Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon may have finally fixed a lot of the freezing that has been occurring when shooting with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6. I’m not sure that “rare instances” is suitable, as it appeared to be a widespread problem.
Let us know in the forums if you run into any freezes after updating to the latest firmware.
Canon also plans to release new firmware in late March to further optimize AF operations.
Canon always appreciates user feedback on our products and services. Following the release of Firmware Version 1.5.0, we are in the process of developing an update to further optimize AF operations. We plan to publish details of the revised firmware in late March and will make an announcement on the Web site.
Canon EOS R5
Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following fix:

Fixes an issue that in rare instances, the camera may become inoperable when shooting in the Servo AF setting while operating...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Just to highlight the bigger news that there’s a more complete firmware coming towards the end of March. From the release notes:

“Following the release of Firmware Version 1.5.0, we are in the process of developing an update to further optimize AF operations. We plan to publish details of the revised firmware in late March and will make an announcement on the Web site.”

This release seems to tackle one very specific instance where the AF toggle causes an issue. Will download and check later this evening.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Re: the late March planned update, "to further optimize AF operations" sounds like Canon's way of acknowledging there were some AF problems with v1.5
It seems. However, looks like "it is urgent to wait"... :D
[EDIT] ... and stick to 1.4, especially if you never experienced any freeze.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
After downloading the R3 fix, my eye control totally froze up while shooting a basketball game. Only happened once so far, but turning off and on did not reset it. Hoping it is just a “rare occurrence.” Will be curious to see if these fixes generate other issues.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It does seem that some of the freezes we are experiencing are connected with mapping the AF/ON button to BBF, but I've had freezes when the shutter release and back buttons have been on the default settings, so the issue goes deeper than just BBF. Probably a few dodgy lines of code in the basic firmware, that causes conflicts when certain combinations of button and dial mapping are used.

I've downloaded v1.5.1, but I've got a major project to shoot in a couple of weeks time, so I don't intend to update the camera immediately - I'll wait until mid-March when I get home and have a clear window available for experimentation and testing. By then there should be plenty of feedback about whether the freezing has been fixed, and whether the AF issues that some have experienced with v1.5.0 have been eliminated.

Kudos to Canon for acting so quickly to get the updates launched though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My R5 bodies freeze so rarely, I'm going to wait for the next release in March so that I don't have to suffer any AF issue from the most recent update.

Ok, who am I fooling. That's what I'd do if I were rational. I'm going to inevitably break down and upgrade one of the bodies to the new firmware to do some AF split tests. Damn you, Canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Re: the late March planned update, "to further optimize AF operations" sounds like Canon's way of acknowledging there were some AF problems with v1.5
My thoughts exactly. By leading with "Canon always appreciates user feedback...", that is definitely the PR department's way of saying "we effed some stuff up, y'all caught it, we'll fix it." :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I don't know who wrote this, but I'd say widespread is a stretch. Rare was very fair. I've never had a lock up, and most others haven't. The internet wasn't melting down, it was literally just this forum and maybe other forums. Which lets be honest, the weird issues people encounter on here makes me wonder a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
My R5 bodies freeze so rarely

Both of mine consistently freeze if:

They're connected to my phone via Bluetooth,

location data is enabled through Camera Connect,

and I take a picture about 5 seconds after waking the camera up from sleep (AFAICT, at the moment that location data finally starts making it from the phone to the camera).

Sounds like this update doesn't address that one.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've yet to install version 1.5 and never had my R5 freeze. I may update after the March firmware comes out. I'd expect that it is testing now, it takes a lot of testing and even then, bugs creep in.
Are you shooting with all buttons on default settings, or have you mapped some to alternative functions?

Upvote 0
I have appreciated how quickly Canon has reacted to fixing bugs in the R5 and R6.

HOWEVER, I can't help but get annoyed that after almost two years, Canon has continued to ignore adding certain features to the R5 and R6 that make them immensely better.

1) Why doesn't the R6 still not have custom shooting modes in video but the EOS R does?
2) IBIS. No need to say more.
3) The 30-minute limit. It's not a law anymore so it is clearly a crippling mechanism. It's hilarious because it's not like we can shoot in 4k or higher for extended periods of time on the R5 and R6 internally anyways but it will help for simple 1080p recording.

It's so frustrating because I appreciate adding cLog3 and advanced AF updates but the issues I stated above are so glaring and feel like we're purposely being ignored. That's all :)

Upvote 0
I uploaded the firmware update to move from v1.5.0 to install the v1.5.1 update on my R5 and received the following error pictured below. The byte count appears to wrong as the upload shows 51,873 KB while Canon website shows EOSR5151.FIR / file size: 53,117,856 bytes.

Attachments

• 20220217_112914.jpg
    20220217_112914.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220217_112928.jpg
    20220217_112928.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What does "operating the button" mean? Which button? Any assigned to activate Servo?
Yes, it's very poorly worded, I'd guess that they forgot to insert "AF/ON", as that is the button that seems to be causing the most problems when re-mapped to BBF.

But I think the issue is more complex than that - it's quite possible that freezes are occurring even when people are using all the buttons and dials on default settings. It's even possible that intermittent freezes could be related to activating certain power-hungry settings such as Digital Lens Optimiser.

Canon have rushed out v1.5.1 in response to the avalanche of complaints, but it could take several more updates before all the potential causes are eliminated. Canon will undoubtedly be continuing their investigations and further fixes to "improve stability" will probably come in the March update.

Upvote 0