Ended: Your favourite new Canon camera of 2018

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I voted for the R as I consider this camera to be an all important stepping stone for Canon. It shows the potential of what could eventually become my next Canon digital ILC system. I am very happy with my 5D MK IV cameras but certainly could use F2.0 aperture 28-70 lens and completely silent shutter when and if available along with -6EV AF sensitivity and excellent AF system...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I voted for the R as I consider this camera to be an all important stepping stone for Canon. It shows the potential of what could eventually become my next Canon digital ILC system. I am very happy with my 5D MK IV cameras but certainly could use F2.0 aperture 28-70 lens and completely silent shutter when and if available along with -6EV AF sensitivity and excellent AF system...
The silent shutter is a really big thing for wildlife photography, particularly when coupled with a remote trigger. I am not ready to jump to the R series yet, but that is certainly one of the reasons why I would migrate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I’m not voting, as none of these cameras managed to tempt me to part with my money this year. Perhaps it would have been better to phrase the question as “Which Canon camera(s) did you buy in 2018?” That’s all that really matters.

Of course, this being the internet, the results and this forum topic would still be full of idiots claiming they own something that they don’t, just because they get a kick out of winding other people up...
Thanks for your extremely helpful and courteous contribution...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Of course, this being the internet, the results and this forum topic would still be full of idiots claiming they own something that they don’t, just because they get a kick out of winding other people up...
On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
Twelve nifty fifty’s,
Eleven macros stacking
Ten tilt shifts tilting
Nine Zooms a zooming
Eight flashes flashing
Seven Batteries charging
Six wide angles angling
Five golden *R”S............
Four tiny “M”S
Three pelican cases
Two super telephoto
And a cat climbing up a pear tree.....

(If I’m going to be an idiot, I may as well be a big one and enjoy it)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
A bit tricky this year to vote.
Normally you bought the lens or camera or wanted to buy it. There is a four way split now in cameras and a lot of us are in one category only. Very hard for me to want an Eos-R lens without first desiring the camera available.
The general feedback from EOs-R appears to be good but not too many are going beyond that level of praise.
It’s the camera of they Year. I hope 2019 gives us something better.
The 28-70 F2 Eos-R seems to be well liked. It may be a great lens but I’ve always found 28mm an annoying starting focal length. 24mm is much more useful for wider shots.
Canon have certainly got the Eos-R lens off to a good start. For someone heavily invested in EF lens and cameras I’m not sure I would be rushing to buy them when I do go mirrorless. The EF cameras are robust and last for years. EF lens are more flexible if you are running mirrored and mirrorless.
I hope 2019 Eos-R cameras will give a compelling reason to jump to mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I hope Canon JUMPS on the opportunity to really crush the competition with RF lenses, some new fun ones like a 100 f1.4, 135 f1.8 etc joining the epic IQ of the RF50. And a telezoom at f2 perhaps?

They’re off to a convincing start and i dont think this was it for the superb lenses.

And for all the wanters users of the EF 24 f1.4, I hope you’ll get a sick RF version really soon, I feel for you:p

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I didn't buy any of them. Were I to replace my G7X II with something bigger, I'd go for the M50 for travel, but I prefer to keep something pocketable. If I buy a camera in 2019, it will almost for sure be the G7X III. I have looked through an M50 in the store, and it felt fine. I've heard good things about it from those who use one.

Upvote 0