Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>A few things about the 60D

<span style="font-weight: normal;">- I’m told that the 60D will NOT be a magnesium body. This would definitely separate it from the 7D.

</span></strong><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">- The body of the 60D is also slightly smaller than the 50D, but will have a larger grip area.

- The camera will cost $200-$300 more than the T2i</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">An all plastic body puts it inline to compete with the Nikon D90 segment directly. Though I’ve read rumors the D90 replacement WILL have a magnesium body.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">CR2 stuff here.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<p><strong>

</strong></p>

Just get the 50D if you like the old style body. Bear in mind the 50D is towards end of life (marketing perspective, not operationally of course!) it is quite low price now. Never mind trying to give it a category. Does it do the job you want at the right price? As long as it is priced right I don't care if it is plastic or whatever. The question I'd have is whatever other new stuff they put in it better be good to make it worthwhile going over the 50D for it. Think it'll take more than a tilt screen for that!

Upvote 0
afrank99 said:
Peerke said:
So, it will be plastic :mad:. What would $200 - $300 bring me extra compared to T2i besides an articulating screen? I hope it is not only better video, because a lot of people always claim that video on DSLR makes things cheaper.

Better (faster) AF, faster FPS, Control wheel, CF slot, ...

Top LCD (maybe?) and bigger viewfinder also. And probably microadjust.

Upvote 0
T

trentchau

yitzy said:
lol said:
Never mind trying to give it a category. Does it do the job you want at the right price? As long as it is priced right I don't care if it is plastic or whatever.
Plastic vs Metal isn't only 'giving it a category'!

A pro photographer can't and won't use a plastic body!!
A.its not comfortable, and B. it just won't last!

A professional photographer will use what ever camera he can get to get the shot. I know plenty of pro's who do shoot with a Mark IV/IIIDs who have sold great photos shot with a T1i while on vacation.

I can understand people wanting their work horse camera being metal, but to say a pro WON'T use a plastic body is kinda B.S.

Upvote 0
S

stark-arts

I think the whole metal vs. plastic thing is over done as well. Glocks are made of "plastic" - doesn't seem to hurt anything. If the seals are there then the camera will be just as weather sealed as a mag alloy body. The advantages will be lighter weight and less cost.

I had hoped for mag alloy but don't think it's a make or break option. I need a back up for my 5DII and will probably pick this up over the T2I since I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

once this camera gets down to 1000 ish it shoudl be a super star....

Upvote 0
R

Richard

Due to the falling value of the US dollar relative to the Yen, to keep pricing like the 40D and 50D, Canon must adopt cheaper production cost such as plastic bodies.

This is the 5 year trend of the USD vs. Yen

http://www.forecast-chart.com/usd-japanese-yen.html

When the 40D and 50D were introduced in September 2007 and 2008, the yen 100+ per dollar. Today, it is ~80 yen per dollar, a 20%+ decrease in the value of the USD. The forecast I've seen do not suggest it will reach the 100+ yen/dollar level any time soon. Its easy to blame Canon if they go with plastic bodies, but they have to do what they have to do given its produced entirely in Asia.

Upvote 0
M

MadButcher

I want to look futher in the future.
I think a pair of glasses that would perform as a wireless viewfinder for a photo-/video-camera would be great.
No articulating screen needed.
But always able to see what the camera's sees (offcourse with a switch button).
This would give even more creativity than a articulating screen.
And no need to turn the screen.

Upvote 0
MadButcher said:
I want to look futher in the future.
I think a pair of glasses that would perform as a wireless viewfinder for a photo-/video-camera would be great.
No articulating screen needed.
But always able to see what the camera's sees (offcourse with a switch button).
This would give even more creativity than a articulating screen.
And no need to turn the screen.

Why not build it yourself?
It's all there: LiveView, Video-out, wireless video transmitters, LCD glasses.

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

Plastic is okay per se. If it's anywhere near as flimsy as the T2i, or if the shutter sounds as horribly bad, I may be switching to Nikon. I don't want a 7D, too much money since I don't need its features, but I won't "upgrade" to a flimsy plastic 60D. If they try to essentially "force" me into a 7D price point, then buh-bye Canon! I hope they're listening.

I love my 50D. It's almost a relief to figure I probably won't be hankering for something new. But I also won't be getting any new lenses if they're going in the plastic fantastic direction. I don't see investing in a technology that I can't grow.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.