DRones vs. anti-DRones: how to resolve the controversy

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
V8Beast said:
RLPhoto said:
I'd say for every 2 out of three drones, the photos they actually produce are garbage. Now I'm speaking about the drones that come here to complain so fiercely that when we actually scrutinize the photos the produce, they fall flat on their face.

Careful. I get flamed every time I make a similar observation. According to some of the most vocal DR "advocates," most people seeking more DR do indeed produce stunning images.......it's just that they keep those images top secret, and no one is allowed to see them.
I think you mistake that I want to be correct on that statement. I really hope that I'm wrong and a Droner can prove me wrong. IE: dilbert.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
V8Beast said:
RLPhoto said:
I'd say for every 2 out of three drones, the photos they actually produce are garbage. Now I'm speaking about the drones that come here to complain so fiercely that when we actually scrutinize the photos the produce, they fall flat on their face.

Careful. I get flamed every time I make a similar observation. According to some of the most vocal DR "advocates," most people seeking more DR do indeed produce stunning images.......it's just that they keep those images top secret, and no one is allowed to see them.
I think you mistake that I want to be correct on that statement. I really hope that I'm wrong and a Droner can prove me wrong. IE: dilbert.

I'd love to be proven wrong. dilbert has vowed to post images that makes Canon shooters envious once he switches to SoNikon. For his sake, hopefully that new camera will come in a bundle that includes a functioning ballhead and cable release.

Upvote 0
Improved dynamic range would be great. Improved shadow noise would be great.

Questions that still remain for me regarding advocates of DR and shadow noise improvement....does it consistently make your photos better? Will you be able to accomplish a whole lot more if those two areas are improved a little bit? Have you actually handled files from the Sony 36.3 MP sensor?

As I have stated previously, I have done the Sony experiment for several months. Taken as a whole, there is no real noticeable improvement in my photos on average. There may be several shots here and there that I appreciated the improved malleability of in post. But generally speaking, I didn't notice anything about the end products that led me to say to myself, "man, I love having this sensor because it makes my photos noticeably better all the time."

The truth of the matter is, I hardly ever noticed it. What I did notice though was that I hated the OOC colors when using AWB the most out of every camera that I own currently. I also noticed that I could zoom in a little further to look at things that no one ever looks at in my photos.

The few times I enjoyed having it:
-long exposure night time shooting
-poorly exposed captures

In essence, what resolved the issue for me was actually putting my money where my mouth was and just picking up the rig to use for an extended period. Others that are curious about it but have not handled it should go and do so for themselves. Most of the debating about theoretical improvements or lack thereof should cease.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Maximilian said:
pierlux said:
how to resolve the controversy
Only two possibilities:
1. Canon designs or buys a sensor equal or better than exmor.
2. Canon to file for bankruptcy and will stop designing sensors and selling cameras.

I vote for "1." ;)

PS.: And even if "1." would happen soon, the sensor wouldn't be good enough to them... I suppose.

When the G7 X came out, immediately the complainers started. Now that its revealed that its a Sony sensor, they look pretty dumb, having already said how poor it is.

Who was complaining? And wasn't it clear it had a SOny sensor from teh start? AFAIK, all the tech people who post about DR and so on, were 99% sure it was the sensor from the RX100 the moment they read the initial press release.

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Maximilian said:
pierlux said:
how to resolve the controversy
Only two possibilities:
1. Canon designs or buys a sensor equal or better than exmor.
2. Canon to file for bankruptcy and will stop designing sensors and selling cameras.

I vote for "1." ;)

PS.: And even if "1." would happen soon, the sensor wouldn't be good enough to them... I suppose.

Option 1 wouldn't work, DRones are anti-Canon as much as anything. There is no possibility of Canon making something good enough to satisfy them.

And yet some years back some us were actually raving all over the net about how great Canon was and most us still rave about the lenses and UI. Some of us used to flat out recommend new buyers go with Canon.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

Why do those who don't care about the issue always have to get personal and bring it down to such things?

You don't see those who care about the issue running around trying to subtly or not so subtly hint that the pics of those who don't care all stink do you?

