Do I Need $ 634 US Dollars Light meter ?

Old Sarge said:
And it wasn't like Kodachrome (wasn't it ASA 10?) had any latitude at all. You got it right or didn't get it.

You have to go back quite a ways to find ASA 10, as it was discontinued in 1962. I used to shoot Kodachrome 64 and 200 on occasion. They had it in 25 ASA for quite a while too but I don't recall if I ever used it. I shot Velvia 50 (exposed at ASA 40 usually) quite a bit for landscapes. That was slow enough for me - it boggles the mind how people got the shots they did when ASA 8 was all they had! ;D :eek:

Slide film in general has a pretty narrow exposure latitude, but I had a pretty good success rate using the in-camera meter on my EOS 10S, provided that I remembered to compensate for backlit subjects. These days I have a nifty Voightlander meter which mounts on a flash shoe, and it works great when I take one of my old medium format cameras out for a spin (most of them didn't come with built-in meters).

I remember thinking that the meter sucked when I first bought my EOS 10S, but I soon discovered that my exposures were fine and it was the print film processing that was the issue. I switched to slide film and the problem went away. I actually find it harder to get the correct exposure on my 5D2, and I find myself checking the histogram and taking the shot again after changing the settings. I probably should just take a class to learn how to do it right... ::)

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Sporgon said:
TexPhoto said:
Call me crazy, but if you are shooting digital, the need for an accurate meter is much less even in studio, because you can shoot, review, adjust, 10 times in 2 minutes.
And you can probably pick up a used meter on ebay for $20-50 that will get you within a half stop of the high end meter you are looking at.
And last, even a super-duper high end meter is not going to give you a perfect exposure because we all have some personal taste in what we want to see. Are you shooting a scary Halloween scene, where you want it extra dark? Toothpaste commercial, where it has to be extra brute etc?

On the other hand is this the last piece of the puzzle in $100K studio where you intend to make a living or enjoy your retirement? Is this going to provide the inspiration you need to shoot that piece of art that will hang in a gallery and earn a ton a $$? Go for it.
You're crazy ;)

I use an incident light meter a fair bit. Knowing where the 'correct' exposure is for a given lighting situation is really useful, at least for me. It also gives a clearer picture of where the histogram should sit in relation to the latitude of the camera.

When I use my Sekonic meter these days it's usually either during a shoot with seriously technical lighting where increments of 1/10 stop across different parts of the shot are worth being aware of. I also use it to get a quick sense of the shape of a multi flash lighting setup ie exact ratios. You can eyeball it but with a flash meter and an assistant you can get the shape right very quickly.

A flash meter is no longer the ultra-critical item it was in the film-era, but it's still useful item with a permanent place in my bag. Surapon, there are probably a lot of extremely high quality light meters up on eBay/Craigslist/Gumtree as photographers find that they are no longer using them.

-pw

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Hi Mr. Surapon,

with a Sekonic L-758DR you can profile for your Digital-Camera and perhaps optimze the dynamic range of your photos. (500€) With a Sekonic C-500R ProDigi Color you can control color temperature (if you can control it when using different light sources in the Studio) and avoid some postprocessing. (1000€) Do you have an Monitor with autocalibration, good choice for instance an Eizo ColorEdge GC277? (2500€) You will not see the difference when you not use an exactly colorcalibrated Monitor. Do you own the software to make all the needed corrections in your RAW-Files, for instance Photoshop? (1000€) When you want to have total control over your prints, do you have an equipment for the calibration your printer? For instance SpyderStudio from Datacolor. (Another 500€) Your Printer should be able to do the job, Canon Pixma Pro-1 (another 800€)

With all this stuff you can improve your pictures, if you know what to do. It is not like buying a "sharper" lens and a bit more Megapixel. It does not work automatically. How much money will you spend fo complete control of Exposure and Colors in your pictures? And if you will spend the money, are you willing to learn everything what is needed to use it correctly?

Sincerely yours Andy

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I have a light Sekonic (not this model) and never use it. I think that if you are interested in balancing flashes it is the way to go. If that is really important to your work product, get one. If you have a ton of money to spend, buy it. If you don't have a lot of money, a less expensive one will work fine.

