed)
-Improved DR. (and no banding, hehe)
-SRAW at 12 MP with true pixel binning.
-New sensor cleaning system.
-5d2 size/weight body with 1-series sealings and durability.
-AF micro adjustment. (up to 25 lenses individually)
-Image copyright metadata support.
-Large 100% coverage viewfinder.
-Silent shooting mode without using live view.
-New tech. AA filter for much more sharper/detailed files without the cost of moire.
-Adwanced movie mode with improved fast AF.
-In body IS that also improves lens-IS. (New tech. that allows an IS- body paired with an IS lens to double the stabilization effect)
-Absolutely no articulated screen or pop up flash!
-Introduction price: 3500$

Small/light backup/multipurpose body:

-16 mp FF sensor.
-Native ISO 50 - 25600, L:25, H1:51200, H2:102400.
-Fully adjustable and customizable auto ISO.
-New 9-point AF (more wide spread portrait-friendly AF-points) with same eye-control selection as the Elan film bodies.
-3 frames per second continuous shooting. (speed is not the priority here)
-DIGIC 5. (or even DIGIC 4 if it can keep the price down)
-Great DR.
-Basic sensor cleaning system.
-Rebel size/weight plastic body with some weather seals.
-AF micro adjustment. (up to 10 lenses)
-Pentaprism viewfinder.
-Silent shooting mode without using live view.
-New tech. AA filter for much more sharper/detailed files without the cost of moire.
-Basic movie mode.
Introduction price: 1900$

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

Ago said:
Just one change, how about upgradable module containing sensor with processor and necessary electronics to run upgraded sensor.

Where are the times that $1000.00 professional camera body worked hard 10 years and still having resale market value.
What an incredible waste and arrogance to build metal alloy body, space age plastics, rubbers, glass, mirrors, etc just to discard it after couple of years...
And I am not even a "green" person.

I'm curious, who else besides you discards a DSLR after two years? I've never seen discard it?? I have a Kodak DSC 620 from 1990, it still works fine, and no one is going to discard it.

Upvote 0
It's clear that people want a 7D with even more features from the 1D series. So for the 7D mk2 (will this be late 2011 or 2012?):

-Sensor - hmm... Difficult. If it's s 2011 release, then an updated 18MP with improved S:N ratio & DR would be nice. 2012 may see the game change too much to predict what would be desirable. If the 1D line goes full-frame then APS-H might be a possiblity, but this would limit its use as a general camera and make it very sports/wildlife orientated.

-AF - 45 point from the 1D series. I really struggle to see why Canon thought it was necessary to develop the 19 pt system in the current 7D when they could have easily put the 1D Mk 3 system in (tweaked of course). Yes I'm sure it does improve their profit margin, but it just looks a little tight fisted compared to Nikon's offerings.

-Dual card slots - (even the D7000 has these now) either 2 x CF, or 1 x CF & 1 x SD.

-AF assist lamp - why did this disappear from EOS DSLRs?

-Mirror lock up button - why does this option stay buried in the menus of even pro-level Canon cameras?

Is that it? Yes, basically the 7D is a great camera. As for the 5D Mk3:

-Sensor - an updated version of the current 21MP one, with improved S:N and DR, would be great. It would allow the 1Ds Mk4 to have a unique slot as the high resolution pro body. If you can afford all the glass to make the best of a 30+MP sensor, the price of the body won't be that much of a concern.

-AF - see 7D Mk2 (above).

-AF assist lamp

-Mirror lock up

-5-6 fps

All of the 5D Mk3s specifications that I've outline would be dependant upon a full frame version of the 1D Mk4 appearing beforehand, otherwise it would steal too many 1D series users.

I'm going to get ridiculed by some people who will say that these cameras would be too expensive, not have high enough profit margins for Canon, or would steal too many pro-body users. To them I say that Nikon already produces cameras in these market positions. Yes, they may be trading some of their profitability for market share but that's going to happen in a market that's reaching saturation. Canon gained its 'number 1' position by innovating and giving the photographer more. They're currently losing it by adopting a "me too" attitude and trying to give their customers less.

Upvote 0
justicend said:
Forget 7D,5D or 1D for now.
Give me a idea how big will be the body if they put their latest innovation of 202 mm x 205 mm sensor. It will be ISO unlimited camera.

Anyway those of you who like to know about this sensor or canon latest development
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Canon-Presents-the-World-039-s-Larget-Image-Sensor-11335-01.html

I wouldn't be too concerned about the size of the body to house that sensor, I'd be more concerned on the size of lenses needed to resolve it.

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

Putting purpose before specifications:

A camera which can do photography indoors (at events), where 50 lux illumination per subject is a lot (25 is more like it). For this, I need something like F-number 2.8 with a 24-70 mm zoom, shutter speed 200, ISO 12800.

Specifications:
* Faster and more accurate autofocus (with center point) than what EOS 40D has, in all kinds of lighting.
* Dual CF card recording.
* Showing the DOF value (the value behind the focus point is okay) for the current settings would be really nice. (For instance, use the DOF button to act like the shutter button but also show the DOF value in the viewfinder, when focused is achieved.)
* Showing the background blur graph for the current settings would be nice (but too complex to manage in order to have a chance of happening).
* An articulated screen would be nice.
* Don't care about resolution; could be 10 MP...100 MP. (Smaller photosites doesn't mean more noise per image, only per pixel.)
* 5 FPS would be nice.
* Split the sensor in a 2 * 2 grid, interlaced, where each second line / column is exposed with a different ISO (or even a different shutter speed), in order to achieve true, handheld, HDR.
* Maximum USD 3000.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.