Due for a letdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all these dreamy rumored specs floating around on the 5dx (or whatever it's called). Does anyone else get the feeling that with all the build up and hype, that we are all due for a let down in one way or another. Either the specs will not be the wishlist we've created or the price will be much higher than we thought (see 24-70 ii).

I just have a bad feeling like a great movie trailer with this eye popping cgi, that there is no way it can live up to our hopes. CGI will always look CGI-ish and a low end FF will be low end in some way or the price will reflect its superiority.

That said, I want one, and based on the buzz around here, it's got a lot of people foaming at the mouth to get one, too.

Letdowns do I'd say tend to come when hype goes beyond what a manifacturer needs to produce to remain competitive in a market. The 5D mk3/X rumours we've seen recently don't seem to do that to me, if Canon offers too much less than those stats then Nikon is going to have a clear advanatge this generation. The 28 megapixel, 8 FPS rumour seems more like a wishlist to me thats unlikely to be met.

As far as price goes I'd say consumer level DSLR's are a rather different beast to pro bodies and high end lenses, Canon has been happy to charge large amounts for the latter two but has generally tried to offer the best value for the former.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

moreorless said:
As far as price goes I'd say consumer level DSLR's are a rather different beast to pro bodies and high end lenses, Canon has been happy to charge large amounts for the latter two but has generally tried to offer the best value for the former.

Both the 5D and 5D2, when launched, were considered very good value for money. I feel sure that Canon will price the next 5D reasonably, to attract non-Canon users to the brand, thereby increasing sales of lenses, etc. After all, Canon surely makes a lot more money from 5D-series users on lenses than on the body.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Many will finally have to face the real world. The will not get a 1 series body for $2000 like they wish. The only question for me, is will it be worth the $1k more or less difference in price between a MK II and whatever FF camera is announced. The only reason I would replace my MK II is a big high ISO advantage at about the same number of pixels. A few MP more or less doesn't matter, but a 40MP body with no high ISO improvement wouldn't help my low light photography, even though many would love to see one, and I can understand that.

We should hear more certain specs in the next week or two.

+1 to the lens sales.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Many will finally have to face the real world. The will not get a 1 series body for $2000 like they wish. The only question for me, is will it be worth the $1k more or less difference in price between a MK II and whatever FF camera is announced. The only reason I would replace my MK II is a big high ISO advantage at about the same number of pixels. A few MP more or less doesn't matter, but a 40MP body with no high ISO improvement wouldn't help my low light photography, even though many would love to see one, and I can understand that.

We should hear more certain specs in the next week or two.

+1 to the lens sales.

Indeed true....

Upvote 0
If you are "let down" or disappointed, it is entirely of your own making.

Canon has obviously gone out of their way to tell you nothing. They have established exactly zero expectations.

While it can be fun to speculate about where technology may go and what the marketing satans may do, there is no genuine basis for any reasonable expectation.

For me, if Canon announces a new product at any time in the future, I'll judge it for what it is and act according to my needs for what I consider photographic excellence.

Meanwhile, I'm out every day taking pictures and enjoying it.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
If you are "let down" or disappointed, it is entirely of your own making.

Canon has obviously gone out of their way to tell you nothing. They have established exactly zero expectations.

While it can be fun to speculate about where technology may go and what the marketing satans may do, there is no genuine basis for any reasonable expectation.

For me, if Canon announces a new product at any time in the future, I'll judge it for what it is and act according to my needs for what I consider photographic excellence.

Meanwhile, I'm out every day taking pictures and enjoying it.

I agree, I just wonder how many people on here are not harnessing their imaginations a bit. I don't think LEADERS in markets need to discount anything. This might be the most expensive 5d price point at release to date. Just a warning, we may all be distraught by the price. I'm purely guessing, but I would think it would be $3,500 to start out if it is the commonly rumored 22mp, 7fps, 61pt AF system.

Upvote 0
I have a gut feeling that Canon isn't going to pull out all the stops and is going to let people down on the AF side of things. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't see the 1Dx or even the 1D MkIV AF system in a 5D body. Maybe something similar to the 7D, but not something out of a 1D - series.

