DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
There have been rumors (from this site) that Canon doesn't have any plans to further develop the EOS 5d line. So there won't be a 5d Mark V. I hope they are wrong.

This camera (R5) sure seems like the 5D5, and seems it has been stated that there will not be a DSLR version of it by Canon. They said via allegedly reliable sources there may be some other camera for that audience. Could be the 5DsR gets an update. I'd probably buy that and either keep the R5 or sell it. The EVF has a ton of benefits and looks better than any EVF I have ever tried, but I still like an OVF and larger body. Mirrorless is in some ways over rated. At the least the bodies should be larger.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If I were to use video for framegrabs I would just use 8K and we know that’s good :cool:
Perhaps, but 4K120 will get more of the action. I've already seen the significant difference between 4K 30 and 60 with the 1DX2 shooting the Quetzal (bird) in Costa Rica. Unfortunately, with that camera, the AF was not nearly fast enough.

Jack

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
my feedback after 3 days with the R5 coming from a 5Div:
- Eye AF is simple and amazing. ISO12800 @5m @20mm focal length was perfect on a EF16-35mm f4 lens! SOOC had well controlled noise
- Focus bracketing a breeze but too easy for a huge stack that my PC/photoshop had issues :)
- Just a breeze with the RF 70-200mm lens. With IBIS I think that the tripod mount won't be used too often and light enough that mounting a tripod on the body is sufficient
- Flippy screen use even for my daughter (iPhone style shooting at arm's length) + selfies + canon app for transferring files is the number #1 benefit from their perspective
- half a battery usage for a day's macro shooting of about 700 shots. Again, love the flippy screen!
- Adobe .cr3->dng works fine but am looking forward to ACR support in Lightroom
- Sold the custom R5 strap! Lovely but it wouldn't see any love from me.
- Control ring R mount adaptor is sold out across Australia

Has anyone had any issues with minimum focusing distance with the EF100mm L? It seemed that is wouldn't focus close to 1:1
Sounds like the R5 is working well for you. Just to add to the battery life data as a lot of folks seem to be worried about poor battery life in the R5. I have shot the camera for 3 days now and I have shot a couple of 5 hour sessions in Florida's heat and humidity and I have gotten well over 2000 clicks each session (birds in flight so a lot of burst shooting) and my batteries had only dropped one dot on the battery meter. I am using the grip and I am shooting as I normally would, so not trying to conserve battery in any way. IMO it uses less battery than my a9II with a grip. So, I at this point have no worries about battery life. Just FYI.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This morning I had just 15 minutes with my R5, EF 100-400 and adaptor. It was typical California coastal "June gloom".
I am over the moon with my pictures and I will upload one or two when I get them off the camera.
Auto ISO at 1/1600 or 1/2000 and F8 or F7.1 worked out at 500 or 640 ISO.
Animal tracking worked perfectly and the pictures are SO Much better than anything I could take with my 5DIV.
I am keeping my r5 and can't wait to save up for RF 100-500.
Fear not dear friends, if you want a great stills camera, look no further.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Finally an 800mm review by fro no less, though he has to learn about teleconverters and bokeh
Obviously a review for beginners. These lenses are going to sell based on weight, size and price to a lot of people who don't mind the compromises because the IQ is very decent. Canon will hook beginners and then sell more expensive lenses as they progress - great move.

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Obviously a review for beginners. These lenses are going to sell based on weight, size and price to a lot of people who don't mind the compromises because the IQ is very decent. Canon will hook beginners and then sell more expensive lenses as they progress - great move.

Jack
sound like a plan to me (y)

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019

Jack
sold me one, portability, the best lens is the one you have on you, my 600 never leaves the house

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Correction: They built a stills camera with great AF that overheats while taking stills making the “cutting edge” 8k and HQ modes unusable in “hybrid” scenarios. They marketed the 8K30 and 4K120 as if it were actually usable. They only released the overheat times after we questioned them days after preorders started. Stop making excuses for a shady PR team. There is nothing cutting edge having to wait 2 hours for 20 minutes of record time (if you’re not taking stills).

Canon revealed the heat limitations at the same time they announced the camera on July 9. That's the same time Canon dealers were officially allowed to take preorders. It wasn't "days after".

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I mean publicizing the specs alone and leading with that on every ad is pretty misleading.

