Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Cool stuff!
Did you do it yourself with the DIY kit or did they do it?
Can you say how much better it works with the heat sink mod? =)
I sent it in and paid the rush fee. So I was about $525 in and when I got it back, I had no improvements on times. I was using the Sandisk Extreme Pro CF 512gb Cards that apparently are not a good fit with the mod.

So I ordered the Sony Tough 512gb and the improvements showed from there. I got roughly 10 min extra record time and then cool down was much faster with about the same addition of 10 min versus stock.

I’ll post my results soon once I get done with it all. Maybe it will be my first YouTube video haha

OVERALL: it works, but the cost is higher than I think it should be. I would say $250 for the mod and not $400.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Thanks for the report! :)
Its not as much of an improvement as they indicate on their site. They describe it like "double" in general... :(
double is definitely exaggerated and it’s kind of annoying that they didn’t test it with All-I. Their marketing it at lower performance to showcase a new high performance. Not a fan of that… Overall, I think it definitely helps, but I need to see the real world test at a wedding or in Vegas for model shoots in the dunes. That’s the only two scenarios I’ve had that have overheated on me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I do (an Android one), but keeping them connected to each other is a chore.

Or do you suggest working with separate GPX track logs?
Is it really though? I've never had a problem with this on recent cameras. On the contrary, I've been more apt to leave GPS on unintentionally and suffer from battery drain on cameras that have it.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ah, read about the 5K 12-bit but didn’t see mention of the crop. Would you mind posting a link. Bit disappointed with the news, especially given the marketing push. Atomos would have been aware of what was coming through long in advance. Two years if their marketing blurb is to be believed.
If you scroll down to "Specs" its mentioned.

Jeah, I would fancy 4k RAW from the fulls sensor. I like the fullframe format very much. But 8k RAW is overkill for pretty much anything...
But anyway, its incredible what kind of image quality and video features we get out of an 4000€ stills camera :)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Ah, read about the 5K 12-bit but didn’t see mention of the crop. Would you mind posting a link. Bit disappointed with the news, especially given the marketing push. Atomos would have been aware of what was coming through long in advance. Two years if their marketing blurb is to be believed.
That is how RAW works.
The 5K RAW is a super 35/APS-C crop.
I wish Canon would give us that internally.

Upvote 0
I was having trouble with installing the new firmware on my R5. I followed all directions and it worked until I got to the last Menu screen to go ahead with the installation and where Cancel was selected and OK seemed to be grayed out. I called Canon tech support and found out that the only way to switch from Cancel to OK and go ahead and install the firmware upgrade was to use the dial that is around the Set button. You can't use touch screen or any other dial to select OK. Canon does not mention that in their 1.4.0 firmware install instructions and tech support has gotten a lot of calls on this, so I am just posting this here in case anyone else has had this issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Founded on stills because video didn't yet exist. That's like telling Ford to go back to the Model T.
This is such a poor analogy. What you are saying is that more than half of the Ford buyers out there are still buying/wanting the Model T then.

Honestly stills photography isn't go anywhere and Canon has produced some great new technology for it's users but it does seem like they ignore stills photographers with these firmware updates. How about they improve the auto focus system and tracking with a firmware update for the R5 & R6. How about giving us the option to select different frame rates in electronic shutter mode.

I and many others rather a stills camera without all the video fluff that is refined, fast and has a large megapixel count.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Overheating update:

After all the reports of others not having any success with 1.4 I decided to do a little more testing this morning. I am 98% sure I know why I am seeing such long runs, Airflow.

My tripod is setup in a space that allows for some of the airflow from a window fan to hit it and it seems that slight breeze is enough to keep the camera from hitting the thermal threshold when the outside temp is below 22c.

Moving my Camera to another room without the airflow resulted in 50mins and 55mins runs before thermal shutdown in room temps of around 23-24c.

I really got excited that something had changed but looks like it has not.

Sounds like Jared Polin ran into something similar - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSy-zRrlTD6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sorry for all my excited posts:cry:

Test Settings:
R5 Firmware - 1.4.0
CFExpress card - Sony Tough 128GB
SD Card - Sony Tough 64GB
Lens - RF 15-35 F2.8
4K-D 23.98 ALL-I
Canon Log enabled - C.LOG3
ISO - 800
Shutter - 1/50
Aperture - F2.8
Stabilization - ON
AF - ON

I might look into the Tilta fan after there are some more reviews on it. I did notice the spot on the back of the camera where the screen swings into hits 100F and above when the thermal warning appears, keep this area below 100F and I do not seem to be getting the warning.

Not sure I really trust my own testing at this point so take that for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0