Fact is that some of the DRoners shoot a lot more and have better portfolios than some who don't care. And that some who don't care have much better portfolios than those who do. And, most importantly, whatever the case, none of that has anything to do with anything.

If someone says 1+1=2 they are not wrong because their photos stink and if someone has amazing photos and says 1+1=3 that doesn't mean 1+1=3. You are conflating things that have nothing to do with each other.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
The best way to resolve the controversy is either:

1) Those unsatisfied with Canon's sensors should write, email, and correspond in any way possible TO CANON. Posting on this forum does nothing positive if you actually want Canon to improve their sensor technology.

2) Those unsatisfied with Canon's sensors should buy another camera that they think will be better if they can afford to.

If not - well, keep quiet, because it does no good. All it does is make Canon users annoyed - and even worse, may spoil their photographing experience. I was perfectly happy with my Canon camera and always have been. Why? Because even the earliest Digital Rebel produced better pics than my old film cameras. What today's cameras can do is incredible.

But now, this constant drum-beat of "more DR," "Are Canon sensors now two generations behind...", etc, etc, has me - and I'm sure many others - no longer satisfied, or at least wondering if we should get a different camera.

Well, Thanks you DR pushers. Congratulations on being spoil sports. You have done a remarkable job! Mind you, it does nothing to solve your problem with limited DR. You have accomplished nothing but making others as miserable as you are.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
You don't see those who care about the issue running around trying to subtly or not so subtly hint that the pics of those who don't care all stink do you?

Of course you see that, constantly and in no way subtly. Not in a personal way, as in 'your photos stink'. But, if Canon sensors have "poor IQ", deliver "sub-par/unacceptable IQ", and/or just plain "suck" (all of which are quotes from 'those who care about the issue'), that's tantamount to saying pictures taken by those using Canon dSLRs are poor, sub-par, or just plain suck. Has it really not occurred to you that statements like 'Canon sensors deliver poor IQ' are a slam on the images of anyone using them, and how some people might just find that a little wee bit offensive?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Of course you see that, constantly and in no way subtly. Not in a personal way, as in 'your photos stink'. But, if Canon sensors have "poor IQ", deliver "sub-par/unacceptable IQ", and/or just plain "suck" (all of which are quotes from 'those who care about the issue'), that's tantamount to saying pictures taken by those using Canon dSLRs are poor, sub-par, or just plain suck. Has it really not occurred to you that statements like 'Canon sensors deliver poor IQ' are a slam on the images of anyone using them, and how some people might just find that a little wee bit offensive?

Saying that the sensor is behind on low ISO DR is not at all the same as saying that anyone who uses a Canon has sucky portfolio!

And it's not even saying that all shots taken will be behind ones taken with other cameras even from a raw lowest level technical perspective. As I've said you can take billions of photos where it won't make any difference at all that matters. For those that just look at some overall DxO score and say the Canon sensors flat out all-around stink, maybe they imply that at the deepest technical level the images taken with them won't quite have the same noise/color or whatnot, but most of the people who post a ton about DR don't go to that extreme and again even for those very few who both do and post a lot, they are definitely not trying to say that any photo taken with a Canon is useless or stinks much less with zero artistic or technical merit.

I don't see what that has to do with comments like only photographic morons who can't take a shot, don't know how to step outside of a lab, don't know how to post-process care about DR or comments that a large majority of those who care about DR supposedly have terrible portfolios.

And I don't see what having a great or terrible portfolio has to do with a technical comment anyway. It's a false argument.

Nat Geo published a book a while back and many photos had bits of motion blur, OOF, tons of noise but they were still mostly all cool photos so I also don't say everything has to be technically perfect for a photo to not be junk either.

