Disappointed with 50 f/1.2 sharpness @ f/1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birger.Niss

We may be alone in the universe
May 18, 2013
Copenhagen
Learned friends,
One week ago I bought the Canon 50 mm f/1.2 for my new 5D Mark III, specifically for the very shallow DOF at f/1.2.
I am however disappointed with the sharpness of the lens at f/1.2. At f/2.8 its excellent.
I enclose two 100 % crops showing some text at f/1.2 and at f/2.8. The two images were taken at an angle of about 30 degrees, thus making the test independent of AFMA settings - it is clear that there is a focus shift, but that is not what I am complaining about.
I trust that you will agree that the f/1.2 image is a lot fuzzier than the f/2.8 image. My question to you experts is whether such a difference in sharpness is to be expected or if I should return my glas? Your help is highly appreciated :)

Attachments

• f1.2.jpg
    f1.2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,435
  • f2.8.jpg
    f2.8.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,438

Birger.Niss

May 18, 2013
Copenhagen
iSy said:
Interesting results, consider I have just posted today about upgrading my 1.4 to the 1.2 and I was concerned about sharpness as my 1.4 is actually pretty sharp.

I have done similar tests with my 1.4 and I would say its sharper at 1.4 then your 1.2 shot, the greens and pinks are not so pronounced.
Hi iSy, I could well be that my 1.2 at f/1.4 is as sharp as yours at f/1.4, but then your incentive to go for a 1.2 might vanish :)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Upvote 0
Birger.Niss said:
Pi said:
Unless you really need to use this lens that way, testing it at very close distances is a waste of efforts.
Hi Pi, I shot the images at approx. 0.5 m distance, which in my mind is not very close. Please note that the enclosed images are 100 % crops.

MFD for the lens is about 18 in, so you are close to the MFD. Take a few steps back and take a pic, it will look better.

The other issue is that the resolution at f/1.2 is about 2/3 of what it is at f/2.8, so yes, it WILL be fuzzier at f/1.2 than at f/2.8. Take a look at the test Lens Rentals did (link below).

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/01/the-great-50mm-shootout

What you did was to use the 50L how it was not designed to be used. The real question is how does it look in real world usage as a portrait lens wide open.

Upvote 0
Birger.Niss said:
Pi said:
Unless you really need to use this lens that way, testing it at very close distances is a waste of efforts.
Hi Pi, I shot the images at approx. 0.5 m distance, which in my mind is not very close. Please note that the enclosed images are 100 % crops.

See this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1294152

I cannot imagine a situation where you would need to use the 50L near the MFD wide open but you know better.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
So, to sum it up... you could also use a 50mm 1.8 and patch it to L

4662_4995.jpeg

just kidding ;)

Upvote 0

Birger.Niss

May 18, 2013
Copenhagen
ScottFielding said:
I love my 50 1.2 and is great for portraits of my kids. It is nowhere near as sharp as my 135 f2 but love both these lenses.

I have just taken these shots at 30 degrees and 50cm away and 100% cropped. They are in quite low light, but will hopefully put your mind further at ease, f2.8 and f1.2:

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks a lot Scott, your results are identical to mine. Now a can sleep like a child :)
And to you, vscd - hehe :) Great invention, good economy!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.