EOS R5 Freeze /lock up issues

Jun 12, 2015
I’ve had Error 70 on a R6, and now with a R5, that I received today (after returning the R6). The issue is similar on both. I connect the camera with Bluetooth, with my iPhone. When I try to shoot remotely, the camera freezes up. Sometimes I can turn it off. Other times I need to pull the battery out. It happens every time.

I’ve tried to reinstall the app on my iPhone, but it didn’t work. I changed my iPhone from I had the R6 to now, so I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with the phone.

The issue is very annoying, of course. Has anyone else had the same issue when shooting remotely with the Bluetooth connection?

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
On our Polish forum of Canon equipment users, in the thread about the R5 some guy wrote these words:

Hello, unfortunately I am a "live" user, whom first crashed and restarted R5 and then Err 70 appeared a week ago. I drove to the service and the motherboard was replaced. It lasted for three days. I hope, this is the first and last fault, that happened to me as a user of this brand for over 25 years...

Upvote 0
Wanted to give everyone an update on the freezing issue I experienced, and my experience after sending it into Canon for service & repair: After further troubleshooting on my own, I found that the freezing issue seems to never occur if I shoot to just the SD card slot (and leaving the CF Express bay empty). I decided to contact Canon support (US/North America), since I have a big photography trip coming up in the winter. I outlined all the symptoms and troubleshooting steps I have undertaken. I also provided them with the brands and models of the CFExpress/SD cards that I use, and all the lens combinations for which I've seen the freezing issue. Canon support wrote back very quickly, stating that they appreciate that I have already taken most of the troubleshooting steps that they would have first recommended. I told them I'm willing to wait for the new firmware, if they believe that's the issue (this was just before 1.2.0 came out). Instead, they offered to provide me with a free overnight shipping label to have it sent in for factory repair. This, to me, suggested that they didn't believe it was a firmware issue.

I sent my R5 in right away. I thought that since the shipping label was provided by Canon, that maybe my camera's information is already "in the system" and neglected to print out or write up a repair request form to include with my camera (describing the problem). That assumption was wrong and caused some delays with their intake process. In retrospect, I should've just printed out my email thread with Canon Support -- that would have been enough to give the Canon Tech doing the intake to know what to do with my camera.

I sent my camera on November 16, and got it back December 3. Keep in mind that because I didn't include anything to let them know what I sent the camera in for, that wasted a 3-4 business days, and the intake process didn't end up completing until November 23 (which was then Thanksgiving week). From that point, it took them roughly 7 business days to repair, and 1 business day for quality check and shipping preparations (according to the Canon USA's repair status tracker, on its website). On December 2 it was sent via overnight shipping back to me.

According to the repair form they sent back to me: "Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board did not operate properly causing an error to be displayed and to freeze from time to time. The circuit board was replaced. Product functions were confirmed." My camera settings were all set to factory default (annoying, but expected), and I noticed they installed Firmware 1.2.0 for me as well (it came out while my R5 was there).

I have put my R5 through its paces since getting it back -- over the past few days, I've shot roughly 1,500 pictures, and so far the freezing issue has not shown up at all (keep in mind that previously, it showed up numerous times in the 4,600 shots that I had up to that point). I will continue to keep an eye out and will certainly come back here with an update later. For what it's worth, as someone else reported here, the autofocus also seems to work better, but I admit that could just be confirmation bias on my part.

So, here's some of my thoughts, based on my experience, for those who might be experiencing the same thing:
- Try to troubleshoot as much as you can. Take out the CFExpress and shoot only SD card; make a note of which lens combinations you're using when you experience the freezing issue; try shooting with different cards (if you have them); etc. If you've ever seen your camera show an error code, be sure to write down or remember which error number it was displaying. (For me, it usually just freezes. But once, it froze and displayed ERROR 70 on the back LCD screen).
- Don't hesitate to reach out to Canon Support. I found them to be very responsive and helpful. For Canon USA, it seems they take their commitment to get the camera repaired within 7 business days (not including shipping time) very seriously.
- Yes, it sucks to even need to send a brand new camera, but Canon Support understands that. I *politely* voiced my disappointment, especially given the overwhelming reliability I have experienced from my previous Canon cameras, and they made it clear that they want to make it right.
- Make sure to include a write-up about your troubleshooting steps, symptom, etc. If you already communicated with Canon Support via email, just print that out and include it with your camera when you ship it. I also included a proof of purchase (my invoice from B&H, where I bought my R5).