Mostly I just go out and have great fun and enjoy using my camera. But I certainly hit scenarios often enough where more DR would be really nice so I don't have any problem when on tech forums trying to push to get Canon to invest what they need to to move forward (or to get on them for silly games they play with AutoISO or microfocus in this body and then not the next and then back in again as a 'new' feature or not putting in basic usability features ML gives for video or not moving to a more natural video processor than the waxy, blurry one they keep using, perhaps to try to make their Cxx line and such look better, while other brands charge forward). I didn't even used to complain about little things, but after years of seeing some of the games they play and years of seeing anyone who ever dared bring up anything Canon was not perfect at get tarred and feathered and trashed and a lot of bogus technical claims being posted all over I probably became a lot more combative and started posting a ton more about such things.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Saying that the sensor is behind on low ISO DR is not at all the same as saying that anyone who uses a Canon has sucky portfolio!

Saying that the sensor is behind on low ISO DR is not at all the same as saying the sensor is poor, sub-par, or sucks. But 'those who care about the issue' quite often state the latter. Poor, unacceptable IQ is tantamount to poor, unacceptable images.

Canon sensors having less low ISO DR is an objective, testable fact. 'Poor, unacceptable image quality' is a value judgement on the sensor and, by extension, the pictures it produces.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Saying that the sensor is behind on low ISO DR is not at all the same as saying the sensor is poor, sub-par, or sucks. But 'those who care about the issue' quite often state the latter. Poor, unacceptable IQ is tantamount to poor, unacceptable images.

Canon sensors having less low ISO DR is an objective, testable fact. 'Poor, unacceptable image quality' is a value judgement on the sensor and, by extension, the pictures it produces.

Even the ones who say it's poor in general, just mean in relation to other current stuff and I hardly think they mean to imply than any images taken with it are of poor and unacceptable quality in general and even if one actually did it's still just talking about tech, not someone's composition or style or whatnot and not personally trashing them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Even the ones who say it's poor in general, just mean in relation to other current stuff and I hardly think they mean to imply than any images taken with it are of poor and unacceptable quality in general...

When were you elected their spokesperson?

If you want to handwave around semantics, that's fine. "Canon sensors suck balls at low ISO, compared to the norm today...it's just the simple truth of the matter." Implication...anyone shooting with Canon sensors at low ISO who's pleased is happy with image quality that sucks balls. Nice.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I managed to listen to radio bit this morning on the way to work

Worth listening to all of it, as there are sections pertinent to the various behaviors we see on forums, like this, scattered throughout the episode.

Accused troll Brenda Leyland's death sparks debate over how (or if) cyberbullies should be confronted

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/current_20141008_80336.mp3

It's a free download, courtesy of canadian taxpayers, i mean citizens, like me. Enjoy. :)

EDIT: ooops, forgot to include the episode title

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
LetTheRightLensIn said:
RLPhoto said:

Why do those who don't care about the issue always have to get personal and bring it down to such things?

Fact is that some of the DRoners shoot a lot more and have better portfolios than some who don't care. And that some who don't care have much better portfolios than those who do. And, most importantly, whatever the case, none of that has anything to do with anything.

If someone says 1+1=2 they are not wrong because their photos stink and if someone has amazing photos and says 1+1=3 that doesn't mean 1+1=3. You are conflating things that have nothing to do with each other.
If you don't care then why did my personal observation offend you? I believe your conflating things beyond what they are. In the end, I bring things down to the end product, and unfortunately for most droners DR is the least of their problems with their pictures.

Edit: I'd like to add that jrista is considered a droner by most here but the stark difference is that Jon DID make the move to an A7R and Jon DOES shoot photos that are good.(IMHO) However I can't say the same for the likes of many many other droners.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:
Edit: I'd like to add that jrista is considered a droner by most here but the stark difference is that Jon DID make the move to an A7R and Jon DOES shoot photos that are good.(IMHO) However I can't say the same for the likes of many many other droners.

Thanks.

On the original topic of this thread.

I just want to point out that it doesn't matter whether you take good photos or not...the kind of persistent harassment and spite that was going on around here the last couple of weeks (if not longer) is IMO unacceptable. We had a pretty bad time when Mikael was here, and that all boiled to a head (a worse one than we had recently, IIRC). When it did, a LOT of people were on the hook to be banned. That's a pretty sad state of affairs, and we nearly got back to that point. That's just not a good state for any forum to be in.

