Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
PhotoBadger said:
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Any wisdom would be very gratefully received.

Pete

Thats alot of redundant gear to be using on crop system you have. Ditch the 70-300L, it will be too slow but keep it in an assitants bag or in the car. I doubt it will get much use.

A 135mm f/2 or a 70-200 2.8 will required, but the 85mm might be enough to get by with.

Get a 5D if you can. Great camera and does make your system more versatile.

You need a reflector W/ diffuser scrim for posed shots. It will make your photos amazing.

Get a reportage list!!! Scout ALL LOCATIONS AHEAD OF TIME!!! <-------This is far more important than any equipment.

Be cool and prepared for the worst. It will happen.

The 70-300L makes a good portrait lens

Indeed. Also, depending on style, it can help tremendously with the just bride and groom from the back of the auditorium shot. I used a 70-200, but, if the room is bright enough, I am more than certain a 70-300 will do fine.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I found a few recent photos taken outside with just using a Large 60" scrim. Its a quick setup and get good results for posed photos.

Its great for weddings too if there is harsh 12 o'clock light.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 2,524
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 2,511
Upvote 0
P

PhotoBadger

Again, lots of very useful stuff there - thank you all. Seriously looking at a 5D now, rather than a lens.

On the long lens argument (gosh, so sorry - I didn't mean to start a fight but really appreciate that you care ;)), I take the point on the 70-200 and will consider renting though there aren't many options locally.

I think I'd probably only use the 70-300 for outdoor candids from an unobtrusive distance. And I'm very happy to let the wifesistant lug it around.

Interesting comments on the wireless flash for the reception. I do have wireless triggers but had originally discounted it as too much faffing around, potentially intrusive and at risk of kids booting the light stands over. But I'll take them with me when I go to check the venue, see how it looks.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Your kit is fine.

For telephoto shots, I'd use the 85/1.8 as much as possible. I've used this lens at weddings and I found it perfect for reception speeches, candids, and telephoto shots at the ceremony.

Be careful with the 50/1.8. I've used this lens at weddings and a substantial percentage was ruined because of misfocus. The 85/1.8 is just so much better. I'm not sure if 50/1.4 would be a worthwhile investment - it's pretty close to 85/1.8. For 50 mm I'd use the 24-70.

I do own Sigma 30/1.4 and it's a nice lens. It has its optical foibles (doesn't get sharp when stopped down) but bokeh is exceptionally smooth. I can't wholeheartedly recommend this lens, but it's fun to shoot wide open. A specialty lens.

Now, going beyond 85 mm. I think Brian's suggestion of 70-300 if it's outside daylight is a good one. 70-200/2.8 would be ideal though. You could look into renting it, but I think you can shoot a wedding competently without and just use 85/1.8. Maybe think about the couple and think about their expectations. I've got a Tokina 50-135/2.8 for these type of photos but sadly they don't make this lens anymore....

BTW another option for a fast cheapish prime is 135/2.8 SF (just don't use the SF part, so 1980s...)

Upvote 0
PhotoBadger said:
Again, lots of very useful stuff there - thank you all. Seriously looking at a 5D now, rather than a lens.

On the long lens argument (gosh, so sorry - I didn't mean to start a fight but really appreciate that you care ;)), I take the point on the 70-200 and will consider renting though there aren't many options locally.

I think I'd probably only use the 70-300 for outdoor candids from an unobtrusive distance. And I'm very happy to let the wifesistant lug it around.

Interesting comments on the wireless flash for the reception. I do have wireless triggers but had originally discounted it as too much faffing around, potentially intrusive and at risk of kids booting the light stands over. But I'll take them with me when I go to check the venue, see how it looks.

I would recommend not buying an original 5D right now, especially if you need it for weddings. 2005 release date, no way, get a 5D Mark II. Hands down it's worth the money for what you'll be doing and you need the reliability. You'll have no idea on shutter count on a 5D. You will notice the resolution difference, sorry. Did you really mean an original 5D?