Sorry for the long post, but I really hope these information will be helpful to anyone else out there experiencing similar issues and on the fence about whether to send it into Canon for service & repair.

/
I've shot ~4600 shots thus far with my R5 since receiving it in early October, and love it so far. With that said, unfortunately the freezing/lock-up issue absolutely is a thing. In my experience it has only ever happened while combined with the EF 500 MkII + using the electronic shutter + shooting continuously. I have not seen it in the other lens combo I've used it with (EF 100-400 II, RF 24-105 f/4), but I also have not tested those lenses with electronic shutter/fast continuous shooting.
It has happened to me three or four times now, and caused me to miss shots each time (usually in the middle of a burst while tracking birds in flight shots). Each time it hanged for 10-20 seconds or so (turning off the camera does not do anything), and then rebooted by itself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Wanted to give everyone an update on the freezing issue I experienced, and my experience after sending it into Canon for service & repair: After further troubleshooting on my own, I found that the freezing issue seems to never occur if I shoot to just the SD card slot (and leaving the CF Express bay empty). I decided to contact Canon support (US/North America), since I have a big photography trip coming up in the winter. I outlined all the symptoms and troubleshooting steps I have undertaken. I also provided them with the brands and models of the CFExpress/SD cards that I use, and all the lens combinations for which I've seen the freezing issue. Canon support wrote back very quickly, stating that they appreciate that I have already taken most of the troubleshooting steps that they would have first recommended. I told them I'm willing to wait for the new firmware, if they believe that's the issue (this was just before 1.2.0 came out). Instead, they offered to provide me with a free overnight shipping label to have it sent in for factory repair. This, to me, suggested that they didn't believe it was a firmware issue.

I sent my R5 in right away. I thought that since the shipping label was provided by Canon, that maybe my camera's information is already "in the system" and neglected to print out or write up a repair request form to include with my camera (describing the problem). That assumption was wrong and caused some delays with their intake process. In retrospect, I should've just printed out my email thread with Canon Support -- that would have been enough to give the Canon Tech doing the intake to know what to do with my camera.

I sent my camera on November 16, and got it back December 3. Keep in mind that because I didn't include anything to let them know what I sent the camera in for, that wasted a 3-4 business days, and the intake process didn't end up completing until November 23 (which was then Thanksgiving week). From that point, it took them roughly 7 business days to repair, and 1 business day for quality check and shipping preparations (according to the Canon USA's repair status tracker, on its website). On December 2 it was sent via overnight shipping back to me.

According to the repair form they sent back to me: "Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board did not operate properly causing an error to be displayed and to freeze from time to time. The circuit board was replaced. Product functions were confirmed." My camera settings were all set to factory default (annoying, but expected), and I noticed they installed Firmware 1.2.0 for me as well (it came out while my R5 was there).

I have put my R5 through its paces since getting it back -- over the past few days, I've shot roughly 1,500 pictures, and so far the freezing issue has not shown up at all (keep in mind that previously, it showed up numerous times in the 4,600 shots that I had up to that point). I will continue to keep an eye out and will certainly come back here with an update later. For what it's worth, as someone else reported here, the autofocus also seems to work better, but I admit that could just be confirmation bias on my part.

