EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Announcement Soon? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
c.d.embrey said:
The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a f/3.5-4.5 lens. Here is the size/weight; 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g. It uses a 77mm filter. This is a BIG lens!

How much smaller will a 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM be ??? I doubt that the camera/lens combo will fit in a pocket.

Seems to me a small/light f/2.0 11mm prime would be a better choice.

rumor says 55mm filter size… small enough for you?

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
c.d.embrey said:
Ricku said:
Canon Rumors said:
The system is lacking a true wide angle lens, along with many other things.
The main thing that is lacking is a true will to make a serious mirrorless camera, in order to compete with Fuji and Sony.
Even as a some pros are switching to m4/3 and DX mirrorless Canon still sees mirrorless as a Hello Kitty market.

Dear Canon, just give us a full frame body and consider the competition smashed.
The only Full Frame Mirrorless that makes any sense is the Sony a99. It uses ALL their a-mount lenses. Do you want a mirrorless Canon DSLR with an EVF that uses EF lenses ???

I just want the smallest and lightest full frame camera, in other words mirrorless.

And besides, in a mirrorless camera there is no mirror slap, causing vibration. This has a number of advantages as the photographic workflow will be a lot more seamless/uniform, as one doesn't have to place the camera in a 'mirror lockup' mode in certain shooting scenarios to eliminate the mirror slap.

And about the EVF, I don't really care how bad it is. I'll be shooting with live view anyway.

I dont care about AF speed or FPS either. Don't need that for my kind of work. :)

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a f/3.5-4.5 lens. Here is the size/weight; 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g. It uses a 77mm filter. This is a BIG lens!

How much smaller will a 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM be ??? I doubt that the camera/lens combo will fit in a pocket.

Potentially quite a bit smaller. You aren't comparing apples to apples here. The EF-M format has a MUCH shorter flange focal distance vs. EF/EF-S (18mm vs. 44mm). This allows for alot of opportunity for space savings in the lens.

I'd expect it's physical size will be a good amount shorter then the EF-S 10-22.

TTYL

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
c.d.embrey said:
Dear Canon, just give us a full frame body and consider the competition smashed.
The only Full Frame Mirrorless that makes any sense is the Sony a99. It uses ALL their a-mount lenses. Do you want a mirrorless Canon DSLR with an EVF that uses EF lenses ???

I just want the smallest and lightest full frame camera, in other words mirrorless.

And besides, in a mirrorless camera there is no mirror slap, causing vibration. This has a number of advantages as the photographic workflow will be a lot more seamless/uniform, as one doesn't have to place the camera in a 'mirror lockup' mode in certain shooting scenarios to eliminate the mirror slap.

And about the EVF, I don't really care how bad it is. I'll be shooting with live view anyway.

I dont care about AF speed or FPS either. Don't need that for my kind of work. :)

Cameras are just tools, buy what best suits your needs. Maybe it's time to sell your Canon gear and buy a Sony a99 and some of their high quality Zeiss lenses.

BTW EVF is the future.
Here's a Quote from Kirk Tuck (an Austin Tx commercial shooter who used to use Canon): "All cameras are good these days. I don't care about brands but I know that for my paying work I'll never willingly go back to a camera that doesn't have an EVF as an integral part of the design. Now, after selling off other systems, every camera I have except the Sony a850 is equipped with an EVF. And when I pick up the 850 I have to slow down and think more about operation. That means I think less about the image. I like the real time feedback of the newer finders. They make the feedback loop much more effective." Emphasis mine. Quote is from the next to last paragraph http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2013/05/another-day-at-photo-office-working.html

Upvote 0
Haydn1971 said:
I have a M and it's bloody marvellous ! With the 22mm pancake, it's light for hill walking, pictures from it are great, it looks like a cheap compact to a hit and run thief... And importantly, gets the important capture of your life when the FF + f2.8 is just too heavy or big or expensive looking to carry along.

+1

Upvote 0
hgraf said:
c.d.embrey said:

Potentially quite a bit smaller. You aren't comparing apples to apples here. The EF-M format has a MUCH shorter flange focal distance vs. EF/EF-S (18mm vs. 44mm). This allows for alot of opportunity for space savings in the lens.

I'd expect it's physical size will be a good amount shorter then the EF-S 10-22.

TTYL

My guess is 2.8" vs 3.3' and 9 Oz vs 13.6 Oz. Still too big for a pocket camera.

My point is that I'd rather have a f/2 11mm and a f/2 22mm lens combo than a zoom. I've ownen a EF-S f/3.5-4.5 10-22mm since 2006, and I seldom use anything except 10mm and 22mm. And I've always wanter the lens to be a constant f/2.8, but that would make the lens even bigger :(

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
joshlsmithphoto said:
I agree with @ecka... IS (nowadays) is more of a feature for amateur video more so than still photos. I wouldn't take serious landscape or architectural photos hand holding my camera at 1/15s, although just having that ability helps.
There a lot of churches, buildings will not allow either tripod or monopod. therefore you have to hand hold the camera. You will want IS in that situation.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Rocky said:
joshlsmithphoto said:
I agree with @ecka... IS (nowadays) is more of a feature for amateur video more so than still photos. I wouldn't take serious landscape or architectural photos hand holding my camera at 1/15s, although just having that ability helps.
There a lot of churches, buildings will not allow either tripod or monopod. therefore you have to hand hold the camera. You will want IS in that situation.

You don't really need a tripod for mirrorless cameras with small lenses. Half-decent gorillapod should be OK.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

Harry Muff said:
How many people have an 'M'? I mean there isn't even a section in the gallery for it.

Just seems like they are making a new lens for a camera that has flopped hard.
Hmm, I'm not sure how hard it has flopped. But let's see in a year when they have launched more lenses and another body. I've said it before and I think it does apply here, these big companies take their time to get it right. Many complaines about this camera haven't even tried it. It's not bad at all. With this lens I would really contemplate getting the M as a wide package instead of getting the 16-35 to my 5D3. Keep in mind that I'm an amateur though.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
ecka said:
Rocky said:
joshlsmithphoto said:

You don't really need a tripod for mirrorless cameras with small lenses. Half-decent gorillapod should be OK.
I would like to see you use a gorillapod inside Ventican or Versaille

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Rocky said:
ecka said:
Rocky said:
joshlsmithphoto said:

:) me too.
However, that's not my point. There is a bigger chance to use gorillapod in such places, than tripod. Don't you agree?

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
ecka said:
Rocky said:
ecka said:
Rocky said:
joshlsmithphoto said:

:) me too.
However, that's not my point. There is a bigger chance to use gorillapod in such places, than tripod. Don't you agree?
With IS you may not need either one of them The whole idea of mirrorless is to travel light ( both in weight and bulk). With a"decent gorrillapod" ( read it as larger) that defeat the purpose. With IS on an EOS-M, you can hand hold the camera inside the building within reason. If there is enough light, you can even use a smaller aperture to give you more depth of field. Therefore this lens is good for still photography.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.