If you already have the 70-300L, use it. Outside.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
on a crop the 50 is going to be like shooting 80 its very tight in a reception
perhaps the sigma 30f1.4 is a better choice
I usually go with a 50f1.4 and 16-35f2.8 on FF bodies for the reception
now i just wish sigma would make a 50 f1.4 like their 85

I'll second the Sigma 30 f/1.4

It may help you get some slightly wider shots than the 50, I love mine on a crop camera.

Upvote 0
to the OP: honestly you are are going to be fine with your current set up. If anything do as others have suggested and buy/rent a FF body.

Obviously if you are doing this for friends you want to make sure their day is special, but since you aren't being paid don't go over board with a bunch of stuff you have to cart around with you all day. After all I assume you want to enjoy the day celebrating your friends as much as you want to also capture it. Set expecations low, then they will be pleasantly surprised when you deliver the goods!

If it was me, I'd bring the 7D, 24-70, a flash, and be done with it.

Upvote 0
robbymack said:
to the OP: honestly you are are going to be fine with your current set up. If anything do as others have suggested and buy/rent a FF body.

Obviously if you are doing this for friends you want to make sure their day is special, but since you aren't being paid don't go over board with a bunch of stuff you have to cart around with you all day. After all I assume you want to enjoy the day celebrating your friends as much as you want to also capture it. Set expecations low, then they will be pleasantly surprised when you deliver the goods!

+1

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

PhotoBadger said:
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Any wisdom would be very gratefully received.

Pete

A faster lens is not necessarily the solution for your dilemma since you already have f/1.8 primes. Even if you got a EF 50mm f/1.2L, you wouldn't even gain a full stop of light from f/1.8... You're image quality, sharpness, and bokeh would definitely improve by upgrading to a higher end prime, but keep in mind that you can't shoot everything at low apertures because the DOF is too narrow for many situations. I shoot wedding and use the 50mm f/1.2L and the 24mm f/1.4L but usually don't shoot at f/1.2-1.4... or even f/2.8 for that matter... If you're concerned about maintaining a high enough shutter speed for moving subjects or to compensate for camera shake, you should increase your ISO setting and/or use a speedlite. I wouldn't shoot the 7D over ISO 3200 though and that is pushing it IMO especially if you're going to be shooting with available low light. If you nail the exposure with a speedlite, then ISO 3200 is ok on the 7D. So as a solution to this problem you might want to consider purchasing a new body instead of a faster lens. Maybe a 5D Mark II or Mark III? The Mark III is king in low light and I've been using it's ISO performance a lot in the last couple weddings, boosting up to ISO 12800 in dim ballrooms with multicolored mood lighting ;). It allows me to achieve an effect different than shooting on camera flash or with a monolight or speedlite on a light stand in many situations. However, the Mark III is expensive and the Mark II still does an reasonable job at ISO 6400 in low light situations. Just need to apply a bit of noise reduction in post processing. ;) If you're on a budget, then maybe look for a used 5D Mark II. Hope this helps and best of luck to you! ;)

Upvote 0
Toss on a good tripod, use the 7D/24-70 and have fun. Take the Sigma 10-20 on the 400D and show a few folks how to shoot (auto) - you'll never know what a kid will find (reception only). The YN560's with wireless triggers for the static posed shots - have people hold them if you don't have/want to deal with stands.

Since this is all crop, the 70-300L is only going to play in if you're shooting from the back of a very large room or there is a really REALLY tight shot you're trying for. Ask them for specific photos that matter - those 10 shots are what you need to focus on and have fun with the rest.

Remember, you're a friend too and should be in some of these photos. Bug them to see who else the know that may have any kit or interest - you may find a gem.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
robbymack said:

+1

You will get one or two stops better high iso noise performance on a 5DII than a 7D, which makes up for slower lenses. Keep in mind that the wider your aperture, the greater your risk of misfocusing. Especially when you are shooting your first few weddings, it is possibly better to be conservative in what you shoot.

