DSLR & Mirrorless Camera Sales for April 2015

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
gsealy said:
One good thing is that more people are taking more photographs than ever. Of course this has to do with social media sites and the emergence of the mobile phone camera.

I agree with first part, but I strongly disagree with second part. Around me nobody uses phone cameras to record anything more than price tag or something similar. All of the people I know and while I talk to them about photography or photographic gear have some P&S camera or entry DSLR body with some kit lens, and those that do not - are looking for some sale or large rebate to purchase one. Those that have some sort of social media accounts post occasionally their pictures, but mostly they keep it on their computers for later or print (very rarely).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LukasS said:
Around me nobody uses phone cameras to record anything more than price tag or something similar. ... Those that have some sort of social media accounts post occasionally their pictures, but mostly they keep it on their computers for later or print (very rarely).

I hear that's the norm in places like Mars, the Amish regions in rural Pennsylvania, and other areas where it's difficult to access Facebook. ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
The graph shows that the gap between the two types is decreasing. Do not get confused about overall numbers, it is the relative gap between the two that matters. Obviously there will be some variation in the short term as new models are released, but it is the trends that are important.

Lol. ::)

The last time you discussed this, what mattered most was that dSLRs were trending downward, and mirrorless was trending upwards (and I was 'fooled by the overall market'). Now that you've learned that the upward trend for mirrorless was merely a figment of your imagination (so, who was fooled?), what matters most is the narrowing gap.

As you say, the trends are important – and the trend from 2012 to 2014 is that mirrorless sales are falling.

There's a gap between sales of blank VHS cassettes and blank Betamax cassettes. Now...don't get confused by the overall numbers. It's irrelevant that almost no one is buying blank videocassettes any more. What matters is that Betamax is narrowing the gap. ::) ::)
Overall as a % mirrorless is increasing your WRONG. Only in North America is the trend as you state.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The numbers vary by Geography, so its not simple, and appears to be influenced by the economic situation in the various areas.

In the Americas, DSLR Sales $ in Yen are up 121% over 2014, and Mirrorless up 125.7% and Asia, DSLR sales are up 109.6% while Mirrorless sales dropped to 94% over 2014. In Europe and Japan, both countries which have devalued currency, sales are down sharply. In the Other Areas (India, Australia, Africa??), Both DSLR and Mirrorless sales are up.

The absolutely dismal sales in Japan and Europe are dragging the total down, or we would be seeing a sharp increase.

I'd say that its a matter of prices and economics rather than smart phone influence on purchases..
In the UK (part of Europe) sales are not inline with the rest of Europe and the £ has increased markedly against the Euro since January.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
From a posting on Canon Rumors!

According to The NPD Group, overall mirrorless camera revenue has grown 16.5% over the past 12 months, with DSLR sales declining approximately 15% over the same period. During this time, Sony has experienced a robust 66% boost in their company’s mirrorless camera sales, strengthening their dominant position as the #1 overall mirrorless brand, a position they have held for 4 consecutive years.*1

“Growth in the mirrorless segment shows this new technology and form factor are resonating with consumers,” said Ben Arnold, executive director, The NPD group. “Going forward, mirrorless will continue to command a greater share of the interchangeable lens camera category.”

On top of the sales momentum, InfoTrends’ customer surveys demonstrate how strong innovation in the mirrorless space is continuing to attract a younger and more photo active ILC customer. The latest data shows that over 61% of first time ILC buyers are under the age of 35, up from 54% approximately two years ago. Key motivating factors for their photography include travel and family.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
neuroanatomist said:
... the trend from 2012 to 2014 is that mirrorless sales are falling.
Overall as a % mirrorless is increasing your WRONG. Only in North America is the trend as you state.