So, here's some of my thoughts, based on my experience, for those who might be experiencing the same thing:
- Try to troubleshoot as much as you can. Take out the CFExpress and shoot only SD card; make a note of which lens combinations you're using when you experience the freezing issue; try shooting with different cards (if you have them); etc. If you've ever seen your camera show an error code, be sure to write down or remember which error number it was displaying. (For me, it usually just freezes. But once, it froze and displayed ERROR 70 on the back LCD screen).
- Don't hesitate to reach out to Canon Support. I found them to be very responsive and helpful. For Canon USA, it seems they take their commitment to get the camera repaired within 7 business days (not including shipping time) very seriously.
- Yes, it sucks to even need to send a brand new camera, but Canon Support understands that. I *politely* voiced my disappointment, especially given the overwhelming reliability I have experienced from my previous Canon cameras, and they made it clear that they want to make it right.
- Make sure to include a write-up about your troubleshooting steps, symptom, etc. If you already communicated with Canon Support via email, just print that out and include it with your camera when you ship it. I also included a proof of purchase (my invoice from B&H, where I bought my R5).

Sorry for the long post, but I really hope these information will be helpful to anyone else out there experiencing similar issues and on the fence about whether to send it into Canon for service & repair.

/
Thanks for sharing your experience. Great that you haven’t had any lockup’s since the repair. This is quite concerning though, the fact that it is not a firmware related issue but a problem with the circuit board. Makes me wonder how many cameras are affected?

personally I’ve had one lockup after 6 photo shoots and about 6-7000 photos taken... so not quite at the point that I would be wanting to send it in to Canon... but may have to in the future if the problem persists...

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
A freeze up really sucks, more so for those using the camera for work.

According to the shutter count app, I have 44,000 actuations on the R5 and have never had a lock up.

I use everything from 16-35, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 ver 3, 100-400 and 300 2.8 and RF 85mm and 24-105. Have not tried the 400 2.8 EF on it yet.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Thanks for sharing your experience. Great that you haven’t had any lockup’s since the repair. This is quite concerning though, the fact that it is not a firmware related issue but a problem with the circuit board. Makes me wonder how many cameras are affected?

personally I’ve had one lockup after 6 photo shoots and about 6-7000 photos taken... so not quite at the point that I would be wanting to send it in to Canon... but may have to in the future if the problem persists...

I personally wouldn't raise concern over a single lockup instance (especially if it occurs within the first month of ownership and/or first 1000 shots taken)...however, if it happens again during a different shooting session, or becomes a frequent or even intermittent deal...that's a problem IMO (reliability issue).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mr Elegante, this is a hugely helpful post. Thanks for taking the time to list out all the details. That helps all of us debug things. I'm very curious about the fact you seemed to notice only periods without error when you were not shooting with a CFexpress card on board. Of course, that might not be causal, as it's an intermittent problem, but could you indicate what make and model of CFexpress cards you've been using? Some people have some threads running elsewhere where we're trying to narrow things down. I think that might be helpful.

Thanks! -tig

/

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Tiggy, thanks for the excellent writeup. I have not had a freeze up, but I cancelled a big session due to the virus getting out of control here.

I hope the new board solved it. It was likely the processor main board, so all your camera settings went with the board. I wonder if you got a new one or a refurbished board. Depending on the condition of the failed one, they may scrap it or repair it for reuse in another camera. They will reset everything on the board.

I just sent my phone in for a new battery. I never know if they find some other component damaged from the swelling battery, so I did a total reset to take all my info out of the phone. I don't want the main board and all my information on my phone to pass to a unknown business that does board repairs.