I think the term "DRone" has, by its use by many members, become a very derogatory term, where previously it didn't have quite the same connotation. I think that's uncalled for. The DR issue is an issue. It may not be an issue for everyone, but it's an issue for many people (not saying a majority of people, but many.) Just because some people don't have an issue with DR shouldn't give them the right to attack everyone who does. Same goes for the other way around...anyone who doesn't have issues with DR shouldn't be attacked by those who want more.

The DR debate is a long standing one here. For over two solid years it's been an issue. I used to be on the side that didn't think it was as big an issue as I do now. The first few landscape photos out of my 5D III that I processed showed an alarming amount of banding noise (as far as I am personally concerned). A couple more months with the camera (particularly for astrophotography purposes, as I HAD to go digging into the utter depths of the RAW files to bring out the detail I wanted) revealed a "quality" of noise that I personally find atrocious. I hoped for a while that it was just me, that I was doing something wrong, I upgraded from LR 4.x o 5.x, etc. Once I started pulling down D800 files and then some A7r files, the differences to my eye, between the 5D III read noise and Exmor read noise were massive. I had to change my opinion. I had to admit I was wrong on a few points in the past.

I've become most-hated member number one for some members on this forum because of my of tack on the DR debate. I never argued Exmor had more...but I did argue it wasn't as meaningful as I now believe it is. People shouldn't be spitefully attacked for such a realization and change of opinion. Even if their work doesn't tickle someone's fancy, that shouldn't be grounds to call them names, belittle their work, deride their skills, or anything like that.

I know I come off as an intense individual, but I have tried very hard to stick to what can be considered fact, science, math, theory. When I have had the opportunity, I have tried to provide physical evidence to back up my claims (not necessarily to prove a point...just to provide evidence.) My attempt to keep things on a scientific/theoretical/factual/evidentiary basis was itself eventually used against me. Apparently, now, theories and math and known facts are all useless and pointless...only the experience of a handful of pros matters, and what a pro says goes.

As far as I am concerned, the DRones vs. anti-DRones is exactly that: people vs. people. The last month or so, it hasn't really had anything to do with hardware or science or evidence. It's had to do with the anti-people being anti-people, about a certain group of people. That's just wrong. OF COURSE that's going to increase tensions. Of course that's going to lead to the opposing side ratcheting it up, and getting personal about things themselves. It's all a mess.

The simple fact of the matter is the DR issue isn't going to go anywhere until Canon makes it go somewhere. To many people, it matters, to some people it matters a LOT. This community is going to have to come to grips with that. It doesn't matter if you agree...there should always be a way to be reasonable about it. Flinging insults, insultingly calling people DRones, constantly being spiteful, etc. isn't the solution.

I don't mind talks about dynamic range, and how it can/should be improved. What I do mind is that it has had a habit of showing up in just about any kind of threads. No matter what they was about in the first place.

Occasional sidesteps, jokes and so forth is ok, but blindsidedly turning (just about) any topic into a matter of dynamic range is not benefiting the forum and its readers. With the lack of hard moderations from mods, it comes down to us to judge if what we post is placed in the correct topic.

Do we want to be a believable source of information, facts and rumours? Then it is up to us to make it worthy of people reading and visiting this site.

Do a search on "Dynamic range" or "DR", and then look at the result and ask yourself "Is that really posted in the right place?"
Too often I have seen I. Flungdung and I. Too sitting in opposite corners of the same sandbox tossing S___ at each others. None has acted their age.

Edit: I didn't censor the alternative wording for fecal matters. That was done by someone else.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Yep... I think you hit it right on the head. What generally fires me up on these things is some goofball making a statement like "Canon needs to improve their IQ" as if there were a problem with Canon IQ in some general sense. If there were any truth in that statement at all it would be evident in every image out there, which it clearly is not. I really doubt that any one could distinguish which images were shot by which system given that they were well produced and presented in a proper blind test.

