Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13649"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13649">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>New EOS-M Wide Angle Lens

</strong>DCI is reporting that they have been told a new EF-M lens is just around the corner. A new wide angle 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.</p>
<p>We’ve heard 3 new EF-M lenses are coming in 2013, and this looks to be a good bet to happen. The system is lacking a true wide angle lens, along with many other things.</p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://digicame-info.com/2013/06/ef-m11-22mm-f4-56-is-stm.html" target="_blank">DCI</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Oct 18, 2011
miejoe said:
Did anyone else raise an eyebrow at the "IS" in that lens name?

I didn't think people really needed to handhold 1-second exposures at 11mm, but I suppose the technology does help sell lenses to novices.
Imagine being able to drag shutter for water shots (maybe 1/5 to 1/2s) without a tripod...for someone already considering the EOS-M line, that's another few pounds saved.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
preppyak said:
miejoe said:

I didn't think people really needed to handhold 1-second exposures at 11mm, but I suppose the technology does help sell lenses to novices.
Imagine being able to drag shutter for water shots (maybe 1/5 to 1/2s) without a tripod...for someone already considering the EOS-M line, that's another few pounds saved.

+1. I'd choose a larger max aperture over IS, but I'm sure it will come in handy for the target audience.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
miejoe said:

It will be extremely useful for shooting interior architecture and night scenery. You can even use smaller aperture to get more depth of field.

Upvote 0
If it's smaller, lighter, and has similar IQ to the EF-S 10-22 I actually wouldn't mind... That would also mean having a super portable UWA setup in tight spaces much more possible, for example... video on a jib moving in tight spaces between objects, or those shots when people open up a box or bag and the angle is coming from the inside. ;) When you do photo or video work in tightly spaced venues it makes a lot of sense. It opens up a lot of creative possibilities, and is generally more flexible in terms of practical features compared to let's say... a gopro. The portability is already awesome for backup (with adapter) and vacation use. It also means you can carry lighter tripods and etc. Eliminating the need for the adapter in different ranges makes it even lighter and smaller.

Upvote 0
Harry Muff said:
How many people have an 'M'? I mean there isn't even a section in the gallery for it.

Just seems like they are making a new lens for a camera that has flopped hard.

It's a first gen product. I'd reserve judgement until after seeing how the second gen performs.

I saw prices near 400 a while ago (haven't checked recently). For that price, I'd prefer it with the 22mm and the adaptor to something like the S100 for small walkaround setup.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Harry Muff said:
How many people have an 'M'? I mean there isn't even a section in the gallery for it.

Just seems like they are making a new lens for a camera that has flopped hard.

I have one, and am looking forward to any new lenses they come up with for this system.

As for wide angle, I've been eyeing the 16-35 for my 6D and thus would pass on this if it came to fruition.

What I'm hoping for is a fast prime (how about a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 EF-M?)...

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
I have a M and it's bloody marvellous ! With the 22mm pancake, it's light for hill walking, pictures from it are great, it looks like a cheap compact to a hit and run thief... And importantly, gets the important capture of your life when the FF + f2.8 is just too heavy or big or expensive looking to carry along.

If you don't like the M, fine, manhandle your DSLR ;-)

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
miejoe said:

Not really. IS would be nice for video.

CanNotYet said:
My concern for the new lenses are size and weight.
More pancake lenses!

Yes. EF-M 11mm f/4 STM pancake would be great.

Upvote 0
This one is really interesting FOR ME:
* I don't like UWA to much but they are helpful occasionally
* if the lower max aperture helps to keep that thing very small (compared to just a 10-22 EF-S) it might be a good all round camera (@22mm) with UWA capability)
* the IS helps to shoot at equivalent light conditions compared to the EF-M 22 2.0 - so there is no need for that lens (except you need bokeh)
* if the lower max aperture keeps the thing at lower cost and reduces flare by reducing the number of lens groups and leads to a very high quality (straight to the edges) - it would be a good trade off

Just the right EOS-M body is missing - sth. with a higher count of images per battery charge (500 or so) and a viewfinder for bright environmental conditions/video!

Upvote 0
Is Canon even aware of some of the great sharp fast lenses around for Micro Four Thirds? This lens is really slow. Canon just does't seem up to the challenge. This camera is a bad investment. It will be gone in a year or two. With the presumed death of compact cameras Canon will start to lose revenue. a business plan of doubling the price of all of their new cameras lenses does not seem to be a good long term plan

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
Canon Rumors said:
The system is lacking a true wide angle lens, along with many other things.
The main thing that is lacking is a true will to make a serious mirrorless camera, in order to compete with Fuji and Sony.
Even as a some pros are switching to m4/3 and DX mirrorless Canon still sees mirrorless as a Hello Kitty market.

Dear Canon, just give us a full frame body and consider the competition smashed.
The only Full Frame Mirrorless that makes any sense is the Sony a99. It uses ALL their a-mount lenses. Do you want a mirrorless Canon DSLR with an EVF that uses EF lenses ???

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.