Education advice.

Pookie said:
Honestly, a fine arts degree will only cost you money/time and once out in the business world you're going to find that you'll either have to get extremely lucky or intern with a professional to get real world experience.

There are different strands of fine art degrees, some are purely expressive, some incorporate craft and technical discipline.

I participated vociferously in a recent thread about Martin Parr which led on to a debate about qualifying art by any other yardstick... it's like finding another word that means love.

I think a lot of folk just don't get this. And I think you are one. There are unscrupulous institutions who will patronise the thick children of rich parents to keep them busy for a few years, but there are art schools who hand pick their students on talent, on potential, on ideas, kids who will be a credit to the institution and a credit to themselves. You could not write a blank cheque to gain entry to these kind of places. You have to have something more valuable... talent.

Pookie said:
I did a vigorous education route but in science.

You don't have any direct personal of experience of what you are telling the poster not to do then?
Maybe their aspirations, aptitudes or abilities are different from yours? It's not a one size fits all...

Pookie said:
I did it as a hobby for a year or two, then as a second shooter for a few wedding photographers, then freelance...

vs

Pookie said:
Go to Costco, buy a DSLR, hang a plaque on your garage and get a website with "your name + photography".

I'm going to be honest.. I don't see a huge amount of difference between hobbyists who go pro and soccer moms who go pro. I also turned a hobby into a job (video) but that was after 2 years college (college in the UK means technical college, it's a more vocational style of learning) already being a post-graduate... ok ok a BA.. the lesson is pick your course... after finishing the technical course with the class prize I worked at a University for four years getting my software badges etc, then worked for a newspaper for 7 years, doing broadcast adverts and tv show inserts amongst many other things before I considered myself able to go freelance (in terms of problem solving, in terms of self-sufficiency, in terms of approaching business properly, in terms of getting good enough)

When it comes to soccer moms (what patronising BS) if I were to list my favourite 10 photographers more than half would be women (Vivian Maeir, Jill Furmanovsky, Annie Leibowitz, Lee Miller for kick offs) and although some would be art school grads, my most favourite of all, Vivian Maeir, had a talent that just cannot be taught. Of course she was neither a commercial success or critical success in her lifetime, but thats down to the other side perhaps, the confidence side.. and that is where art school excels when nuturing genuine talent.

Vivian Maeir was essentially an amateur with a camera, not even a Mom, just a nanny, and without your 'vigourous education route' or an arts degree.

I don't think anybody who has no experience of an artistic education, of mentored development, of barriers removed, of free thought explored of the unique pressure of a degree show, has any right to tell anybody not to do it.

If the OP lived in the UK I would tell them where gets a good rep, where friends have graduated from and made a success of it, or places to avoid (including where I worked, by the way) but I wouldn't say 'deprive yourself that opportunity, because you can second shoot on a few weddings and bang, you are there'.

Every day. Art school can create a lot of pretentious snobs, but it can also inspire a lot of disingenuous inverted snobbery.

Upvote 0
Sadly, most of what's here I characterize as confetti comments -- blizzards of shredded irrelevance.

The OP asked specifically about online training. He did not ask for a discussion of the merits of art schools, a career in the arts, job prospects, internships, personal biographies, etc.

Seems he's been given precious little of what he asked for. This thread originated over a month ago, and I've often wondered since how the OP made out -- what's he's done, if anything. At this point I have to guess perhaps he's done more research and can provide a good answer to his own question -- for all of us.

I see his question as a very useful one. There are many, many online learning options, but most are not structured as any kind of curriculum since they are aimed at amateurs and enthusiasts looking mostly for specific knowledge to improve overall results for personal satisfaction. Anything with a true "program" seems targeted toward a degree or certification, and they charge accordingly (more than most amateurs/enthusiasts are willing to pay) as they can qualify for educational grants, loans, etc., and that's what sustains them.

I suggested an artist/photographer he might ask for assistance as steering toward a mentorship. A good mentor could provide the structure and the impetus for discipline. It's not an online program per se, but it might use those as a basis with the mentor leading the way.

As tremendously useful as much of the Web stuff is, it does not impose the structure and discipline the OP mentioned. Just as often it leaves you yearning for more -- with no idea where to go. Maybe there are such options on the Web, but I haven't seen them; apparently the OP has not either. So, I suppose I'll ask his question again -- does anyone know anything like that?

If not, it seems there may be an opportunity for one of the training companies (Kelby, Lynda, etc.) to develop a structured enthusiast-level training program or programs.

Upvote 0