From Canon’s page: “Canon revolutionized the video industry with the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II which provided solutions for what was previously seen as improbable - the EOS R5 will again push the boundaries of what filmmakers can do compared to current DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. With Internal, uncropped 8K video shooting at up to 29.97fps, and 4K video shooting at up to 119.9fps, in 4:2:2 10-bit (H.265) Canon Log, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K modes, image makers worldwide will be able to tell their stories in larger-than-life resolutions. Additional new features include: Internally recorded and uncropped 8K RAW Recording up to 29.97 fps with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and HDR-PQ Recording (H.265) capability.”

You’ll be hard pressed to find anything about limitations due to heat on their website.

Peter?

It’s time to be honest and agree that Canon built up a lot of hype on the R5 for video. Usability is way more important.

What Ads would that be? Where did you see advertisements for the R5 and R6 before July 9, 2020?

You're confusing third party YouTube videos and third party rumor site posts with official Canon communications.

At least here in the U.S., every press release about the "in development" R5 gave information about the stills capabilities before mentioning the video capabilities. It's not Canon's fault the YouTube idiots ignored all of that and couldn't stop wetting their pants over an 8K capable stills camera for less than a five figure price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There gets to a point where advertising can become insulting to the consumer, gullible or not. Canon withholding the time limitations until after Pre-order day and not even being on their website is dishonest. That’s my opinion. I’m glad Peter was able to say something in his review for it.

Let me sell you a sports car.

Awesome, wait where’s the engine?

Oh, no engine, but it’s still a sports car. See? I wrote it on the spec sheet!

What YouTuber specifically?

You keep saying Canon withheld the time limitation until after pre-order day.

You are being blatantly dishonest!

They revealed the limitations in the live online announcement event the morning of July 9. They allowed Canon Explorers of Light who had access to pre-production copies of the cameras to release their reviews, knowing that those reviews included information about recording limits due to heating. No one bought and paid for an R5 before this information was available.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The way you worded your original comment made it sound like you bought RF lenses in the hope that the next R body would meet your needs precisely, my mistake I guess?

He was doing false advertising. That's the impression I got also.

How dare he be so blatantly deceptive?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If the sensor was overheating airflow over the sensor would quickly bring it back down to usable temps. Fans on the sensor after a HQ take do not work, so it's not the sensor.

If it was the battery, card, or card writer interface then swapping those out would immediately restore some recording time. Swapping them out does nothing.

This basically leaves DIGIC as the point of thermal overload. If the DIGIC processor was properly heat piped to the body you would expect the body...or part of it...to be very hot to the touch after overheating. But people are reporting it's not. You would also expect airflow over the body or ice packs on the body to dramatically reduce cool down times, but they don't seem to. Another wrinkle is that in hot sunlight the R5's recording times don't change much while other cameras take a big hit. (Of course those cameras cool relatively quickly and can be used again while the R5 sits there.) This all points to DIGIC being thermally isolated from the body and the environment.

Spare me the ad hominem attacks. Reviewers investigating this want to love this camera. There is so much to love. But it doesn't matter because the camera can't shed heat fast enough.

If you go back through my comments on this topic you'll find in the beginning I was on the other side. "Of course there are record limits...every fan-less hybrid has them...laws of physics...if you need 2 hour takes you need a dedicated cine camera with a fan...etc." I flipped when the data made it clear that the camera could not cool down and therefore would be unusable in typical hybrid scenarios, much less cinema productions. I also speculated, based on stills cutting into record times, that thermal issues would become apparent even while stills shooting, and those reports are starting to trickle in.

There's a problem. Either DIGIC doesn't have a proper heatsink/heat pipe, or it does but the materials are out of spec, or everything is fine there but the body is covered in Owens Corning R25.

How's that theory holding up?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

What Ads would that be? Where did you see advertisements for the R5 and R6 before July 9, 2020?

You're confusing third party YouTube videos and third party rumor site posts with official Canon communications.

At least here in the U.S., every press release about the "in development" R5 gave information about the stills capabilities before mentioning the video capabilities. It's not Canon's fault the YouTube idiots ignored all of that and couldn't stop wetting their pants over an 8K capable stills camera for less than a five figure price.
Hey Michael. I see I’ve been living in your head rent free for the last hour. Thanks! Also, you’re wrong. I’m referring to Canon’s official announcement, directly. Very poor marketing strategy.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Can you link it with the time stamp please?

9 July 2020
footnotes, #26:
xxvi Video recording size is 8K 30p movies with full Dual Pixel CMOS AF II autofocus and no crop. The video recording time of the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 is are limited by heat.

Upvote 0