Disappointed by dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whatjaimesaid

So I took the advice of some folks on this forum and bought a used Canon 5D.

The problem is, it is filthy. Absolutely and completely filthy. The sensor is filthy, the viewfinder is filthy, the body is filthy. It's filthy. Aside from the fact that I asked the seller "Is this camera in good shape" and he said "Oh yeah, no problems" and it's completely unusable ... I'm not sure I can convince PayPal that I didn't get what I bought ... so .....

Can I assume that if I send it off to be cleaned, it will be as clean as new (or close to)? My nearest center is 200 miles away so I can't exactly ask before I send it.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2011
whatjaimesaid said:

The problem is, it is filthy. Absolutely and completely filthy. The sensor is filthy, the viewfinder is filthy, the body is filthy. It's filthy. Aside from the fact that I asked the seller "Is this camera in good shape" and he said "Oh yeah, no problems" and it's completely unusable ... I'm not sure I can convince PayPal that I didn't get what I bought ... so .....

Can I assume that if I send it off to be cleaned, it will be as clean as new (or close to)? My nearest center is 200 miles away so I can't exactly ask before I send it.

Thanks!

People on this forum told you to buy a dirty, unusable used camera?? Somehow, you must have misunderstood that.

If you paid for it thru PayPal and did not send payment as a gift, you have a very limited time to file a claim. Do it immediately, and also ask the seller if you can return it. You supposedly have a e-mail from the seller telling you that it is in good condition.

Don't wait!!

By the time you send it to Canon to be checked and cleaned, and they quote you $1000 to fix it up, it will be too late. Just return it and move on.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

+1.

I bought a 5D this time last year in as new condition. Even still had all the hot shoe paint on it! not a scratch to be seen. It was a studio photographers back up camera so had supposedly less than 500 clicks on it. More than happy.

Don't allow 2nd hand sellers to mislead you. The buyer has a right to send the item back for a full refund if not as described which yours clearly wasn't. I'd be really angry...

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
People on this forum told you to buy a dirty, unusable used camera?? Somehow, you must have misunderstood that.

I don't think that is "whatjaimesaid"

What he is saying is that he just found out that the camera was filthy after he received it.
I am sure he appreciated the advice given in this forum.

@whatjaimesaid
+1 on the advice of Mt Spokane

Upvote 0
T

treyconnally

whatjaimesaid said:

Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear about your misfortune!

I just sent my 5D off to be cleaned and it will take a while, but they clean EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. They take it apart and clean the viewfinder, the sensor, the mirror, and even the lens I sent in with it.

I think you will be very pleased with the outcome of the cleaning.

All of that aside; I think you'd be ultimately more happy and pleased if you were able to return it and or get your money back from Paypal.

Upvote 0
W

whatjaimesaid

I tried to be a very careful buyer, asking for extra photos of the item and for clarification on its working condition. I assumed that the sensor would have to be cleaned... just didn't think it was going to be so ... grubby.

I guess my base question, which has been answered by a few folks, is will all the other stuff get cleaned when I send it off?

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, it'll get thoroughly get cleaned.

But...I'd be concerned about what else you weren't told by the seller. Was the camera dropped at some point, resulting in misalignment of internal components (e.g. AF sensor)? Etc.

This is one reason I prefer Craigslist - you don't have to rely on the seller's honesty or lack thereof, and potentially deal with the hassle of returning an item, perhaps needing to file a claim with PayPal, etc., and/or deal with the unexpected expense and delay of having it serviced.

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

Shame on the person who sold you the camera and said it was all OK when it clearly wasn't. Hopefully you can get a refund or get it cleaned to your satisfaction.

I don't have a problem buying second hand, Craigslist, as Neuro says, is a good place to buy as long as you can meet face to face and check out the gear for yourself. More oftne than not you can get better deals (both buying and selling) than you'd get through dealing with a store. Buying over the net through private sellers without being able to inspect the gear can be risky, even if a camera/lens in a photo looks great there is no guarantee that it is actually what you will be getting :-(

Hope you get it sorted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.