Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

I have appreciated how quickly Canon has reacted to fixing bugs in the R5 and R6.

HOWEVER, I can't help but get annoyed that after almost two years, Canon has continued to ignore adding certain features to the R5 and R6 that make them immensely better.

1) Why doesn't the R6 still not have custom shooting modes in video but the EOS R does?
2) IBIS. No need to say more.
3) The 30-minute limit. It's not a law anymore so it is clearly a crippling mechanism. It's hilarious because it's not like we can shoot in 4k or higher for extended periods of time on the R5 and R6 internally anyways but it will help for simple 1080p recording.

It's so frustrating because I appreciate adding cLog3 and advanced AF updates but the issues I stated above are so glaring and feel like we're purposely being ignored. That's all :)
The R5/6 have IBIS. Not sure what you are referring to but you do need to say more!
Why can't the R5 remap the Rate button to something useful? It looks like the R5c will be able to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I uploaded the firmware update to move from v1.5.0 to install the v1.5.1 update on my R5 and received the following error pictured below. The byte count appears to wrong as the upload shows 51,873 KB while Canon website shows EOSR5151.FIR / file size: 53,117,856 bytes.
You have to multiply: 51,873 KB x 1024

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
1) Why doesn't the R6 still not have custom shooting modes in video but the EOS R does?

Given dedicated modes on the R6 mode selector dial, I suspect adding custom video modes would be beyond the scope of firmware capabilities. The R mode selection method was lifted for use on the R5. The use of a mode dial with dedicated positions was deliberate on the R6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I have downloaded and installed 1.5.1 - seems to work ok but did no proper testing.

I had a strange thing never happened before. I downloaded to my Windows 11 download folder using Chrome. Every time I tried to copy the file to the memory card (in a reader) using file explorer, explorer would crash. I managed to copy it to the card with Edge. Never seen this before with other firmware updates. Has anyone seen anything similar?

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
OMG! All these comments about the new software fix are making me nervous. I've now got my camera so that it only freezes or crashes every 1500-2000 shots so I may wait until I get back from my next photo trip to the Yucatan to photograph flamingos next week. I'll see how things have panned out with it after I get back and then try it. My next big trip is 6 wks in Africa in Apr/May so hopefully the March update will solve all these issues, or at least make a big dent in them.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't know who wrote this, but I'd say widespread is a stretch. Rare was very fair. I've never had a lock up, and most others haven't. The internet wasn't melting down, it was literally just this forum and maybe other forums. Which lets be honest, the weird issues people encounter on here makes me wonder a lot.
If you have the problem it is widespread. If you don't, then it is rare.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]HOWEVER, I can't help but get annoyed that after almost two years, Canon has continued to ignore adding certain features to the R5 and R6 that make them immensely better.[..]
Canon almost never adds features to existing still cameras, I can think of only 2 times they did that, with the original M and the original 7D.
I would very much appreciate it if they did, things like the 'rebel' intervalometer and focus stacking should be available on all models.

Upvote 0
Canon almost never adds features to existing still cameras, I can think of only 2 times they did that, with the original M and the original 7D.
I remember Canon adding f8 centre point focussing to the 5D Mark III. There's also the more recent vehicle tracking which is likely part of what adedina was referring to. But it certainly is unusual.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I would very much appreciate it if they did, things like the 'rebel' intervalometer and focus stacking should be available on all models.
There was a significant upgrade in the long-lived 7D, which you mentioned:
  • Improved maximum burst for raw images (up to 25)
  • In-camera raw image editing
  • In-camera Image Rating
  • In-camera JPEG resizing
  • Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
  • etc

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There was a significant upgrade in the long-lived 7D, which you mentioned:
  • Improved maximum burst for raw images (up to 25)
  • In-camera raw image editing
  • In-camera Image Rating
  • In-camera JPEG resizing
  • Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
  • etc
It also made the red channel clip less, which came in very handy when visiting Malaysia with all the hibiscus flowers there. I wish Canon would do more of such updates, a year or so after EOL'ing a model.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I don't know who wrote this, but I'd say widespread is a stretch. Rare was very fair. I've never had a lock up, and most others haven't. The internet wasn't melting down, it was literally just this forum and maybe other forums. Which lets be honest, the weird issues people encounter on here makes me wonder a lot.
It's very difficult to know what percentage of people have experienced freezes, as we only pick up feedback here and on a couple of other websites, but it's pretty clear that the problem is widespread.

It's even quite likely that the fault is present in *every* R5 and R6, but that it only occurs in specific circumstances - e.g a particular combination of re-mapped custom buttons and menu settings.

It's also pretty obvious that *any* fault is more likely to occur in a camera that is heavily used. Some here have taken tens of thousands of shots, others may have only taken a few hundred.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I have downloaded and installed 1.5.1 - seems to work ok but did no proper testing.

I had a strange thing never happened before. I downloaded to my Windows 11 download folder using Chrome. Every time I tried to copy the file to the memory card (in a reader) using file explorer, explorer would crash. I managed to copy it to the card with Edge. Never seen this before with other firmware updates. Has anyone seen anything similar?
Copy and pasting files is a Windows thing, not a firmware thing. So you'll have to see if it gets a fix that will help you.

People are afraid of upgrading camera firmware to wait for bugs, rightfully so. The same applies to new Windows releases about 100 fold. I'd wait at least a full year before upgrading to Win 11. Maybe sooner if they issue the first service pack comprehensive update before 12 months.

Brian

Upvote 0