If balancing flashes isn't something you will need to do and you are happy with your portraits without the meter, and you don't have money burning a hole in your pocket, borrow one.

sek

surapon said:
Dear Friends and Teachers.
I just finish 1 st. Class of 10 Total class last nigjht , And The Name of The Class = " Creative Camera IV/ Photographic Lighting", Teach by the PRO, and Offer to me by our Local Technical Collage in my home county.
Yes !0 classes = 3 Hours per Class = $ 95 Us Dollars.
I have a great first class last night, And great teacher , that I will learn a lot from this PRO.
My question to my dear teachers and my dear friends in CR. = Do I need Sekonic L-758 Light Meter = $ 634 US Dollars---That Require in my class( Yes, my new teacher tell us to buy Start from the cheapest $ 115 US Dollars and up to high end = $ 634 Us Dollars).
Well, My Hobby is shoot every thing in my sight---But Rearly shoot Studio Photos , In side my Studio Area in my home ( That I already have most of the Require Studio Lighting that can create the great Photos)---
Now, The Question is =Do I need the High cost one---Just for this Class, and I might not use it again . because I do not like to shoot real studio photos?

Thank you Sir/ Madam.
Surapon

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
DigitalDivide said:
Old Sarge said:
And it wasn't like Kodachrome (wasn't it ASA 10?) had any latitude at all. You got it right or didn't get it.

You have to go back quite a ways to find ASA 10, as it was discontinued in 1962. I used to shoot Kodachrome 64 and 200 on occasion. They had it in 25 ASA for quite a while too but I don't recall if I ever used it. I shot Velvia 50 (exposed at ASA 40 usually) quite a bit for landscapes. That was slow enough for me - it boggles the mind how people got the shots they did when ASA 8 was all they had! ;D :eek:
I do go back quite a ways....started shooting 35 m/m in mid-fifties. Before that it was a box Brownie. Had a small dark room before I had a camera (used my mother's). Shot a lot of the ASA 10 stuff. Wasn't the ASA 25 called Kodachrome II and then the 64 was Kodachrome 64. Problem with being old, memory starts to go. :)

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
THOUSAND THANKS to my dear Teachers and my dear friends.
Thanks for answer my post/ questions about the Light meter for my "Photographic Lighting/ Studio Lighting" for my Class this winter semester.
Yes, I get one = Middle level of Sekonic Light meter 478 DR = $ 399 US Dollars, And Past 2 days, I try to learn to use this Awesome Light Meter with my Photix Odin, and 4 of my Canon Flashes with Soft box, Umbrellas and Light modifier = Graslon 4100F.
Yes, I still have 7 more classes of this great learning with the PRO, my New teacher--Next 2 months.
I will report back to you, Sir/ Madam.
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.
PS This Sekonic 478 DR. is perfected Fit/ Comunicate with Pocket Wizard ( 422 MHZ), Not With Photix Odin ( 2.4 MHZ.) TTL mode----But I use Photix Wireless Camera shutter control to shoot the flashes and measure by Sekonic light meter.
Yes, On Monday, I will go to see my friend at his local camera store, to test with Photix Aster ( $ 30 US Dollars ) = 433 MHZ to make sure that can fire my flashes from Sekonic light meter. BUT Photix Aster must use only Manual Mode to set Camera and All flashes by our self.

Upvote 0
surapon said:
Thanks for answer my post/ questions about the Light meter for my "Photographic Lighting/ Studio Lighting" for my Class this winter semester.
Yes, I get one = Middle level of Sekonic Light meter 478 DR = $ 399 US Dollars, And Past 2 days, I try to learn to use this Awesome Light Meter with my Photix Odin, and 4 of my Canon Flashes with Soft box, Umbrellas and Light modifier = Graslon 4100F.
Yes, I still have 7 more classes of this great learning with the PRO, my New teacher--Next 2 months.
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.
PS This Sekonic 478 DR. is perfected Fit/ Comunicate with Pocket Wizard ( 422 MHZ), Not With Photix Odin ( 2.4 MHZ.) TTL mode----But I use Photix Wireless Camera shutter control to shoot the flashes and measure by Sekonic light meter.
Yes, On Monday, I will go to see my friend at his local camera store, to test with Photix Aster ( $ 30 US Dollars ) = 433 MHZ to make sure that can fire my flashes from Sekonic light meter. BUT Photix Aster must use only Manual Mode to set Camera and All flashes by our self.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but coincidentally I am selling the 478DR ;):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321556350003?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321556350003?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Dear Friend Mr. bleephotography.
Sorry, I must want to ask you = WHY ?
Why you sell this Sekonic 478 DR---Any Problems that you want to share with us ?.
Thanks.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.

Why you sell this Sekonic 478 DR---Any Problems that you want to share with us ?.
Thanks.
Surapon

No problems at all, Surapon. I was using it in conjunction with my PCB Einstein and PW FlexTT5s attached to my speedlites, but now that I've picked up the 600EX-RTs I no longer have use for the PW system. Unfortunately, there are no light meters out there that currently work with the the Canon RT system (the 478DR included), otherwise it is an excellent light meter and works flawlessly with PWs! P.S. I never got around to using the attachable view finder, however, so I cannot attest to that.

