EOS 60D Notes [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
CameraAddict said:
Looking at the pictures of the presumed 60D, the scratches near the flash popup button seem to show metal beneath.

Also, to those who say that Canon will have to make the move to plastic because of the Yen versus dollar: That doesn't explain why Nikon's D95 will be magnesium!

I suspect the plastic body CR2 is bogus... How's that!
Would be cool! But the "scratches" near the flash popup button is the 60D (probably) sign from the side... ;)

Upvote 0
M

mushin

Just want to point out not all plastics are the same. There are *significant* differences between cheap plastics and the high quality stuff. We tend to associate plastic with cheap, since most consumer goods use cheap plastics to keep costs down, but some of the better plastics have quite impressive performance characteristics. Of course I don't know what Canon will use here - cost is obviously a factor - but the fact that they chose to go with plastic in itself shouldn't be a big deal.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
stark-arts said:
I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

Well, Nikon's D90/D5000 seems to have a 'better' imaging sensor than the D300 only because they resort to in-camera RAW NR which is easy to implement in slower (lower fps) cameras. BUT the NEWER D300s sensor is still very much like the D300. :)

Upvote 0
P

pgabor

Woody said:
Many people like the reduced weight of the Rebel bodies but complain about the small grip.

Now, Canon is releasing a relatively lightweight (hopefully) body with substantial grip, clearly taking a leaf from Nikon's wildly popular D90. And people are still whining.

??? ??? :eek:

People are always whining, just not always the same people.

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

I'm kinda bummed about the plastic (if it is true). I know it doesn't affect the quality of the photos, but it does affect the quality of my camera...after I drop it :( Now, if they make it out of the same plastic as a Glock, I will take that back ;)

Now if they made a plastic body FF camera for say, under $2k, you might be able to get me to switch to a plastic body...just sayin' :)

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Magnesium body sound good, in theory. I am wondering how many people have the shutter release button fail in the X0D before the magnesium body fail. I am one of them. On the other hand, I am also wondering how many people have the shutter release button fail before the plastic body fail. For me, the form factor and ergonomics of the body is more important than the material of the body. It cost $250 to replace the shutter release button.

Upvote 0
S

stark-arts

Woody said:
stark-arts said:
I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

Well, Nikon's D90/D5000 seems to have a 'better' imaging sensor than the D300 only because they resort to in-camera RAW NR which is easy to implement in slower (lower fps) cameras. BUT the NEWER D300s sensor is still very much like the D300. :)

I understand your point but if you look at the evolution from the D3 to d700 to d3s they definitely got more and more bang for the buck out of the same sensor. I only said 12 - i didn't say which one :p

And the d300s is slightly better than the others... cleaner i mean.

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

Alph said:
My take is that the addition of the swivel screen made them rethink the materials. The camera could get heavy with all the metal required to make the screen mechanism.

Either way, for me, feature set and IQ matter more than materials: plastics are truly amazing stuff these days.

Cheers

(Hmm, that last sentence made me sound old... oh well)

+1

If they bring this camera in at $1000-$1100 and it has exciting new features and improved IQ, then that is probably the right move to go plastic. After all, there is the 7D with the features more of interest to a semi-pro or pro. And quality plastic is tough enough for the weekend prosumer, right?

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

Richard said:
Due to the falling value of the US dollar relative to the Yen, to keep pricing like the 40D and 50D, Canon must adopt cheaper production cost such as plastic bodies.

This is the 5 year trend of the USD vs. Yen

http://www.forecast-chart.com/usd-japanese-yen.html

When the 40D and 50D were introduced in September 2007 and 2008, the yen 100+ per dollar. Today, it is ~80 yen per dollar, a 20%+ decrease in the value of the USD. The forecast I've seen do not suggest it will reach the 100+ yen/dollar level any time soon. Its easy to blame Canon if they go with plastic bodies, but they have to do what they have to do given its produced entirely in Asia.

Let's make them over here.... we need employment. They make Honda and Toyota over here, right?

Upvote 0
R

rrcphoto

Canon Rumors said:
I’m told that the 60D will NOT be a magnesium body. This would definitely separate it from the 7D.

If that was the only thing that was said .. or whispered .. then it does not preclude a full metal chassis, simply not mag alloy.

so the construction could be similar for instance to the EOS-3 level of durability - which I don't think any would complain.

Upvote 0
R

Richard

chrome_dude said:
Richard said:
Due to the falling value of the US dollar relative to the Yen, to keep pricing like the 40D and 50D, Canon must adopt cheaper production cost such as plastic bodies.

This is the 5 year trend of the USD vs. Yen

http://www.forecast-chart.com/usd-japanese-yen.html

When the 40D and 50D were introduced in September 2007 and 2008, the yen 100+ per dollar. Today, it is ~80 yen per dollar, a 20%+ decrease in the value of the USD. The forecast I've seen do not suggest it will reach the 100+ yen/dollar level any time soon. Its easy to blame Canon if they go with plastic bodies, but they have to do what they have to do given its produced entirely in Asia.

Let's make them over here.... we need employment. They make Honda and Toyota over here, right?

One of the big differences is the cost of transportation of autos vs. cameras, a factor that makes domestic production of autos make more sense. IIRC, Canon has done a large expansion in their Taichung factory in Taiwan that I'd think they would favor over setting up shop in the US.

Upvote 0
Recent plastic bodies have used SD cards, does this mean that the 60D will use SD cards? Seems like Canon wants to shift away from CF cards, The Top of the Line Canon 1Ds III uses 1 CF and 1 SD card, while the Top of the Line Nikon D3x uses TWO CF cards.

I have too many SanDisc Extreme IV cards to buy a camera that uses Inferior SD cards.

Upvote 0
W

wuschba

3 month ago, I was in 2 photo-shops asking about buying a 550D compared to a 7D. I as well visited some forums asking the same Question. Everybody told me to buy a magnesium-body, the arguments went from better pictures over more starchiness (which should be better... somehow...) over better protection against moisture to "it's just another feeling - you just don't want to go back from a 20D to a plastic body". So the body was the main reason I didn't buy a 550D then, and too much functions (for too much money) where the reasons I didn't buy a 7D.

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

dilbert said:
wuschba said:
3 month ago, I was in 2 photo-shops asking about buying a 550D compared to a 7D. I as well visited some forums asking the same Question. Everybody told me to buy a magnesium-body, the arguments went from better pictures over more starchiness (which should be better... somehow...) over better protection against moisture to "it's just another feeling - you just don't want to go back from a 20D to a plastic body". So the body was the main reason I didn't buy a 550D then, and too much functions (for too much money) where the reasons I didn't buy a 7D.

Let me put it to you this way: you went to a store asking a salesman whether you should buy a cheap camera or an expensive camera and he recommended the expensive one.

Gee, I wonder why? Could it be because they make more money from selling the 7D than they do from the 550D?

All he has to do is make up some bullshit excuse that sounds plausible and you're sold! A salesman is a salesman, whether he's selling used cars or new cameras.

Most important to me on my 40D were the controls and displays. I like the mag body, but truthfully, as long as it is quality plastic, I just want that spin wheel, the joystick, etc. For me, that separates the xxD from the XXXD series.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.