On the other hand if they don't implement a pro AF-system, Nikon will have the upper hand, but it's been the situation so far and Canon seems to be doing quite well still. Although now Nikon has upped the game by bringing out high Mp and video, so maybe Canon will have to answer to the call and put pro AF-system in the new body.

I'd also expect the difference between 1Dx and the new body to be greater than 18Mp - 22Mp, 61 point AF - 61 point AF and 12fps - 7-8fps.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am sure some people will be in for a letdown because I've read some pretty outlandish expectations on this forum.

Based on the specs that are being rumored, I expect we'll see a 22mp camera with a very nice autofocus system priced at around $3,000. Some modest improvements in high ISO noise but not at the level of the 1Dx. As a bonus, it may have some modest weathersealing, similar to the current 7D and maybe a new accessory battery grip with an extra control wheel.

I don't think reasonable people will be disappointed with that. But, for those who want a baby 1Dx for the price of a 7D, they will likely be all over this forum the day the camera is announced, complaining how Canon doesn't care about them and they are going to go buy a Nikon.

Upvote 0
stilscream said:
With all these dreamy rumored specs floating around on the 5dx (or whatever it's called). Does anyone else get the feeling that with all the build up and hype, that we are all due for a let down in one way or another.
Aah, the joy of rumors...first the anticipation, then the anticipation for the letdown, then the gleeful purchase, and finally the shooting (which turns out to be a lot like the photography we've always done, but now with a few more features). :)

Upvote 0
With all the wild rumors going around lately some of it will surely be true. If anything, simply because they cover the entire spectrum between the current model and a mega model D800/1Dx hybrid.
Personally, I don't care to speculate since the only thing that seems clear to me is that Canon is more unpredictable nowadays than before. A year ago, for the 5D, I would have wagered on moderate to high MP boost and small incremental upgrades to everything else. But now, after seeing the 1DX that is not a classical Canon 1 series, I think that we have no basis to assume anything regarding the other models.

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

There will be let downs, there will be cheerful gasps, what ever option Canon take - unless they release 3 FF bodies, 1 APS-C body and an APS-H body ???

I'm in a position where i can sit back and work wit what i've got comfortably, but would like a couple of things improved (AF and Dual CF slot). And that BG with dual controls is very nice as well - but i wonder if they could do that for a 5D2 and 7D as well?

Upvote 0
I don't much care for rumours, but what does have me thinking, is that if the Nikon D4 is signifcantly better than the 1DX once both are out there being used, then the price gap makes it feasible to dump some of my Canon glass and buy Nikon glass without losing a ton of cash. The 1DX has got to be better to justify the pre-release price poin it's being pitched at.

Upvote 0
stilscream said:
distant.star said:
I agree, I just wonder how many people on here are not harnessing their imaginations a bit. I don't think LEADERS in markets need to discount anything. This might be the most expensive 5d price point at release to date. Just a warning, we may all be distraught by the price. I'm purely guessing, but I would think it would be $3,500 to start out if it is the commonly rumored 22mp, 7fps, 61pt AF system.

Damn, I hate being right all the time!

Upvote 0
I dont think that we are due for a letdown. These specs that CRguy has been posting have been pretty much all in the same ball park. What was posted last night as CR3 has been around for a couple of weeks now and have come from many many sources. Also, when CR makes a CR3, it's pretty serious!

To recap: last night we got CR3 for the new 5D model and CR3 for the new speedlight 590EX.

Upvote 0
BlueMixWhite said:
Even if it's a let down, i would say canon still have its advantages from their lens system. Try and compare with Nikon lenses, you will find that varities is low and the pricing it much higher. I guess if the spec od the new 5Dx is lower as compared to D800, you may also find it hard to switch if you look at the whole big picture.

Agree that canon still has a few more unique lenses. None I consider essential for me though. I think Nikon's system is well stocked, and more importantly, continue to fill in gaps specially before the thai flood wrecked everybody's roadmap. Newer canon lenses such as the 24-70 and 70-200 have all been more expensive than their nikon twins. For me, they got all I'd need and a few lenses I wish I had in canon version so I don't feel held back at all by their lineup. The real reason I don't switch is because of the hassle and because I don't honestly care for what brand I advertise for free on my camera gear ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.