My wife's experience has been that there is little time for changing lenses. Especially at the reception, you risk missing shots. Her first couple of weddings, she shot almost exclusively with the 24-105 f/4L (second shooting). She now takes along the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 50mm f/1.4 and 15mm f/2.8 fisheye (that is really an optional lens, but it doesn't weigh much).
Her biggest complaint at the moment is the AF system on the 5DII, but that will get sorted when she gets a 5DIII.

The 5DII is a much more forgiving camera than the 7D, despite the fact that the 7D has better AF. If you are under pressure, that counts for a lot. Using good bounce flash technique, you can get away with pretty poor light and a f/4 lens with the 5DII.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Your current lens setup looks pretty good to me. The 50 f/1.8 is not the sharpest wide open, but most copies mix it with the best of them from f/5.6-f/8. I'd think the predominant comment in this thread so far is the best one, get another body, preferably FF. Even a low-mileage 5D classic is worth considering. It's a very good camera. You'd get one for $500 easily. If the budget is there, stretch to a pre-owned 5D2. This is a far better proposition and will be an ideal "buddy" to your current body. The excellent high ISO performance of a 5D2 will make up for your slower lenses in many situations.

Good luck with your new business.

PW

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
I am disappointed that you are not prepared to listen or learn from other peoples experience

I am well prepared to learn & listen, that's why I'm reading plenty of posts - see me asking about what 24-70 to get. It's just that your attitude and enthusiasm for all Canon no matter what wouldn't encourage me to take advice from *you*. But of course I am prepared to change my mind anytime if I see other evidence of professional-like unbiased advice. But time will tell, so no need to discuss this further from my side.

preppyak said:
Marsu42 said:
the 70-300L on crop imho just isn't a wedding lens - and as I wrote, I have it, too
I'll disagree, with the caveat being that the ceremony has to be outdoors.

Ok, I should have added that of course - I had your standard wedding in mind, civil reg office & church inside, then group shots & portraits outside and later on, and the sun's not always shining... I just wanted to make sure the op knows the limitations of shooting and esp. af'ing with f4-5.6(!) inside, if he didn't happen to have tried it himself. And if it's a friend who's getting the shots, they shouldn't be too concerned if they're not getting 85L-style bokeh in portraits.

The 70-300L is a fine and not too heavy lens that is sharp wide open - that's why I bought it after all. But for me, it's always most interesting to hear people point out shortcomings of equipment they actually own rather than globally recommend it.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
briansquibb said:
I am disappointed that you are not prepared to listen or learn from other peoples experience

I am well prepared to learn & listen, that's why I'm reading plenty of posts - see me asking about what 24-70 to get. It's just that your attitude and enthusiasm for all Canon no matter what wouldn't encourage me to take advice from *you*. But of course I am prepared to change my mind anytime if I see other evidence of professional-like unbiased advice. But time will tell, so no need to discuss this further from my side.

preppyak said:
Marsu42 said:
the 70-300L on crop imho just isn't a wedding lens - and as I wrote, I have it, too
I'll disagree, with the caveat being that the ceremony has to be outdoors.

Ok, I should have added that of course - I had your standard wedding in mind, civil reg office & church inside, then group shots & portraits outside and later on, and the sun's not always shining... I just wanted to make sure the op knows the limitations of shooting and esp. af'ing with f4-5.6(!) inside, if he didn't happen to have tried it himself. And if it's a friend who's getting the shots, they shouldn't be too concerned if they're not getting 85L-style bokeh in portraits.

The 70-300L is a fine and not too heavy lens that is sharp wide open - that's why I bought it after all. But for me, it's always most interesting to hear people point out shortcomings of equipment they actually own rather than globally recommend it.

Bryan Carnathan recommends this lens as a portrait lens. Is that heavy enough? ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.