DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Chris and Jordan at DPReview have completed their review of the Canon EOS R5. As normal, Chris reviews the still sides of the camera, and Jordan handles the video side of things.
This is a tale of two cameras it appears.
For stills, Chris thinks the EOS R5 will become one of his favorite cameras. Great image quality, terrific autofocus, and handling the handling of the camera is what you’d expect from Canon. There were no heat issues when shooting stills only, but yes, there is an effect on the higher-quality record times after shooting photos.
For video, Jordan loves the quality of the video files, especially the 4KHQ mode. In Jordan’s testing of the overheating, he found the record run times in a controlled environment are pretty much where Canon says they are. The problem, that he and everyone has, is the...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Osama

CR Pro
Jul 5, 2020
I wonder how much one could reduce the cooldown time by using something like a small Peltier-cooled travel fridge or similar device. Also, how much effect removing the lens has. How about a Peltier cooler that you can mount on the camera in place of a lens?!

Not much, if not at all, based on my experience. The best thing that helped so far is removing the battery and cards and keeping the doors open. But even that gives you 1 minute for every 2 minute of downtime. I must say however that I’m enjoying the 4k non HQ mode. Once processed, the files looks clean and sharp.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I wonder how much one could reduce the cooldown time by using something like a small Peltier-cooled travel fridge or similar device. Also, how much effect removing the lens has. How about a Peltier cooler that you can mount on the camera in place of a lens?!
Better installed on the back where the processor is. I'm going to mount mine on the back as in the Tilta cooler. Right where the LCD fits. Also will us a 5v DC fansink cpu cooler attached with 0.5 heatsink removable pad.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I was thinking we use two grip arms to mount portable fans to a housing cage powered by an attached power bank. Ultimate Camera Rig.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I just looked but could not find a video stating that using the R5 with a Ninja V partially resolves the file size limits and heating problems present when recording higher quality video to cards. i believe I saw this somewhere...

These recorders were always solutions to the limits of these cameras. So, using one with the R5 would not be a cheat.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So Canon built an amazing stills centric hybrid capable of cutting edge video performance not seen in anything else close to this price point that performs as they state it will and who’s stills performance equals or exceeds any other camera and they are doomed?

Just listen to yourselves, God I hate all this crap.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 50 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I just looked but could not find a video stating that using the R5 with a Ninja V partially resolves the file size limits and heating problems present when recording higher quality video to cards. i believe I saw this somewhere...

These recorders were always solutions to the limits of these cameras. So, using one with the R5 would not be a cheat.

Never mind: This and this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
So Canon built an amazing stills centric hybrid capable of cutting edge video performance not seen in anything else close to this price point that performs as they state it will and who’s stills performance equals or exceeds any other camera and they are doomed?

doomed to be successful?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

All gear has limitations. The question always is: Can I -- anyone considering the equipment -- work within those limitations? That's it. The same question applies to Arri and Phase One cameras.

That said, Canon's past use of the cripple hammer was annoying.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore

Take a break. This crap is just the nature of social media. None of this will affect what you are able to produce, and your work will not be judged based on the equipment you use.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Still waiting to hear if Canon will duplicate the R5 into 5Dmark5 (with OVF).
No they won’t. Why would they they are being crucified for making the R5, this negative PR will have a very real impact on the cameras we get moving forwards, expect stills to take a huge back seat to video performance even though the vast majority of buyers, unlike testers and reviewers, don’t give a damn about the video specs.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Take a break. This crap is just the nature of social media. None of this will affect what you are able to produce, and your work will not be judged based on the equipment you use.
But this storm in a teacup is going to have real impact on the future releases from Canon. The R5 is the best and most capable stills camera they have ever made, by far, it is also pushing the boundaries of video capabilities and the ‘normal’ video specs are comparable to what we are used to, yet Canon are being destroyed for releasing it. Which means they won’t do it again and to appease the bullshit they will focus more and more on video performance that most buyers simply don’t care about.

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
No they won’t. Why would they they are being crucified for making the R5, this negative PR will have a very real impact on the cameras we get moving forwards, expect stills to take a huge back seat to video performance even though the vast majority of buyers, unlike testers and reviewers, don’t give a damn about the video specs.
If you are right, I guess I will be using the R5 for a long time. :love:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Correction: They built a stills camera with great AF that overheats while taking stills making the “cutting edge” 8k and HQ modes unusable in “hybrid” scenarios. They marketed the 8K30 and 4K120 as if it were actually usable. They only released the overheat times after we questioned them days after preorders started. Stop making excuses for a shady PR team. There is nothing cutting edge having to wait 2 hours for 20 minutes of record time (if you’re not taking stills).

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

But this storm in a teacup is going to have real impact on the future releases from Canon. The R5 is the best and most capable stills camera they have ever made, by far, it is also pushing the boundaries of video capabilities and the ‘normal’ video specs are comparable to what we are used to, yet Canon are being destroyed for releasing it. Which means they won’t do it again and to appease the bullshit they will focus more and more on video performance that most buyers simply don’t care about.
I care about video.

Upvote 0