Upvote 0
I had the R5 for one week now. I have the same problems with mechanical shutter. Can not follow birds. So now I use Electronic shutter only when light is adequate.
My camera froze on me yesterday while shooting birds. Had to take out battery.
BUT I'VE ENCOUNTERED ANOTHER PROBLEM: when I put the cap on my lenses(and don't shut off the camera) the lens is continuously trying to focus ( I shoot in servo mode with back button focus). I tried it on my 200-400; my 70-200 and 50mm. Imagine if you forget to turn off your camera and store your gear for a week. Your ultrasonic motor will be dead. I wrote to canon about this and they asked that I returned to repair. I checked with my vendor and they are replacing the camera for me after we check that its not the adaptor to my EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I had the R5 for one week now. I have the same problems with mechanical shutter. Can not follow birds. So now I use Electronic shutter only when light is adequate.
BUT I'VE ENCOUNTERED ANOTHER PROBLEM: when I put the cap on my lenses(and don't shut off the camera) the lens is continuously trying to focus ( I shoot in servo mode with back button focus). I tried it on my 200-400; my 70-200 and 50mm. Imagine if you forget to turn off your camera and store your gear for a week. Your ultrasonic motor will be dead. I wrote to canon about this and they asked that I returned to repair. I checked with my vendor and they are replacing the camera for me after we check that its not the adaptor to my EF lenses.
Have you turned off Continuous AF on page 1 of the AF menus?

16120289033097538713953826735543.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Thank you so much. It works. And to think canon suggested I return camera for repair and retailer was prepared to exchange. Now what does continus af do? I will look it up.
My appreciation goes to you for helping
I honestly have no idea why it is a default setting:
  • It drains the battery
  • Makes focusing harder if you are moving from distant to close subjects.
  • The Camera is always hunting for focus.
I get continuous autofocus for video but was a strange choice for stills on Canons part.

Upvote 0
Hi. Just a thought and I'm sure you have tried everything but, in the AF menu, section 1, make sure the 'Contunous AF' has been disabled or it will continually try to focus even when your not touching any controls.
Cheers. Al.

Upvote 0
Hi. Just a thought and I'm sure you have tried everything but, in the AF menu, section 1, make sure the 'Contunous AF' has been disabled or it will continually try to focus even when your not touching any controls.
Cheers. Al.
Hi, sorry, just saw the comment and picture above! Must read the whole thread first, lol. Glad it's sorted anyway.

Upvote 0
Update! Since my fist post I have swapped CF express cards and now using Sony Tough 128gb 1700r 1400w card and fingers crossed not had a lock up since. Still have a SD card in slot 2 for back up though.
Interesting and tends to confirm what a lot of people wondered if the memory card can cause the camera to freeze. I've only used the Sony Tough in my R5 and have never experienced a lockup.

Upvote 0
I experienced a lockup today. At the worse possible moment too. Covering a football (soccer) game when a player just scored and ran right towards me celebrating. Made me miss the shot.

I had to pull the battery to get the camera to start up again. Shooting on the Canon 200-400 tele and using CF Express cards.

Not cool.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I personally wouldn't raise concern over a single lockup instance (especially if it occurs within the first month of ownership and/or first 1000 shots taken)...however, if it happens again during a different shooting session, or becomes a frequent or even intermittent deal...that's a problem IMO (reliability issue).
Just an update since this post...

So far I have had a further 2 lock ups. So now 3 in total. This is after about 10 photo shoots and roughly 10-11,000 total photos taken. It seems to be happening roughly every second shoot now.

I have been shooting on my Sandisk 512gb CF express card, but might try just a regular SD card to see if this is the problem?

There has been at least one R5 owner who has had their cameras motherboard replaced by Canon and this still hasn’t fixed the issue. I am reluctant to send the camera away and so far the problem isn’t quite bad enough to be a major issue for me. I was planning to wait for the next firmware update to see if this provides a fix... but that has been delayed by a couple of months which is a shame!

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Unfortunate, sorry to hear of those still having issues. One thing I’ve truly enjoyed with the latest Canon DSLRs is their reliability (and I understand that not everyone has been so fortunate with them either).

Is it a specific action (or series of actions) that leads to these freezes? Or perhaps in certain use conditions (very cold, very hot, etc.)? Or do the episodes seem fairly randomized? The unfortunate side effect of cameras becoming more computerized is that computers tend to be....yeah. Perhaps things will stabilize after some firmware updates....or maybe a couple of camera generations.

Upvote 0