EF 800mm f/5.6L IS II [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
ddashti said:
Why bother with a new 800mm if there's not much to improve at the moment?

Simple, the 800mm was something Canon has that Nikon did not. Now Nikon has a better one that sells for $18K, so Canon wants to pass it, pricewise anyway.
20k for a 800mm IS II? I'd be willing to pay that amount for a 1000mm f/5.6 IS that weighed 4.5kg, more than 4-stops of IS and minimum focusing distance of 6 meters/20 feet. :)

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
I'll also add that the 4 stop IS is a big improvement. Many people still don't like to use IS but I can tell you when using the 600mm on a windy day, the IS stops the wind shakes 100%. Just takes the wind effect out completely. The IS on the MK1 lenses was pretty good at it as well but the new generation IS is WAY better.

I love IS, but aren't telephotos usually used with some other form of stabilization, e.g. a tripod?

[I rarely use focal lengths over 200mm, when I do it's usually 200mm f/2.8 IS with a TC. I don't like shooting sports, and don't have the time & patience for birds photogaphy.]

Upvote 0
Ellen Schmidtee said:
I love IS, but aren't telephotos usually used with some other form of stabilization, e.g. a tripod?

True, but the longer you go, the more even the slightest movement is magnified.

The IS mode III is very good for sports (and I would presume birds), though not too many people will be using the 800 for sports!

Upvote 0
Ah yes I forgot to mention that I use the 600 on a tripod with a gimbal head. However when you are out with wind that can blow your hat off, the IS will stabilize the effects of wind mounted on a tripod. There was one instance I did not have time to get it up on the tripod. I had pulled into my shooting location and had a bald eagle right by the parking lot eating a fish. So windy when I got out my hat blew down the parking lot. I switch on IS and painfully hand held the 600 for a series of shots and it was as if there wasn't any wind at all.

I later drove to the other end of the lot and got my hat...

IS has its uses and benefits but can also cause some issues in certain shooting conditions.

Ellen Schmidtee said:
East Wind Photography said:
I'll also add that the 4 stop IS is a big improvement. Many people still don't like to use IS but I can tell you when using the 600mm on a windy day, the IS stops the wind shakes 100%. Just takes the wind effect out completely. The IS on the MK1 lenses was pretty good at it as well but the new generation IS is WAY better.

[I rarely use focal lengths over 200mm, when I do it's usually 200mm f/2.8 IS with a TC. I don't like shooting sports, and don't have the time & patience for birds photogaphy.]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.