EOS-M Annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2012
So I threw my new M in my pocket to walk around. Then I noticed something growing in my pocket (no not that) and it was getting warm. I take out the camera and it was on. So it turns out it is fairly easy to hit the on/off button in my pocket. I also noticed that when off the Play button activates the lens in and out one time. So that button is annoying too.

I don't know if I will be able to pocket this thing.

bainsybike said:
I don't know why the Play button turns the camera on, but I wish it didn't. When I pick the camera up or take it out of its bag, my thumb often falls on that button and switches it on unintentionally. It would be nice to be able to disable that feature - maybe a firmware update?? Canon???

It's because that's what they play button does on P&S cameras. Turns them on and wakes them up.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Drizzt321 said:
bainsybike said:
I don't know why the Play button turns the camera on, but I wish it didn't. When I pick the camera up or take it out of its bag, my thumb often falls on that button and switches it on unintentionally. It would be nice to be able to disable that feature - maybe a firmware update?? Canon???
It's because that's what they play button does on P&S cameras. Turns them on and wakes them up.

Not exactly. Pressing the play button on my S95/S100 turns it on in 'playback mode' - the lens doesn't extend. On the M, the lens (inner barrel) extends.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Drizzt321 said:
bainsybike said:

Not exactly. Pressing the play button on my S95/S100 turns it on in 'playback mode' - the lens doesn't extend. On the M, the lens (inner barrel) extends.

Oh, good point. I thought he was referring that it turns the camera back on, but just in review mode. I haven't played around enough with it to see that it actives the lens extension as if it was in take photos mode :(

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

also, I wish that one of these chinese companies would make a modestly priced tilt adaptor for the ef-m mount, they make plenty for the m43 cameras and sony nex, surely an ef-m one must be possible.

There is an expensive nikon to ef-m tilt shift adaptor, but I see m43 tilt only adaptors for a quarter of the price.

A system where there are lots of cheap lenses, say minolta MD tilt adaptor to EF-m?

NB> These annoyances are down to my expectations, not necessarily the fault of the camera.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
Wish there was a menu item to semi-permanently disable touch shutter.

There have been a couple of times where I left the camera on, slung it over my shoulder, and due to contact with my body or elbow or something, touch shutter was turned on via the button on the touchscreen, and it began taking pictures.

The funny thing is that some of these accidental exposures are interesting - like surprise street photography. Still, I never use touch shutter and I wish I could have it not waste battery/card space.

Upvote 0
DRR said:
Wish there was a menu item to semi-permanently disable touch shutter.

There have been a couple of times where I left the camera on, slung it over my shoulder, and due to contact with my body or elbow or something, touch shutter was turned on via the button on the touchscreen, and it began taking pictures.

The funny thing is that some of these accidental exposures are interesting - like surprise street photography. Still, I never use touch shutter and I wish I could have it not waste battery/card space.

There is a soft button (touchscreen) on the bottom left. Make sure you press info until you see basic exposure settings and then you'll see it. It looks like a hand and says "off". That lets you toggle touch shutter. Hit info two more times and you wont see any more options. Should be safe to touch now as all it will do is auto focus. You can switch the beep noise off too so you wont hear it when its bouncing about.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Zv said:
drjlo said:
Is there a way to hit a button to "magnify' to view after image has been taken? It seems like only way is to use the touchscreen and spread with fingers. On my DSLR, I have the "set" button assigned to magnify the image to check focus, etc.
Why? Touchscreen method is faster and easier.

Except when I inadvertently swipe to the previous image instead of zooming - that doesn't happen with a button press. ;)

Upvote 0
Zv said:
drjlo said:
Is there a way to hit a button to "magnify' to view after image has been taken? It seems like only way is to use the touchscreen and spread with fingers. On my DSLR, I have the "set" button assigned to magnify the image to check focus, etc.

It'd be nice if there was a button we could set for that. Reason being, if I'm holding the camera one handed, I can still zoom in and move around if I have just the right hand, while otherwise I need to at a minimum either rest it on something, or use both hands. Honestly, it was a bit confusing at first before I realized it supported multi-touch gestures. A case of RTFM really.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Zv said:
drjlo said:

Except when I inadvertently swipe to the previous image instead of zooming - that doesn't happen with a button press. ;)

Can u imagine if it was swipe to delete? Now that would be a problem! Btw is your touchscreen set to stantard or sensitive?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.