I'm referring to CIPA data for global mirrorless ('non-reflex') shipments, on which the graph posted earlier is based:

2012: 3.96m units
2013: 3.30m units
2014: 3.29m units

How am I wrong? If you want to change the metric to something I didn't mention, that's your call – and it's called moving the goalposts. I'd recommend against using data from a for-profit market research firm of which Sony is a paying client and who's information is prominently featured in a Sony press release as 'evidence' but that's also your call.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Now throw up the number for DSLRs your the one being selective.
We use GfK for market data they source data from retailers and the whole photographic market declined through the period youve chosen and they dont need to skew anything for our puposes. They state mirrorless as a % of overall sales is increasing whilst DSLRs in numbers and value decreased. Canon lowered their forecasts in April for 2015 the main reason for that was lower end models like Rebels not the higher end models like the 5D MKIII. Im happy if any part of the market is growing and not recording any falls new camera purchases drive other purchases like bags, tripods, cards, lenses, filters etc.
In the end whether a DSLR or Mirrorless like the Sony A7R they are tools that we use to produce photographs and its the quality of those that counts not the badge or type of camera.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
Now throw up the number for DSLRs your the one being selective.
We use GfK for market data they source data from retailers and the whole photographic market declined through the period youve chosen and they dont need to skew anything for our puposes. They state mirrorless as a % of overall sales is increasing whilst DSLRs in numbers and value decreased. Canon lowered their forecasts in April for 2015 the main reason for that was lower end models like Rebels not the higher end models like the 5D MKIII. Im happy if any part of the market is growing and not recording any falls new camera purchases drive other purchases like bags, tripods, cards, lenses, filters etc.
In the end whether a DSLR or Mirrorless like the Sony A7R they are tools that we use to produce photographs and its the quality of those that counts not the badge or type of camera.

Why is it his burden? You're the one disputing him. If you are claiming DSLR sales are falling faster, then show us the numbers. I'm not claiming otherwise but it's more effective than just saying "Nah uh."

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So, I was not WRONG.

Yes, the ILC market is shrinking. Yes, dSLR sales are falling. But...MILC sales aren't rising, and dSLR sales remain much higher than MILC sales.

Many people have questioned why Canon hasn't jumped into the MILC market with both feet. Some have stated that Canon is doomed because of their lack of a comprehensive mirrorless lineup (of course, many of them point to the imaginary growth of MILC sales). Looking at the actual data, perhaps Canon's strategy makes a bit of sense.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
So, I was not WRONG.

Yes, the ILC market is shrinking. Yes, dSLR sales are falling. But...MILC sales aren't rising, and dSLR sales remain much higher than MILC sales.

Many people have questioned why Canon hasn't jumped into the MILC market with both feet. Some have stated that Canon is doomed because of their lack of a comprehensive mirrorless lineup (of course, many of them point to the imaginary growth of MILC sales). Looking at the actual data, perhaps Canon's strategy makes a bit of sense.

Can you believe I actually looked at real data and statistics? Anyways I see what you see: 2012-2013-2014-first part of 2015 MILC staying about the same.

That must mean MILC is dominating DSLR's and everyone is switching, right? :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
http://www.gfk.com/news-and-events/press-room/press-releases/pages/photo-market-global-first-half-2014.aspx

Over a 6-month period, MILC sales revenues rose 8%, and prices increased by 6%. Mirrorless accounted for 22% of the ILC market.

"Yay - let's make major investments in what is obviously a high growth potential market," Canon didn't say.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Lets see what you have to say at the end of 2015. If people like Jrista are convinced Sony are outperforming Canon and therefor prepared to sell Canon equipment to fund purchasing the Sony A7R II then you should take some notice he really understands the science behind the tool.
At the end of the day whats the really difference in concept? replacing the traditional mirror and optical viewfinder the rest is identical including form factor.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
Lets see what you have to say at the end of 2015. If people like Jrista are convinced Sony are outperforming Canon and therefor prepared to sell Canon equipment to fund purchasing the Sony A7R II then you should take some notice he really understands the science behind the tool.
At the end of the day whats the really difference in concept? replacing the traditional mirror and optical viewfinder the rest is identical including form factor.

Oh, I understand the science just fine – my research has included digital imaging since it existed. How many camera buyers base their decisions on image sensor science? How many are influenced by anything about the sensor other than the top-line spec (i.e., MP count)? I'd wager a tiny minority, and I think you'd be delusional to suggest that Sony's BSI FF sensor will have any meaningful effect on the overall market this year...or the next...or the one after.

Refresh my memory – did jrista say that Sony cameras outperform Canon cameras? Or was he referring to the sensor? The moment people start buying bare silicon sensors to take pictures, please do let me know.

I've got nothing against mirrorless per se...I own and use one. The main advantage is smaller size, an advantage you toss out the window the moment you put an f/2.8 zoom on one, moreso if you need to sandwich an adapter in there to use a lens with a dSLR-compatible flange focal distance.

Upvote 0