Cheers,
Brandon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.

Thanks.
Surapon

No problems at all, Surapon. I was using it in conjunction with my PCB Einstein and PW FlexTT5s attached to my speedlites, but now that I've picked up the 600EX-RTs I no longer have use for the PW system. Unfortunately, there are no light meters out there that currently work with the the Canon RT system (the 478DR included), otherwise it is an excellent light meter and works flawlessly with PWs! P.S. I never got around to using the attachable view finder, however, so I cannot attest to that.

Cheers,
Brandon

THANKSSS, Dear Friend Mr. Brandon.
You make my day, Well I still use Canon 580 EX , and EX II, 550 EX---And do not go to new canon flash system " RT" yet.
Yes, I super worry when you post that , you just try to sell this Sekonic.
Now, I can have a great sleep to night.
Thanks again
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
bleephotography said:
surapon said:
Have a great Sunday.
Surapon.

Thanks.
Surapon

Cheers,
Brandon

THANKSSS, Dear Friend Mr. Brandon.
You make my day, Well I still use Canon 580 EX , and EX II, 550 EX---And do not go to new canon flash system " RT" yet.
Yes, I super worry when you post that , you just try to sell this Sekonic.
Now, I can have a great sleep to night.
Thanks again
Surapon

Sorry to worry you, Surapon! It truly was just a shameless plug :eek: Enjoy your new light meter and have a great, worry-free sleep ;)

Upvote 0
Do you need a light meter for your class - evidently. Do you need a light meter for $600+ - probably not.
Your best solution might be the light meter ap for your smartphone (iphone and android versions available from
free to $10.00). Not a bad solution and with a little practice and use, you can decide if it's worth it to
"invest" in more specialized equipment. (Don't forget, the light meter in your camera has made it hard for
the few manufacturers of light meters to survive.)

Upvote 0
An incident flash meter is really important in the studio because it will give you
lighting ratio between different lights that your camera meter/histogram will never be able to tell u!

Having said that, u really don't need to buy anything LOL! Just put a white coffee cup in front of
your camera's lens and click. By looking at the histogram, u will be able to tell the lighting ratio...

I know GAS is another thing LOL! "Looking Professional" is of course another consideration.

Wait... you should hv gone with the expensive $634 version!! It gives u a pin-point accurate
optical spot meter too LOL!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
surapon said:
Dear Friends and Teachers.
I just finish 1 st. Class of 10 Total class last nigjht , And The Name of The Class = " Creative Camera IV/ Photographic Lighting", Teach by the PRO, and Offer to me by our Local Technical Collage in my home county.
Yes !0 classes = 3 Hours per Class = $ 95 Us Dollars.
I have a great first class last night, And great teacher , that I will learn a lot from this PRO.
My question to my dear teachers and my dear friends in CR. = Do I need Sekonic L-758 Light Meter = $ 634 US Dollars---That Require in my class( Yes, my new teacher tell us to buy Start from the cheapest $ 115 US Dollars and up to high end = $ 634 Us Dollars).
Well, My Hobby is shoot every thing in my sight---But Rearly shoot Studio Photos , In side my Studio Area in my home ( That I already have most of the Require Studio Lighting that can create the great Photos)---
Now, The Question is =Do I need the High cost one---Just for this Class, and I might not use it again . because I do not like to shoot real studio photos?

Thank you Sir/ Madam.
Surapon

You are taking the class, and they are apparently teaching the use of a light meter, which is why they recommend getting one.

I'd look on craigslist or ebay for a used one, and if you decided you don't it after the class, sell it for what you paid.

It might be possible to rent or borrow one for the class.

You should be able to find something like a old Sekonic L308 for $75.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Thousand Thanks to All my Teachers and my friends.
Yes, I got the Sekonic Light Meter for my Class, Yes, Sir/Madam, This Light Meter Sekonic Litemaster PRO L-478 DR. is Great for the Photographers, who use Multi-Studio Lights in Studio for Portrait Photos, That Can cut 2-4 times Guessing Shots and adjust the camera---Can do just 2 Shots if We use Light Meter ( The Corected Reading---Ha,. Ha, Ha.) to measure the incident light and get the Best Exposure shots.
No, Not in the bright sun shine light at out door or the shade area at out door, My Canon Camera can do a great job by their own meter, With out get Reflected Light quantity/ Measurement from High End Light Meter---That why, I use my new Sekonic Light meter at out door shooting just 2-3 times and never use it for out door shooting again---BUT, I use in my Studio Shooting with this Sekinic all the times.
Have a great day, Sir/ Madam.
Surapon.

Upvote 0