Most of this DR stuff (not all of it but a great deal of it) is nothing more than hype.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
David Hull said:
neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Yep... I think you hit it right on the head. What generally fires me up on these things is some goofball making a statement like "Canon needs to improve their IQ" as if there were a problem with Canon IQ in some general sense. If there were any truth in that statement at all it would be evident in every image out there, which it clearly is not. I really doubt that any one could distinguish which images were shot by which system given that they were well produced and presented in a proper blind test.

Most of this DR stuff (not all of it but a great deal of it) is nothing more than hype.
Canon does need to improve it's IQ and DR..... but then again, so does Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Hasselbad, Red ....... and with any of these you can safely say that the current crop of cameras is better than those from 5 years ago, and the ones that will be out in 5 years will be better than todays.... and with none of crop or FF cameras is it the major limitation....

Lens choice has more effect on IQ than sensor choice....

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Apparently, now, theories and math and known facts are all useless and pointless...only the experience of a "handful of pros matters, and what a pro says goes. "

They're not pointless but this kind of stuff boils down to whether theory and facts show whether a measurable difference exists and then the next question after that is whether any difference found actually matters, ie is meaningful.

The test of 'do the people demanding this actually seem to be ending up with better pictures when they have it' is trying to find a way to address the meaningful aspect. It isnt perfect, but nor is focussing on measurement alone.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
This is a serious question for those who use this forum to write about and champion for more DR from Canon sensors. Mind you, I have no doubt that your experiments and those tests done by others do indeed show that Canon's sensors do not measure up to the competition in terms of DR. So, I concur, Canon's sensors are not as good when it comes to DR (although this does not mean that Canon's sensors are lower in IQ or "worse" than any others. It just means in one area they are sub-par).

Certainly, when a new camera is discussed or released, pertinent factual information regarding the cameras specs (including DR) would be expected to be discussed.

But why do you come onto canon Rumors and complain? Why do you come onto Canon Rumors to demonstrate the lack of DR in sample photos? Why do you bring up the subject on Canon Rumors in thread after thread? What are you trying to prove? What is the purpose of your complaining, or demonstrating?

Why not take every minute and every word you write and send it to Canon in an email or a letter? Why waste your time debating here on this site - hammering the DR theme over and over again in multiple threads? Why not accept the fact that some folks will defend Canon in all cases. Why not accept the fact that not everyone thinks that DR range is the most important aspect of a sensor? Why not accept the fact that by pointing out Canon's sensor shortcomings, you make people feel more negatively about their photographing experience? Is that the goal - to make people feel less satisfied with the cameras they have spent their hard earned money on?

If you have a BMW and I have a Toyota, would you rub it in my face 10 times every day how my car could be better? Even if I am perfectly happy with my Toyota?

And then you wonder why people are upset with the constant hammering. Please, be smart enough to know that people are tired of the negativity. And smart enough to know that if you really want change, this forum is not the place where your message will reach the decision makers at Canon.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
jrista said:
I don't know if it's assumed that I am the one who starts DR discussions in every thread or not, but for a while it's felt like that's the sentiment. I don't participate in every thread here. I participate in a key few most of the time. Those threads are usually the big ones. The major announcements, the ones that bring up a major third party camera, etc.
As you might notice I didn't use the word "start" or "every" in the quoted passage and neither was my intention, but if you insist there is 165+ postings by you (jrista) that includes the phrase "dynamic range". I don't care much about who starts it, I care much more about who is smart enough to realize that this is not the right time and place to continue.

And to be honest, yes, I have found a way to not be overly disturbed by a lot of the postings about DR - you, and a few others are on my block list. That way I can switch you on and off as I see fit. I'm sure that I miss out on a lot of knowledge that you have this way, but it's a lot easier to scroll through topics without having minor novels to wade through. If you are content with the way you have acted so far, I'm certain that you will continue in the same way. If that means I will read more or less of your future postings is something to ponder.

English might not be my first language, but at least give me the benefit of being at least twice as smart as you expect. Don't read anything into my posts that I haven't insinuated very clearly from the start. If I want you to feel like you are the target, you will know because it says so in clear text.

Upvote 0