• Other

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
The only reason to get a 1V over a 3 is for slightly better weather sealing, and the extra fps when you've got the Power Booster grip attached, or you want to run IR film (eos 3 fogs IR, 1V doesn't). I've got a PB-E2 on my EOS 3 for vertical framing, but I've never used HSC, only ever one shot at a time, I don't want to burn through a roll of film in 3.5 seconds. Also, EOS3 has the eye-control, 1V doesn't (it's great for street with my 40mm and Delta Pro 100). Both have the same 45pt AF of the 1Ds3 and 1D4.
Otherwise, both are roughly the same, spot-linked metering on the 3 is another plus that my 7D doesn't have.
And the 3 is $100-200, 1V goes for $400+.

Or if you don't want as high build quality or AF, just get an EOS 5 for $20...

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
My favorite is the FTb-n, the F-1's little brother. Partially for sentimental reasons, I learned the craft with this camera. Great micro-prism focus and 12% center spot meter. Fully manual and no dependency upon batteries for the shutter.

I've done more with AE-1 bodies, but only using manual exposure shooting. The electronic bodies are great for shutter speed accuracy and the FTb-n may need more maintenance to keep the shutter speed accurate.

However, if I were in the market for an FD film body, the F-1n would be my first choice. It has everything I like about the FTb-n and it's built like a tank.

+1 on the Canon QL-17 for something a tad smaller and lot quieter.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I can only answer Pentax K-1000! This camera is a literally a tank; it's all mechanical, all metal. You could definitly take any joke about the Nokia phone from the internet and replace it by the Pentax K-1000! ;) The only down side is that it is a bit hard to put the film in it the right way. After 30+ years and thousand of photos, it still looks and feels new.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Also, it's really sad that I may have to sell my beloved Bessa L soon. It's a great travel/hiking camera with my 21mm f/4 Skopar and Velvia 50, or jam in some FP4 125 and it's also a great wide street kit.

Of course, the only reason to sell is because I've just scored a Bessa R3A off ebay, with the 1x VF it's the most accurate RF behind a Leica M7, and also I've got a mint Canon 135/3.5 LTM lens in the post. I foresee some sneaky street-portraits with Tmax 400 in my future.

Maybe i'll just keep both bodies, the Bessa L is only $100...

Upvote 0
I don't own a 1 series film camera, so can't comment on those. But I own a lot of others. The Elan 7e and the Eos 3 are my favourites. I've had my 7e for over 10 years and it has been a great camera. Last year, I purchased an Eos 3. Overall, I'd agree that it is better than the 7e. Since buying the 3, the 7e has lived on the shelf.

For what its worth, my favourite film camera is a Mamiya 6, which is my no 1 camera. Also, despite some drawbacks, some of my favourite photos have been taken with a Mamiya RB67 Pro S (WOW - Didn't know there were so many other Mamiya people on this forum!). And I think this is where it gets interesting. Why would you want to shoot 35mm film given the superiority of digital over that format? Plus you've also got to consider the hassle of developing it. And the cost of buying film. If you shoot Large Format (or if you're not hard core enough, medium format like me), at least you can argue that you're on a similar quality level. And many large format cameras offer movements / adjustments that can give your photos a very unique look. The benefit of medium format is that you have very large negatives to play use. This makes developing and printing at home a lot easier. And serioulsy, given the prices right now, I'd be looking at a Hasselblad. And not that its that relevant, but for some reason, girls find guys with Hasselblad's very sexy. (Look at the advertising for a lot of premium brands and you'll be surprised how often these cameras appear).

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I picked a 3, because it is a favourite.

My favourite compact camera was my Ricoh GR1s (in champagne finish) still have my old Mju II in the cupboard, great pub camera with ilford xp2 loaded!

My favourite 35mm camera was actually my old zenit horizon. The results were ok, but tit was the winding and the noise and the occassion of taking a photograph. In contrast my 3 is so blandly, predictably efficient, although the horizon was probably quieter.

I also loved my ETRSi. I loved the head phurk of viewing the lateral reversed matte screen and doing a pan.

I used to use Minolta before canon, I suppose I always have a soft spot for the x-500, the SRT-303 and my first adult camera with proper options... the A2e (or EOS 5 as we called it)

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
As you can see from my profile image, that would be the Canon T90.

• Built like the proverbial brick latrine
  • Up to 9 combined average spot meter readings. The metering has a lot of other cool features too.
  • 5 fps (will burn through a roll of film in 7 seconds if you let it)
  • takes AA batteries
  • amazing viewfinder
  • love the form factor & Colani ergonomics; really the right size & shape, wish they'd do this again
  • grandaddy of all EOS 1 series cameras

etc. etc. etc.

The ownership proposition today is a little tricky as these were truly professional cameras & thus mostly used by professionals, which means that a lot of them that you find in the market are really beat to hell. They still work, but since Canon stopped making parts a long time ago you're kinda screwed if you have a problem. If you can find one in good shape, go for it. FD lenses are awesome & cheap as chips (just as EdMika :).

I've got an EOS 1n too just so that I have a good film body for all my EOS lenses. I think I paid about $150 for it in beat-up condition from B&H about 10 years ago. Also nice but doesn't do it for me the way the T90 did.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I voted AE-1 because I own one and it still works. I have a roll of film in it that I have to shoot this summer or take it out
and trash the film. I've heard of people developing pics after the film sat in the camera for years. I prefer Digital over Film.
I shot a lot of Kodak slide film and have some nice pics from the years that I used it. I haven't looked at them for many years and am not sure if they are still good or not.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hillsilly said:
I don't own a 1 series film camera, so can't comment on those. But I own a lot of others. The Elan 7e and the Eos 3 are my favourites. I've had my 7e for over 10 years and it has been a great camera. Last year, I purchased an Eos 3. Overall, I'd agree that it is better than the 7e. Since buying the 3, the 7e has lived on the shelf.

For what its worth, my favourite film camera is a Mamiya 6, which is my no 1 camera. Also, despite some drawbacks, some of my favourite photos have been taken with a Mamiya RB67 Pro S (WOW - Didn't know there were so many other Mamiya people on this forum!). And I think this is where it gets interesting. Why would you want to shoot 35mm film given the superiority of digital over that format? Plus you've also got to consider the hassle of developing it. And the cost of buying film. If you shoot Large Format (or if you're not hard core enough, medium format like me), at least you can argue that you're on a similar quality level. And many large format cameras offer movements / adjustments that can give your photos a very unique look. The benefit of medium format is that you have very large negatives to play use. This makes developing and printing at home a lot easier. And serioulsy, given the prices right now, I'd be looking at a Hasselblad. And not that its that relevant, but for some reason, girls find guys with Hasselblad's very sexy. (Look at the advertising for a lot of premium brands and you'll be surprised how often these cameras appear).

ROFLAO ;D

that's where I went wrong ! All those years I shot with a Pentax 6x7 :'(

Seriously though, I remember that in the 'old' days, those wanting to shoot 'glamour' were recommended to use cameras with waist level finders as generally the models were more comfortable with photographer looking down rather than straight at them.

To the OP, if you're going to include FD mount cameras I'm surprised you haven't included the wonderful F-1

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.